Which PC Upgrade should I Do?

Technical Support
Currently my rig has this
Amd 965 Phenom II and
2 GTX 460 in SLI

I have around $500 to upgrade thanks to Christmas gift certificates.
I was considering either a new motherboard and i7 Intel cpu or
possibly a GTX 670.

Or if you have cheaper suggestions? I want to get the most benifit I can

Thank you
any suggestions or ideas appreciated
anyone?
i'd get a motherboard/cpu

for diablo 3 i'm pretty much sure 460 in SLI is overkill so no need to upgrade your video cards yet
thanks
i'd get a motherboard/cpu

for diablo 3 i'm pretty much sure 460 in SLI is overkill so no need to upgrade your video cards yet

Agreed, cpu will hold you back before a video card. You can install the best vid card around, but if your cpu is too slow, wont make any difference.
i7 all the way, i recently upgraded to i7 and loving it. i can play wow, lol, d3, bf3, sc2 at the same time without having to close any games.
I7 hands down.
also dewberry, try playing Diablo 3 (or any other games you plan to play) with only ONE 460 video card, if you're satisfied with the performance of 1 card i'd sell the other one to add to my cpu/motherboard upgrades, or better yet sell your 2 460s (and get 1 high-end video card) and try to find/get a combo deal on the cpu/motherboard/new video card
I appreciate all the replies and advice. I am an older guy with limited pc savy
Check out tomshardware. They have articles, charts, and forums regarding pc components.

Tomshardware and newegg consumer reviews for whatever I'm looking at are my 2 major stops before I make any pc related purchases. I've always been happy with my final decision.
I've got an OC'd 2500k stable at 4.8ghz with just air. Been running it a year with no problems. CPU an MB are great upgrades, but don't forget about an SSD. I run my rig with and SSD using intel SRT, and it works brilliantly. IE: All those chumps who buy an SSD and just install windows and one game on it are chumps.
i7? I suppose if you WANT to pay extra. I can do the same things with an i5, and for cheaper, an AMD 8 or even 6-core.
This would be for gaming only. I have liked AMD in the past. I know it's cheaper. I thought Intel was far ahead of AMD now.
But I am not sure of this or if amd will run games as good
Get a 3570k. See if you find somewhere that has a mobo+cpu combo deal. I got my i5 for $150 by getting it with a mobo.
This would be for gaming only. I have liked AMD in the past. I know it's cheaper. I thought Intel was far ahead of AMD now.
But I am not sure of this or if amd will run games as good

Intel is far ahead. Wouldn't waste money on an amd. amd's latest cpu was a huge disappointment. If only gaming, an intel i5 is a great choice.
Why upgrade at all? I run the same CPU and GPU as you and I can play all current titles on max settings. Dropping cash on a tiny upgrade doesn't make sense.

I used to always upgrade my pc, then I realized I was throwing money away. Most people cannot see a difference in performance unless they have some sort of monitoring program running in the background.

Stick with AMD for a cpu. Intel are overpriced.