Some painful (and expensive) lessons...

Monk
Thought I would share some of the my painful (and expensive) lessons. I am in no way an expert; just finding my way by learning from others. Hopefully, by all sharing, we can learn from each other and benefit. Background: I'm around 100K paper DPS doing mp 5-7 runs and haven't paid real money for gold. I prefer higher MF runs.

Lessons learnt:

1) Hoard cash before big patch
Each successive patch have generally devalue good items. In general, always cash stockpile, wait for 1-2 weeks for prices to stabilise after patch, then buy. I made the mistake of hoarding good legendaries before big patches. (top-notch items may have the opposite effect)

2) Optimising damage depends on where you stand. Think ahead.
When I was around 20-30K DPS, it was way more cost-effective to increase DPS through Dex, min/max Dmg, and IAS. CC/CD gave marginal benefit. Ratio of per unit increase in CC/Dex on DPS was close to 20. I spent my fortune on dex, dmg, IAS and got stuck at 50-70K dps. The ratio improves to 40-50 for higher DPS monks and I started re-gearing, focusing on slots that can up CC/CD. If I had looked ahead, I would have avoided the initial splurge.

3) Paper DPS is not good enough
Paper DPS is a good starting point but not sufficient. Aside from the issue of survivability vs dmg, I made the mistake of investing in LOH>LS because i plugged in paper DPS formulas. Spent a fortune on LOH. Doing actual DPS test runs helped me calculate effective DPS and uncover hidden bonuses of specific skills and items (e.g. WKL). The edited equations swung the other way. I had to re-gear again.

Interested to hear what your own lessons are. :)
stop !@#$ing buying radiant star gems then selling them 2 hours later cuz an upgrade is posted

just put stars in there til you are 100% satisfied with your gear

i must have lost 100M in AH fees to this alone since release
when AH'ing, make damned sure that you have your filters set correctly! a few times now, i have hit search, found something that looks AWESOME, at 1d12h, buy it quick before someone else does, then look carefully to find it doesn't have a socket, or movement speed or something else i was SURE i'd set on the filters.
Very glad you saved me the trouble of bringing up #3. Not that any of my lessons have been expensive, given that I don't buy items from the AH.
Revenge buying on AH:
Losing out on a bidding war with billionaires on a near BIS item. Rage and overpay for the next best but not-so-BIS item available.

Hits hardest when you input all those values in an eHP/DPS calc and really want to make that 10-20k dps jump and you fail in your bid 'cause others are richer than you. You make an erroneous choice and go for the 7-10k DPS boost at the same price.

Not knowing the key stats when you sell on AH:
I learnt this from other players' mistakes. Things like 8/9 ias may not seem to have much of a difference but when you sell on AH it can sometimes mean 100s of mil worth of difference. You may think you got a good price for your item, but when it gets sold within 30 seconds of appearing on AH, maybe you got your price wrong.

Things that shoot fire from the floor/Wind up attacks:
You might think that these are things people tend to learn fast from. But there are quite a few paragon players on my list still committing these mistakes.

Don't stand/fight on the fire grates. No matter how tanky you think you are. If your friend died on the fire grates, get him to revive himself, don't even try to save him.

If you're a glass cannon monk, don't try to tank skull cleavers/bloated molarchs(?)/demonic tremors on mp10. Or back off after you hear the tell-tale wind-up sound. You'd think after the 1000000th time of being 1-shot, you might want to stand clear.
Although I personally haven't had to experience these lessons, I have learned in watching others about the costs of excessive use of lowly rolled legendaries and sets while still struggling to move up the DPS / survivability ranks, which set them up for unncecessary expensive upgrades far earlier than necessary.

Also paying too much attention to DPS and not enough attention to survivability, kind of covered in point #3).
When fighting uber-Leoric in melee range, observe his actions carefully. His animation for the 3-swing-attack is bugged and doesn't show proberly but instead he will walk very very slowly but you will still take huge damage from him 3 times.
The more expensive an item you are selling is, the more it pays to REALLY double check the number of zeros you put in the buy out price.
Revenge buying on AH:

Things that shoot fire from the floor/Wind up attacks:
You might think that these are things people tend to learn fast from. But there are quite a few paragon players on my list still committing these mistakes.

Don't stand/fight on the fire grates. No matter how tanky you think you are. If your friend died on the fire grates, get him to revive himself, don't even try to save him.

If you're a glass cannon monk, don't try to tank skull cleavers/bloated molarchs(?)/demonic tremors on mp10. Or back off after you hear the tell-tale wind-up sound. You'd think after the 1000000th time of being 1-shot, you might want to stand clear.

Also... Arcane lasers, when you see the tendrils... run.
I've been guilty of the revenge buying several times lol
Save gold, wait for gem dupers to crash the market, buy for 5mil, sell for 22 mil when Blizzard finally fixes the problem they officially say never existed in the first place.
12/03/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Demiwraith
The more expensive an item you are selling is, the more it pays to REALLY double check the number of zeros you put in the buy out price.

^Have done this a few times now =/ 90% off sale >.<
Take note of your armor # when you're selling items to the vendor or exit the game. That way you don't ever vendor that expensive piece..

I've done it 3x to date.. over 200+m worth of items
I recently upgraded my old 5.9% LS skorn to a higher damage out put 5.6% LS skorn.

I then proceeded to vendor my old skorn.

That was about 70 mil down the drain.
I recently upgraded my old 5.9% LS skorn to a higher damage out put 5.6% LS skorn.

I then proceeded to vendor my old skorn.

That was about 70 mil down the drain.

Ouch.
Ah flippers ouch ! XD
12/03/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Fitz
When fighting uber-Leoric in melee range, observe his actions carefully. His animation for the 3-swing-attack is bugged and doesn't show proberly but instead he will walk very very slowly but you will still take huge damage from him 3 times.

Not sure how this relates to OP. Also, what makes you think this is a bug? I thought it was a normal attack form him... people commonly call it the "spirit walk."

Lol epic

Wait for it

Wait

Fail
Take note of your armor # when you're selling items to the vendor or exit the game. That way you don't ever vendor that expensive piece..

I've done it 3x to date.. over 200+m worth of items

This. Double check gear or don't keep items you swap anywhere in your stash. Everyone thinks it can't happen to them, but its easy to lose track of items when you're on speed farm mode and clearing your inventory of trash rares. Sold an 85m ring and couldn't buy back. Now I keep none of my main gear on me.

That, and #1 for sure, though it can work both ways. Before 1.04, spent 90mil on two socketed fist weapons, and ended up reselling them for 3mil a piece after patch when I switched to skorn. Also got my skorn super cheap pre 1.05 at the time before people realized they're useless in higher mp without lifesteal. Also, people freaking out about 1.04 jewelry becoming valueless in 1.05 meant prices were low and no one was buying, which saved me over 100mil gold on trifecta items.

So I would add to #1, don't miss an opportunity to invest in the AH to make money around patch time.
12/03/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Totemnmypnts
Save gold, wait for gem dupers to crash the market, buy for 5mil, sell for 22 mil when Blizzard finally fixes the problem they officially say never existed in the first place.

That was the best day ever