diablo progress means nothing

Witch Doctor
Oh and OP... 167k dps? Are you kidding me... ? I hope you are kidding if you think ANYTHING about your char ranks high in the America's or World.

It doesn't matter if you #1 in the world int wise if every other stat sucks. Get your DPS to #1 or Heroscore for that matter then post on here when you have something to say about high rankings.
nothing like a christmas rage Osiris...

didnt get your xbox game from santa i guess.

"WOW"
You morons are thinking because your ranked high in one stat your gonna be good. "I'm top blah blah blah in crit dmg" who cares? It's about your actual DPS and EHP.

Say whatever you want but none of you idiots are out DPSing the top WD's.

PR4Y... I feel like my WD cannot be improved? You have 150k dps GTFO. Your less than half the damage of top WDs.

Diabloprog is great when you have half a brain and you can figure out what stats matter etc.

WOW

never go full retard
You morons are thinking because your ranked high in one stat your gonna be good. "I'm top blah blah blah in crit dmg" who cares? It's about your actual DPS and EHP.

PR4Y... I feel like my WD cannot be improved? You have 150k dps GTFO. Your less than half the damage of top WDs.

Diabloprog is great when you have half a brain and you can figure out what stats matter etc.

WOW

I think the point of the thread is that looking at only the dps # is missing the forest for the trees. There are plenty of really good players that outperform those who min/max themselves into unplayability.
12/25/2012 07:20 PMPosted by kkmmnn
never go full retard

LOL
Lol Osiris you got a lot of rage in you mister
I think diabloheroes algorithm is a bit more accurate. diabloprogress is just silly. what do i know?
In the absence of anything else more relevant, these ladders are the only thing we have for reference.

It is like saying scoring well exams is not the best way to measure intelligence, but there is nothing 'easier' and commonly accepted.

It is generally the people who cannot perform well that complain about the system being broken for them. It's the same in real life as in a fantasy game.

It is like saying scoring well exams is not the best way to measure intelligence, but there is nothing 'easier' and commonly accepted.

It is generally the people who cannot perform well that complain about the system being broken for them. It's the same in real life as in a fantasy game.

in case of a WD, even highest dps doesnt equal the best effective DPS, unlike other classes.

the problem of DP is it ranks characters according to DPS only, which is a big problem in a game where EHP is a huge part of the equation when you cannot faceroll content. ie, you die.

its kinda like, if you can do math perfectly and get 800 on SATII and do it in 3 seconds....thats great but if you fail verbal SAT because of it....youre not really the best student to take the test are you ?
Dps is only one of the test, so is ehp, heroscore, etc.....

People just seem to put more importance to dps because it is related to farming speed.

The free market is the best way to gauge your 'build', if your gear is good (and not just about dps), it will be highly valued. Only the ignorant believe they have an awesome build but no one else sees it out of the thousands or millions.

the irony of this statement is profound. i made this thread exactly for the reason that you have stated. that you are in fact not good. i put my int up on purpose and dropped my dps in the process. it was for kicks. hope you get off the roids soon bro.

Oh and OP... 167k dps? Are you kidding me... ? I hope you are kidding if you think ANYTHING about your char ranks high in the America's or World.

It doesn't matter if you #1 in the world int wise if every other stat sucks. Get your DPS to #1 or Heroscore for that matter then post on here when you have something to say about high rankings.

you must not be able to read. so ill explain it to you. again. because i feel you are special enough.
i bought lots of int gear to bump my int to around 3600. so after i logged out i was number 2 in the US number 3 in the world for int. for all of a half hour. it was for my own amusement. and please GTFO. you run a barb. easiest class in the game. obviously most loved. you obviously don't know what you are talking about. so ive reported your posts. because you are irrational

The free market is the best way to gauge your 'build', if your gear is good (and not just about dps), it will be highly valued.

That's sorta true. But even that only tests your gear, not your skill.

Also, it doesnt take in account the class intricacies.

Like, many people among the top WDs will put in PtV to boost the dps. But can you even run PtV with bears with inflated attack speed for more than 3 seconds ?

In many cases against ubers and high mp farming, Bear users will go with the mana zuni helm over crit helm...which lowers their paper dps but boosts effective dps.
But a mana regen zuni helm is peanuts against a CC zuni helm...

Bear users also usually avoid attack speed items and trifectas arent really needed...but they are for paper dps and cost a lot...and so on.

basically what top players in DP tell me is that they can do math and figure out the best formula to boost their dps so they would look good. it doesnt tell me that they can play their build better than some of the *actually* good WDs that post on here and other forums.
Haha, i never believed skill and D3 belong in the same sentence. It's uhm.... clicking the same mouse button repeatedly.
12/25/2012 11:06 PMPosted by KCtheGreat
Haha, i never believed skill and D3 belong in the same sentence. It's uhm.... clicking the same mouse button repeatedly.

true for most part, but still...theres skill in kiting and skills in WoS homing/bear spamming/avoiding nasty stuff

my point is that a lot of those builds are either unplayable or deliberately gimping their own damage out put or EHP in order to be the top WDs...
12/25/2012 11:06 PMPosted by KCtheGreat

this argument can be made for every computer game that uses the mouse, then....
Gearing wd is a skill that you lack.

Not really, the thing is that you don´t understand how wd works, even when you play the class. How can we expect the chumps at progress to know how the class works. Would be funny to see you farm mp10 solo.
I took this from another thread, an intresting read.

Dread wrote:

Not one single WD ability scales it's damage per cast with IAS.
Since you can't get enough IAS, and at the same time maintain every other damage stat,
to make primary abilities compete with bears then IAS loses it's value.

For example the "top" WD, (according to diabloprogress),
with the highest amount unbuffed "damage", has 2.48 attacks per second.
I have 1.51 attacks per second.

Lets check the math:

These hit range numbers are taken from d3rawr.com.
They represent 100% weapon damage and include everything like Pierce the Veil,
+%elemental and bonus vs elites.

Dread
Hit Range 32614 - 72820 (Avg 52717,0)
Crit Range 159811 - 356820 (Avg 258315,5)

Cash
Hit Range 39403 - 84040 (Avg 61721,5)
Crit Range 222626 - 474827 (Avg 348726,5)

The build I'm normaly using for farming, ( http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5847977556 ),
lets me spam bears and maintain 135% weapon damage worth of AoE dots at the same time.

Dread Average DPS (Unbuffed)
(708% bears @ 1.51 APS) + (135% AoE dots/s)
Hit 563587 + 71168 = 634755
Crit 1828874 + 470781 = 2299655

Unlike Cash I'm also using Soul Harvest and Gruesome Feast, which is not reflected at all in these values, that's an additional ~180k pure damage.

The build Cash is using combined with 0 mana regen from gear, along with Pierce the Veil,
lets him spam Ghost Bomb and maybe keep Manitou up, (if he doesn't use Acid Cloud too much).

Cash Average DPS (Without pets)
(140% Ghost Bomb @ 2.48 APS) + (83% Manitou/s)
Hit 214297 + 51229 = 265526
Crit 1210778 + 289443 = 1500221

I'm not entirely sure how pet DPS is calculated.
But unless they manage to do 369229 dps (non-crit) and 799434 dps (crit),
I'd say my 173k unbuffed damage beats his 553k buffed damage, for farming high MP.
Especially since all my damage is AoE, whilst most of his is single target.
12/23/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Kunaak
I'd rather see a extremely well played 200k WD that never dies and farms MP8 well

You found one. I agree with the OP that the formulas for DProg is bit off. An old friend of mine spent a month battling back and forth for the top spot for WD in the world, only for all of them to be crushed by some dude that admitted he spent $1000 just to buy DPS boosting pieces: Tal Chest, Inna Legs, Mempo, etc. All, in my opinion, terrible for a WD. No max Mana, no mana regen, no meaningful Zuni set bonus.
i agree that diablo progress may not be perfect but i dont think it means nothing as stated by OP. i use it to try and get my doc in an all arround decent place without going to far in a single direction. trying to keep both ehp and dps, mana regen, and all things in a balance that fits my playstyle. i actually enjoy dprog and find use in the site and can be happy with my toon knowing that i put him together with as much thought as possible and without getting brought down by the fact that it can place an other doc ahead of mine. if a site like this annoys you i would recomend not frequenting the site.
@Jumbasa

You dont seem to understand the concept of a ladder, the point is to climb it, nobody is forced to play it, but for those who chooses to play it, this is what you do.

It is so simple to gear a WD to play mp10 that there is no sense of achievement in doing this. If everybody scores 100% in a test, what is the point of the test? You are talking about a participation award here, being able to farm mp10 is nothing to boast about.

Some of us had been playing/trading for over 6 months, we had tested all kinds of builds and farmed over 100 hellfire ring from 1.00 to mp10, there really is no other purpose except to play the ladder for any sense of challenge.