New headset crashes game?

Mac Technical Support
Hi, I just purchased an Astro A50 wireless headset and I'm having major issues with it.

Setting the in game sound options to 7.1 (as the headset is designed for) and 128 sound channels causes the game to either lag to a halt or crash.

I have a quad core, 3.14Ghz i5, 16GB of Ram iMac. I can't see how the issue would be spec related on my end.

I can't find any forums or support anywhere on the web. I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight?

When the game does run with 7.1 selected, the sound is out of this world..for 5 seconds, lol.
Can you post full system specs for your Mac, so we can look into this issue?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f2
Hardware UUID: 0AC0ED97-1B26-5882-AE7F-B1CEE6F62EE5

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960H-188
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 5 minutes

Thank you!
Thanks! Does this produce a crash report ID when you experience this issue?
C0039931-D4C4-4F41-BF6A-F0671245C96E

7.1 crashes the game.

If I reduce to 5.1, the sound is terrible.

If I use the "pro logic" setting provided by the manufacturer that populates in Diablo, the sound works for a while, and then becomes choppy, subtle at first, and then becomes unplayable.

Please help me! Thank you.
any help?
It may be a couple of days (from now at least) before you get another response from Machkhan - the holidays are generally slow because many of the staff are on vacation or at other events.

Have you tried updating your A50's firmware? There is a Mac firmware updater located here:

http://astro-firmware.s3.amazonaws.com/ASTRO_Device_Manager-OSX.zip

Also, are you using a MixAmp with the headphones, or just the headphones themselves? If it's just the headphones themselves, you might not be able to use 7.1 mode without problems (or at all). Unfortunately, Astro's website has no manual at all for the A50, only the A40. Guess they forgot that people might need that for troubleshooting purposes...

I apologize if this is wall of textish.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did update the firmware before I even tried the headset with Diablo. I also do have the mixamp, as the headset came with it.

That being said, here's what I've learned through the interwebs.

iMac's only push 5.1 through the 3.5mm headphone jack IF you use an optical connector adapter (which I do and is connected to the mixamp). The mixamp is ALSO connected to the iMac via USB. When I choose the output in the iMac's setting's to be the "optical output" I can't see how I could technically ever get 7.1, so that's out. When I change the sound output of the iMac to use the mixamp, (via the USB) I would assume the mixamp would create 7.1 and push that to the headphones...but two things happen. Number 1, the sound is...bizarre. Not distorted, but absent at times depending on where the origin of sound is in the game. For example, casting a wicked wind tornado and then running around it will result in moments of booming sound followed by silence, as I circle the tornado. This is not a cutting in/out issue. It's as if there is no sound being produced by the game when I'm say, standing atop the tornado. The second thing is that within less than 30 seconds of "dense" sound, the game crashes. I am wondering if the "absence" of sound lies within my iMac's inability to produce 7.1, AND the mixamp being unable to produced 7.1 if the iMac can't. Oh, and a third issue is, eventually, whenever using the mixamp, the sound chops up and I have to reset the mixamp. Oh yeah, doing that also crashes the game. Very odd.
Have you tried the mixamp with only one of the two inputs (mini-TOSLink or USB) in use instead of both connected at the same time? Computers (PCs too) have issues a lot of times with one device connected to two distinct I/O ports on the same computer. It's commonly known as a conflict, but the premise is the same here.