What Really Makes D3's Atmosphere Less Dark?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 14 Next
The developers aren't stupid to not realize how stupid and dumb D3 is compared to the previous installments. The game is catered to a larger public for money.
They bassically sold Diablo's soul to the devil, ironically enough.

Colour pallet like a firstgrader coloringbook, a companion chattering your ears off like we are on our way to Disneyland. The companions in d2 knew they were about to die any sec and had the decency to shut up.
When u bash a zombie and he flies across the screen, when u do a few attacks and level up with a flash of light glowing and !@#$, it's obvious u are not a barbarian. Nop, u just became super saijin 2, unlock WOTB, grats, you just became super sajin level 3.
Not to mention the endless chatter of the bosses, the enless cutscenes before a fight. How are we supposed to be affraid of these jokers. Duriel had half of your party dead before u even saw him.
These changes may appeal to some but d3 is not truely a diablo game.
The D3 story and atmosphere and characters are honest to god jokes.

I've never actually been insulted by the story in a game. Or laughed out loud at how stupid some of it is. It is presented as if the viewer is a nine-year old girl--or an ex wow player.
D3 is cartoony and designed for kids.
demons or villains out of power rangers?

maghda anyone? lol

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091006055332/powerrangers/images/0/02/Rita_repulsa_season_1.jpg
+1000!

I agree with every point you make, OP, and would like to include the exclusion of LIGHT RADIUS and GOTHIC design to the list.

Cathedral etc. might look Gothic, but due to the comic nature of the graphics, you don't really see it. Game should've been darker and more evul.

Also, soundtrack, like you say, is a major issue. Nothing wrong with the D3 soundtrack per se, and I do not wish to offend the composer, but it's a fact that I still listen to the D1 and D2 soundtracks both when I play Diablo 3 and when I'm not even playing. I couldn't even remember the D3 music if you asked me to hum it for you.

One could also go into the really small points, like how the areas aren't really random anymore, don't put you in the middle of nowhere alone, and have less atmosphere to them.
Huh? Why it has to be dark as you don't see anything. The atmosphere is lovely in D3 and I love it, no need to post your personal opinion, maybe only 1% of your kind exists in D3 game, the rest is enjoying.
RE: Title

too many lights aroudn your computer.
Not that I hate the game, but well said OP.

It's as playable as it goes, it just doesn't deserve the Diablo title. I still play it every now and then with some friends, but that's about it really. Butcher was supposed to be a boss that you have a hard time running away from, like a suspense movie of some sort. :D Sadly, that wasn't the case.

I just hope Blizzard realizes that people are complaining about the game because they CARE about the franchise and they are looking forward to a 180-turn or a 90...turn, whichever. I'm just sayin.

Don't hate, just express. :)
2. Sound here is not as important to me as far as atmosphere goes.

3. Talking NPC's from time to time makes them feel alive. NPC's that never talk even in the chat box. Makes them more like mindless automatons. That would hurt immerson for me.
Also the same thing happened in D2. So you should've been mad at Blizz North for not making mindless automatons.

This is also where the dark atmosphere is for me. In D2 the NPC's seemed to more confident in the hero than they are now in this game. To me the gloominess of the NPC's is what sets the dark atmosphere for me.

4. I do not agree with you here, not too much information. They are giving you the lore of Diablo. Some of that lore can be gotten by reading the books on Diablo. But those that have not bought the books can just play the game and learn what they want to know about the lore.

5. So then Deckard Cain shouldn't have been with you in every town if we are to follow your rules for this point. The devs of the game choose who the main character will be for that game.

6. If you were terrified by the transformation of the Wander in D2. Then I would say do not watch any Vincent Price horror movies or you would have a heart attack. That game along with the first one had about as much chance of scaring me as the movie known as "The Fly". That movie was more sad than scary.

I am pretty certain if someone rescues you from a torture device you would be happy as well. Sure you would still be in pain, but you would be happy to be alive and thanking the one that rescued you.

lol @ fan boy desperately attempting to justify this games horrible failures.

Look He gave his opinion I give mine.
So then the only response you have against my opinion is the tired old fanboy response, huh. Ran out of ideas, no other strawman arguments or anything logical fallacies to hurl my way.
it is obvious they prefer younger auditory see WoW also - for me is insulting how childish they make everything, but who knows they may be right to do so I don't care for WoW.. anyway they've got it incredibly wrong with D3 knowing this game have probably one of the oldest auditory..
Lack of subtlety is a major tampering-with that really derailed the series' story for me. I mean, it is really insulting - "spoon-fed" was a spot-on description. Everything is blatant and absurd.

Look we were spoon fed the story of the previous games as well. If you just talked to the rest of the townsfolk you would be able to easily figure out what direction the story was going.

Talking-too-much, totally agree. In art and entertainment, less can so often be so much more. Take country and pop music - totally spoon-fed, literal lyrics/story (if any). Once you burn off the simple sugars (In D3, the gameplay - following?), there is nothing left that is complex, nothing left to the imagination. Nothing lingers. It becomes business, work - and not an escape. D3 devs need to listen to more Radiohead before the expansion. Give us something we can make our own, be an individual with. Don't put us on a rail and talk to us like babies. Insulting.

Okay then here is what I would to to make you happy. Remove all NPC dialog from the game. Next have all NPC's stand in place like potted plants. You can imagine that they are alive and move around. Oh better yet I could even take some NPC's that are merchants and turn them into a magical stone statue that would act like a modern day ebay computer.

Look I do not look at the story as something that is putting us on rails and talking to us like we are babies. I like the story, because IMO it was done well. It leaves enough holes there for the two expansions that is planned for this game. The NPC banter is what makes the game alive and makes for some bright moments. Also it adds a dark side, because now some of the NPC's do not have as much confidence in the hero as the other Diablo titles.
+1000!

I agree with every point you make, OP, and would like to include the exclusion of LIGHT RADIUS and GOTHIC design to the list.

Cathedral etc. might look Gothic, but due to the comic nature of the graphics, you don't really see it. Game should've been darker and more evul.

Also, soundtrack, like you say, is a major issue. Nothing wrong with the D3 soundtrack per se, and I do not wish to offend the composer, but it's a fact that I still listen to the D1 and D2 soundtracks both when I play Diablo 3 and when I'm not even playing. I couldn't even remember the D3 music if you asked me to hum it for you.

One could also go into the really small points, like how the areas aren't really random anymore, don't put you in the middle of nowhere alone, and have less atmosphere to them.

While D1 and D2 had the Gothic look. The NPC's seemed to be either apathetic toward the hero or the situation they were in. Or they had a bit of a gloom and doom to them.

This game the NPC's seem to have more gloom and doom. They just cannot believe that anyone can save them. That is where part of the gloom and doom in a dark Gothic would should be. Not just in a bunch of pixels, alas I think players like you though would not be happy. Until the last Diablo game in the series is so dark that the only thing you can see on the screen is the torch your character is carrying.
The developers aren't stupid to not realize how stupid and dumb D3 is compared to the previous installments. The game is catered to a larger public for money.

Colour pallet like a firstgrader coloringbook, a companion chattering your ears off like we are on our way to Disneyland. The companions in d2 knew they were about to die any sec and had the decency to shut up.
When u bash a zombie and he flies across the screen, when u do a few attacks and level up with a flash of light glowing and !@#$, it's obvious u are not a barbarian. Nop, u just became super saijin 2, unlock WOTB, grats, you just became super sajin level 3.
Not to mention the endless chatter of the bosses, the enless cutscenes before a fight. How are we supposed to be affraid of these jokers. Duriel had half of your party dead before u even saw him.

Look if you got scared of the previous Diablos then you better not watch any real horror movies or they will give you a heart attack.

What Duriel hard to beat. He was easy as cake, just wolf down a few thawing potions and give some to your merc. Keep a TP open so you can go back to town to heal up and get more thawing potions as needed. Just like Andariel was cake using the antidote potions like the thawing potions. Also using poison length reduction that you could easy gamble for on the gloves and the boots to get at least 50% was easy and it kept you alive.
I do not have any of these memory of D2 or D1 being dark, by any stretch of the imagination. Just one of the most violent games out. The game is really cartoon like, not close to life like or realistic, they where just 2d sprites. Nothing really stands out as far as art work with D2. For me D2 is as dark as D3, D1 is more dark than d2.

Look if you got scared of the previous Diablos then you better not watch any real horror movies or they will give you a heart attack.

What Duriel hard to beat. He was easy as cake, just wolf down a few thawing potions and give some to your merc. Keep a TP open so you can go back to town to heal up and get more thawing potions as needed. Just like Andariel was cake using the antidote potions like the thawing potions. Also using poison length reduction that you could easy gamble for on the gloves and the boots to get at least 50% was easy and it kept you alive.

sure that applies after you've played it a few hundred times or even a dozen, i dont' remember my first playthrough to be so guided. upon meeting duriel the first time it's more of an oh !@#$ rather then open a TP and get rdy to wormhole it back and forth -_-', same goes for andariel.
Lack of subtlety is a major tampering-with that really derailed the series' story for me. I mean, it is really insulting - "spoon-fed" was a spot-on description. Everything is blatant and absurd.

I used to read more about video games than playing them. Once read an article (EGM maybe?) asking, "Can video games be art?" I dunno, but Blizzard was always a company, I thought, actively trying to bridge that gap. I don't think there was a minute used discussing/acting on some larger cultural vision like this. Maybe there wasn't with D1/D2, but it sure seemed like there was some ambition in this department.

Talking-too-much, totally agree. In art and entertainment, less can so often be so much more. Take country and pop music - totally spoon-fed, literal lyrics/story (if any). Once you burn off the simple sugars (In D3, the gameplay - following?), there is nothing left that is complex, nothing left to the imagination. Nothing lingers. It becomes business, work - and not an escape. D3 devs need to listen to more Radiohead before the expansion. Give us something we can make our own, be an individual with. Don't put us on a rail and talk to us like babies. Insulting.

Nowhere do we get to read between the lines or fill in the blanks. Can we not assume our hero and their follower occasionally talk, and thus create our own dialogue in our minds if we so please? Also, I liked the disposable mercenaries in D2. In my mind, I thought this was such a brutal world that it was "realistic" that people would become subjects to a master for a fee and follow them into battle without so much as a word spoken...with an understanding that so many people die in this world to Evil, why get close?

The complete anonymity of the D1/D2 heroes was such a brilliant move. In the monotony of the game I'd sometimes just daydream about who this "person" is in this other world. Maybe I don't do that in D3 because I'm now an adult and not a kid with a wild imagination, but something is much different in D3. What someone said earlier (sorry, not good at this forum thing) about the hero being treated as a powerful savior from the get-go rather than just another traveller seeking glory has much to do with it.

The technical stuff like the graphics (still way too kiddy) and the cutscenes before bosses stoppage doesn't help. Oh, and light radius. Seems like 3D actually limited them, which is kind of funny.

Blizzard: be ambiguous, let the players be as specific as they want in their imagination. Go back to a wild environment with a few dots to connect, don't micro-manage and have us trace over an already-done puzzle.

I enjoy the gameplay a ton and avoid comparing it to the predecessors. But bring back the soul of Diablo - the story and atmosphere and mystique!

Probably the greatest post this forum has ever witnessed.

Well done. Well written. Excellent.

I think the culmination of the lack of ambiguity was going to Heaven.

We should never have gone to heaven to fight. Heaven should have remained a place of mystery, out of touch, out of reach.

OH well.
music music music music music music music music music music music music music music

wilderness wilderness wilderness wilderness wilderness wilderness wilderness wilderness

harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem harem