My opinions on PoE and D3

Games & Technology
12/13/2012 01:26 AMPosted by Alcovitch
The developer seems to throw any idea they have into the mix with little thought of refining the details.

........hmmm that reminds me of......something along the lines of significantly raising repair costs without testing and then lowering them back down because the idea was a complete disaster or something. wait im getting something else.....

something about having an unreasonable difficulty scale due to lack of testing and then nerfing the !@#$ out of your game because the majority of your player base couldnt handle it.......

good thing d3 doesnt suffer such horrid developers though.
12/13/2012 01:41 AMPosted by Vahagn
The developer seems to throw any idea they have into the mix with little thought of refining the details.

........hmmm that reminds me of......something along the lines of significantly raising repair costs without testing and then lowering them back down because the idea was a complete disaster or something. wait im getting something else.....

something about having an unreasonable difficulty scale due to lack of testing and then nerfing the !@#$ out of your game because the majority of your player base couldnt handle it.......

good thing d3 doesnt suffer such horrid developers though.

I never said Diablo 3 was perfect. It is however, far more polished and refined then PoE. Everything about PoE Screams of exactly what you're accusing Blizzard of doing.
12/13/2012 01:43 AMPosted by Alcovitch
I never said Diablo 3 was perfect. It is however, far more polished and refined then PoE. Everything about PoE Screams of exactly what you're accusing Blizzard of doing.

the only thing polished about d3 is the game engine. game-play and mechanics, not so much. the numerous changes, past and upcoming, are proof of this. did you ever play inferno on launch week? it was literally impossible with groups. WD's were garbage. the best barbs and monks could do is survive. etc this is not the definition of a polished game.

i dont even like poe. it has a lot of depth, in terms of passives, itemization, and build diversity, but the bland animations and skills turn me off.
PoE is clumsy and buggy. Other than detailed skill tree there is nothing new or exciting about it. There is no secure trading option. It is impossible to play co-op as loot being shared by everyone.

Diablo 3 destroys PoE with combat system and amazing gameplay.

Nothing new? You clearly are as experienced with PoE as you are with D3 looking at your profile. There are more "new" and intuitive qualities in PoE than the entire d3 addition to the diablo series.

I played it enough to see your claim is a big hoax. And as for my Diablo 3 experience - I don't play in US servers I am from EU. I have spent 500+ hours.

PoE is appreciated mostly by people who played Diablo 2 - and Diablo 2 is a horrible game, it is such a game that kinda make it hard to call a game. It's skill tree, theory building and all those things were possible because game wasn't challenging at all, it was one of those easiest games in which you could easily make any build and think it works.

In terms of gameplay PoE suffers the same way D2 does, it is a potato smashing game, it feels like you are in a huge training stage to spam potions and click the very same potato each time. Only thing that makes potatoes different than each other is their models, some are zombies, some are humans - whatever but they are all the same potatoes in terms of gameplay/combat.

Diablo 2 had one of the most boring combat in the history of gaming, spamming potions and holding the mouse button clicked. It is extremely bland and primitive. With Diablo 3 we have seen many of these problems are removed. Maybe not to an extent that make it complicated as a chess game but it is much better than potion spamming now. Kiting, randomization, the way to approach - they are all entertaining and makes you keep focused. I remember after I completed normal difficulty in Diablo 2 how boring it was to test a build - I played it for a couple of hours then I was thinking/daydreaming of another things when playing the game mindlessly. If your theory crafting is possible simply because the game is super easy sorry but I'm not in the same boat with you. You can also go play CoD or Quake in training stages jumping up and down in front of a target board and call it a build if that is what you understand by a game

In Diablo 3 all enemies are different in terms of gameplay and they are vastly randomized. Combat is smooth and fun. PoE is simply clicking on pixelized potatoes and nothing else. It is too old. There are too many issues. It is hard to click potatoes because clickable area is very small, clicking on them in higher resolution makes the game hard as an FPS game in which you need to shoot an enemy far away with a pistol. In that sense it can be called challenging but I'd prefer to go play black ops. Also force stand still is broken

In short, Diablo 2 and Poe aren't games, they let you do builds that make you think you are smart but it is only this way because you are playing an easy game with no challenges. It is a dress-my-babe game. It is ancient, old, boring. Only good thing about PoE is its awesome visuals, gritty, dark and atmospheric. In that sense it easily beats comic style Diablo 3 art. Other than that I can't really recommend it to anyone

I played d2 for 10 years
You will be back when d3 expansion hits. Mark my words.
12/13/2012 01:57 AMPosted by stranger
In short, Diablo 2 and Poe aren't games, they let you do builds that make you think you are smart but it is only this way because you are playing an easy game with no challenges. It is a dress-my-babe game.

so you prefer gear checks?
The excitement over PoE dies off very quickly, just like it did with TL2. At the start when it's all new and fresh, things seem pretty interesting, different and fun. But once you've played a few days, you miss the polished and flowing combat that D3 offers.

The biggest flaw in both PoE and TL2 is that combat seems unnatural and harder than it should be. Trust me, after a week or two you'll be glad to get back to D3 where you can bust off all six skills within two seconds.
The excitement over PoE dies off very quickly, just like it did with TL2. At the start when it's all new and fresh, things seem pretty interesting, different and fun. But once you've played a few days, you miss the polished and flowing combat that D3 offers.

The biggest flaw in both PoE and TL2 is that combat seems unnatural and harder than it should be. Trust me, after a week or two you'll be glad to get back to D3 where you can bust off all six skills within two seconds.

All PoE discussion seemed to die off for a while but it seems to have been rekindled recently. You can go on their forum and see plenty of threads with the same complaints that you posted. The main one seems to be clunky, boring combat with the fan boys saying that this must not be the game for you. Sounds rather familiar.

PoE is like an iPhone game compared to D3.
Another boring pile of excrement (poe) thread?

I had the beta key for a few months back and the game was terribad, I would play rather d2 than that piece of !@#$.

It's a badly made d2 clone, bad graphics, bad gameplay, elitist anti-d3 community/mods, kiwi pets(lol?).
12/13/2012 01:26 AMPosted by Alcovitch
POE has a serious lack of iteration and quality control. The developer seems to throw any idea they have into the mix with little thought of refining the details. The currency in the game is a very good example of this.

This shows that you have really no clue about the devs of PoE.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55102

In my opinion they give more thought in there game than the D3 devs.
Just read why they dont have gold in there game, and then tell me thats a bad idea.
12/13/2012 01:24 AMPosted by AtownStomp
Curious about the combat system claims. I'm sorry but in PoE you can skillfully dodge ranged attacks won't get killed by some random monster when you are "feet" away from it. The D3 game does not have a in-depth combat system at all.

HAHAHA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZUkTMj319w

Oh, you were serious. Let me laugh even harder.

PoE = desyncing, buggy game in which playability is a low priority.

Compared to that, even 1.03 D3 looks pretty damn good.

Edit: Fixed link because my memory fails at 5 in the morning.
And whats to laugh about that?

It simply shows that there are more deep mechanics that you should know of, and because of the endgame mapsystem there can be very deadly combinations when your character lacks in specific points.

Maybe it makes the game more complex?
And whats to laugh about that?

It simply shows that there are more deep mechanics that you should know of, and because of the endgame mapsystem there can be very deadly combinations when your character lacks in specific points.

Maybe it makes the game more complex?

Did you watch the video? He gets hit from well outside the enemy's range many, many times.

"Skillfully dodge", indeed.

I also don't consider ES or you are playing the game wrong to be exceptionally complex.

Nor do I consider playing only overrated (as in thought to add more to the difficulty than they actually do) map mods or you are playing the game wrong to be exceptionally complex.
Yes, i know the video, and where in the video you see a fight?

Edit: Maybe you have the wrong link?
The one where he gets murdered by Brutus. That might have been the wrong link. Derp. Fixed it.
12/13/2012 04:37 AMPosted by Spectral
The one where he gets murdered by Brutus. That might have been the wrong link. Derp. Fixed it.

Ok, thx.

Yeah its interesting, maybe it was a bad connection, i would have quit if playing on HC.
But i can tell you i never had such problems when i was playing. When there was a DC it appeared in less then one second, and i was back at the loginscreen. Never lost an HC-Character to a DC, even in fight.

But PoE is still in Beta, so sometimes they stresstesting the servers.

And the end of the video where he got killed was not a bug or lag, that´s what he was trying to explain in the later video. It was an endgame map with Brutus as boss with more strenght and the lightning stun from the other villains make him a oneshot kill by the hit from Brutus. Just watch the video that you linked before the right one ;)
12/13/2012 04:49 AMPosted by OldBoy

Ok, thx.

Yeah its interesting, maybe it was a bad connection, i would have quit if playing on HC.
But i can tell you i never had such problems when i was playing. When there was a DC it appeared in less then one second, and i was back at the loginscreen. Never lost an HC-Character to a DC, even in fight.

But PoE is still in Beta, so sometimes they stresstesting the servers.

And the end of the video where he got killed was not a bug or lag, that´s what he was trying to explain in the later video. It was an endgame map with Brutus as boss with more strenght and the lightning stun from the other villains make him a oneshot kill by the hit from Brutus. Just watch the video that you linked before the right one ;)

No, the game is always like that. It was like that when I played months ago and it was like that when he played days ago. Their devs went on record to say it would take them weeks to fix the problem if they started then and did nothing else... and so they didn't. But I dunno about you but I consider the gameplay the most important part of any game. If it's clunky and unresponsive, nothing else about the game matters. It sucks horribly. As such fixing this should have been their highest priority and the fact it wasn't - the fact they valued fluff over substance then don't even look good just means they took their screw ups...

...And then doubled them!

As for the getting one shotted, that wasn't desync, but it is amplified by desync for obvious reasons. It was an example of poor balance testing though as you have these mobs over here that barely hurt you, and then this one over here that OHKOs you.

If you watch the other video and actually think about what he's saying he's saying armor is useless, evasion is useless, ES or GTFO because it is the only way you can survive those OHKOs.

Want to tank? Be a caster.

I dunno about you but if I want to dominate by spamming cold attacks everywhere and nothing else... I still have D2, and D2's gameplay while simplistic is actually responsive... because my character actually does what I tell her to do, the game is playable. And I also have the option to play another build, like a hammerdin. Cold spam is the alpha and omega of build variety in PoE.

Now none of this is new to those who have already familiarized themselves with and analyzed the game mechanics on their own but since so many people still erroneously believe there is a variety of viable builds, tactics, and approaches in that game most people have not done this.

You also have to ask yourself - if the servers are having these sorts of performance problems with a small closed beta population how are they supposed to hold up to a much larger population when anyone can log on?
I

ARPGS are firstly about making you feel powerful and secondly about optimizing your character with good skill builds and items. PoE is good on the second point but right now it completely fails on the first point.

It doesn't sound like you played it for very long. If you have made a good build you should feel very powerful. Your opinion is not held by the Path of Exile community.
Blizzard "wiped up on the floor" by the competition? Please do point out such a company or game? Name me one game in the same genre as any of the blizzard games that has surpassed it in sales and critical acclaim? Please, pick any one of their games, any at all, your choice. GO.

What is with all you POE guys showing up here typing out these long winded posts like some kind of love letter. POE is not as good as you crack it up to be.

POE "intuitive". LOL! don't make me laugh!! the last thing POE is, is intuitive.

It's an ugly game to start. The animations and combat is stiff and lack luster. The monster models are horrendous. You fight dirty beggars for half of act 1 along with a bunch of crap things. Act 2 has you pitted against armies of red monkey's. Dungeons are hard to navigate and are so poorly lit. The skill tree while impressive at first is just a giant passives web with a few interesting alternatives sprinkled in here or there. Itemization is awful in POE. I hated it with a passion. No currency, instead you have a bajillion orbs for every imaginable purpose.

POE will be like every other "competitor" that was supposed to kill off a Blizzard game: Soon forgotten.

Typical responses by a D3 fanboy. First he sites D3's sales, oh wow that proves soooo much, no not at all. Then hate on the graphics and state inaccuracies like the passive tree has "few interesting alternatives" which is bull crap. "Itemization is awful?" and your playing D3? seriously? Your opinion is a joke.