Will Rubies (weapon) be buffed?

General Discussion
A quick search on the forums and you will find almost everyone in agreement; rubies in weapons past mid-game lose all their value.

Now I would LOVE to put a devastating ruby in my weapon instead of a crit gem; the change from spike damage to consistent damage would suite my build; however, I am unable to do so due to how low the damage is (+17/17 at star) compared to potential crit. damage (70%).

Dev's and CM's, can you comment on this? I don't know what would feel right in terms of numbers, but, for my build in particular changing the star to +70/70 would decrease my damage by almost 7%, but that is a hit I am willing to take for a more consistent damage stream.

and for the curious, at +17/17 my damage would drop about 11%.
I dont think they care, really.
12/03/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Hjelpen

They sure don't, I think the topaz weapon effect attests to this pretty well...
well the most common gem is purple and green in wep, they should buff red and yellow
and change the topaz to something more reasonable in a weapon, like life steal % instead of thorns.
12/03/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Baconweave

They sure don't, I think the topaz weapon effect attests to this pretty well...

Meele attackers take 1800 damage per hit vs 100% crit damage, I dont know what they were thinking when they did this.
You know what? I thought about this for a mere second a while back, and that was that. However, now that you mention it - This is actually a good suggestion.

ALL gems are pretty useful when placed in socketed items. That is of course with the exception of the Topaz and Ruby - when placed in weapons. Once you reach mid game, they are horrible weapon gems. That fact can not be argued with, so thumbs up to this suggestion.
12/03/2012 01:38 PMPosted by UnifiedEarth
and change the topaz to something more reasonable in a weapon, like life steal % instead of thorns.

That's what the Amethyst "Life on Hit" is for, and it works very well. However, not arguing with the fact that the Topaz and Ruby aren't well suited for weapons, when the other gems are well suited for anything they are placed in - weapon or not.
Would love to have a CM post on this, with the:
"We like where weapon rubies are." or the:
"we think we can do better, and will make a blog explaining how soon (tm) "
Rubies need to be changed to weapon damage % increase. They are to strong for the first 2 difficulty levels and they are a joke in infernal. By doing % damage they scale with your item level.
12/04/2012 02:16 PMPosted by ActChill
Rubies need to be changed to weapon damage % increase. They are to strong for the first 2 difficulty levels and they are a joke in infernal. By doing % damage they scale with your item level.

That's a really good idea.

Many of of the affixes, skills and enhancements are broken because they don't scale. And the game scales dramatically from normal to inferno and MP0-MP10.

Thorns - Worthless. If they scaled based on armor or vitality or something, it might be useful.
Templar healing skill - worthless because it doesn't scale as fast as the game. x%life and its useful.
Great idea with % damage!

How would it balance? I'm sure the dev's would figure it out on their own, but for the fun of it (I play more mathablo than Diablo) here is my logic...

+%damage should be for balance reasons worth less than %crit damage due to the consistent nature of it.

So, taking my toon in particular (profile correct as of 5Dec12), a +30% damage gem (would be max) is roughly a 12% drop in DPS when compared to a 100% crit gem. I think this is fair, as yes it's a 12% drop, but assuming 30% crit chance (fair assumption, since 30% isn't hard to obtain, but not easy as well) that means 60% of the time I am actually doing 30% more damage than normal. But I'm trading 30% of the time doing +100% damage ontop of my crit damage from other sources.

This is the kind of game balance I would love to see in D3 in the future; two choices, both very different, with clear trade-offs, but on close inspection are actually fairly balanced depending on your play style.
obviously the developers of the game didnt play as much and as far like we did... i assume they still think that everybody is still around 30k dps with 30 hp trying to clear inferno.. the legendaries, set items (rebuffed) proves it. Gem are still in developing stage as usual... it would take them pass next year to realise that most of the actual players have already hit 70k dps and above.