Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower

Monk
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower
(or The Lazy A** Monk)

Foreword:
This build may not be as efficient as a Tempest Rush in terms of XP/hour, but in my experience it is way safer and less item dependant plus you can do this with your normal equipment just fine.

Also i got pretty bored from TR and when dual wielding i have used Dashing Strike before but that's so much clicking. Sometimes i just want to relax :P

Requirements:
  • Average to Good Damage (65k should be fine for MP0 tho, i tried MP3 yesterday with about 99k unbuffed and was quite satisfied with it)
  • Dual Wield is not really required but it enhances the Spirit Regeneration needed for the *Jingle* Bells
  • I recommend high crit chance here. I got a CC of 49.5% but i guess 35% will do just fine.
  • At least 2 Movement Speed Items with +12% Movement Speed each for high efficiency
    There are alot of Movement Speed Items out there: Boots in general, Lacunis, Innas Pants, Tyraels Might just to name a few

Pros:
  • Quite Safe
  • Good Speed at no cost
  • You can use your normal gear

Cons:
  • Not as fast as TR Build
  • Nearly Cap Movement Speed required

The Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUgYkS!XVZ!YZYcac

Detailed Build Description:
Why do i have Wave of Light on left click and my spirit regenerator on Right Click? Simple, i can just hold down right click when crawling a dungeon. My monk will attack every mob that stands in my way without me having to press any additional key or re-clicking on a mob. Just hold the button down and make your way through the mobs.

• Wave of Light - Blinding Light (WoL or Bell)
  • This is used for 2 things. On one hand i use it to crush huge mobgroups with one click and on the other i use this to stunlock elites. I am using Butchers Sickle with a 23% proc-chance. So that's a 23% chance for a stun on hit (on paper that is) plus i got Blinding Flash as second *stun* and with Wave of Light i got my third stun. Tho this one is kind of cost effective, my usual combo is either Wave of Light or Butcher's Sickle Proc, then Blinding Flash and afterwards Wave of Light again. If you are low on Spirit, you can use Serenity to safely recharge your resources.
    (WoL even refreshes your Sweeping Wind if it hits!)

• Way of the Hundred Fists - Blazing Fists (WotHF)
  • This one is a nice one, the rune gives you +5% Attack Speed and +5% Movement Speed per Critical Hit up to 3 Stacks. This will end up in +15% Attack and Movement Speed. For normal farming runs, it's a must have for this build.

• Serenity - Ascension
  • I like to have a "oh sh*t"-Button. It helps me bring down Reflect Damage in couple of seconds without worrying about my health. 1 additional Invulnerability thanks to the rune is always nice.

• Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light (BF)
  • Standard Skill for snapshotting your Sweeping Winds and always useful in fights because of the blind debuff.

• Mantra of Conviction - Overawe
  • I like having some additional Armor. If you need more defensive stats, feel free to swap it with Mantra of Evasion - Hard Target or Mantra of Healing - Time of Need. I did MP7 yesterday quite easy with MoE - HT. I only died because of my flatmates downloading something which made me lag ingame and i couldn't pop Skills :P

• Sweeping Wind - Cyclone Strike (SW)
  • Ofcourse it's SW with Cyclone Strike, what else would you get. For 2h tho you can swap this with some other rune but thanks to +15% Attack Speed this CS might even be worth using on 2h.

• Seize the Initiative (StI)
  • #1 Defensive Passive for Monks. I don't think anyone would get rid of that unless you built for tank.

• Beacon of Ytar (BoY)
  • The change to 20% Cooldown Reduction was nice and this makes Serenity and Blinding Flash more spammable. Feel free to change this to Resolve if you need more defensive stats or to Combination Strike, if you want more damage.
    (Combination Strike also has a good synergy with WotHF)

• Fleet Footed (FF)
  • Must Have for this build, you will see why later in this post.

General Gameplay:
    You can farm any route in any act. This build should get you from mob group to the next one in time before the buffs run out. If they don't, you might consider changing your route to some more efficient one.

Generally you want to approach some mobs. You do not activate SW yet, you do not activate BF yet, you just punch the mobs until you see the 3 stack buff from WotHF. As soon as you see the 3 stack buff, you hit BF. Now you got your maximum damage output and you want to activate SW. This is the highest damage you can get on your SW snapshot.
    Protip: if you get a Frenzy Shrine, Right Click on your SW Buff to remove it and redo the procedure for building up your SW. This will get you an even higher SW snapshot damage!

Alright our base is built. Let me mention something very important here, you now got your 3 stack buff from WotHF (+15% Attack and Movement Speed) and you got your FF equipped (+10% Movement Speed) also you got your Movement Speed Items equipped (+24%-25% Movement Speed) this sums up to (check it) 49%-50% Movement Speed!

Let's take a look again:
    Base movement speed X% from Items (cap is 25% here!)
    + 10% from Fleet Footed
    + 15% from WotHF
    = 50% max!

The best part here is that you can keep the 50% up for no cost as long as you approach mob groups every 5 seconds. Thanks to insane movement speed this is quite fast (i'll say it again) for no cost!

If you encounter large mob groups, just hit left click (if you don't feel to lazy for that now :P) in the middle of them. I killed large packs (15-20) of skeletons yesterday with 1 click only leaving 1-3 skeletons alive which i used for keeping up the WotHF buff. 1 Bell is not enough to kill such a pack with my damage on MP3? I know, that's why i throw 2 Bells! Cost of WoL is 75 Spirit with the Blinding Light rune. We got 150 Spirit max (without Exalted Soul) which is exactly what we need to throw 2 Bells. Just hold the left mouse button and see the mobs crumbling.

For Elites i recommend creating some strategy to be most efficient. I usually like throwing only 1 Bell on them. Champions will get pushed back but thanks to my +50% Movement Speed i can keep up with them. The Bell is also knocking back surrounding enemies that try to hit you so now you got more time to concentrate on the single mob that you want to take out.

By the way, it could just be me but i noticed something neat on Elites with Reflect Damage. My normal punches hurt me quite hard but the Bells do not meaning the damage reflected is less. On RD Elites my strategy therefore is "Bell, Bell, Hit, Serenity, HIT HIT HIT HIT HIT...and start over".

That's it for the gameplay type of this build.

In comparsion to TR Build:
    For this build you do not need extra equipment. TR items can be pretty expensive if you really want to do it efficiently and by that i mean items that allow you to TR infinetely on MP1 without having to turn back. So on TR you have to kill mobs in 1 strike when running through them. I couldn't even achive that with my pure damage Skorn which i am using for Uber-Runs SW snapshotting. I get to somewhat like 220k damage doing the snapshot with my Skorn but apparently that is not enough for TR MP1.

So without having to get new gear, you can rather improve your current gear and get even more damage to mowe those mobs with your right click.

Autors Note:
    I am german therefore i am apologizing for my english in advance.

Please feel free to test this build out, customize it and let me know how you think about this build.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to check out my other threads
    Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
    The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
    Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
    Reserved
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    It's funny you should post this. I was experimenting with some "powerleveling" builds as well for the past couple of nights, and I'm not delving into TR for exactly the same reasons as you posted in the original one. The build that I came up with has some differences, but here it is:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UTYkgS!VZU!Zcccaa

Take with it what you will -- but I like the Master of Wind because it keeps the cyclone up for 20s so less stress about keeping up the cyclone. SSS instead of WoL for the invulnerability (good against any RD packs). Serenity - Peaceful Repose instead of ascension for the heal since I don't anticipate the extra second will allow me to do that much more damage plus I don't have another heal on my skill bar. Typically there are health globes lying around for me, so I may just need those 3s to get there. Lastly, I've already built my monk with some armor, so taking off STI is not a big deal (dropping it only by around 1200, so about 25%). However, I made the mistake of taking OWE off and it dropped my resistances down to 200 from 600 (dropping it by 66%). For many monks, OWE is still more important than STI.
    @OP: You clearly put some thought into this. I approve. I used to use Fists of Fury with Tailwind, and I was moving too fast to keep my wheels on the road! It was a lot of fun, though.

@Nameless: MoW is a great skill to use if you want to abuse the snapshot mechanic with a different set of gear (not that I'm advocating it). Given the way mitigation is calculated, I'd consider a drop from 600 resistance to 200 a drop from 900 to 500 (i.e., about 45%). That's what it'll do to your EL/EHP.
    Sounds like a nicely thought out set of skills. I will have to try this one out
    If you are advocating this build for good xp and loot per hour, I assume this is for low mp level? If that is the case why not use empowered wave? 40 spirit bells are great. It is especially nice to do an overawe + faith in the light + 2 to 3 bells for elites. And it is hard to beat instantly clearing rooms of trash for only 40 spirit. I don't see much point in stunning things that will die so quick anyways. Generally the knockback is sufficient crowd control.
    12/14/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
    @Nameless: MoW is a great skill to use if you want to abuse the snapshot mechanic with a different set of gear (not that I'm advocating it). Given the way mitigation is calculated, I'd consider a drop from 600 resistance to 200 a drop from 900 to 500 (i.e., about 45%). That's what it'll do to your EL/EHP.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by MoW. :P But yes, I thought about abusing the snapshot with a 2h skorn, or by doing changing my IAS on my rings to higher dex & ChD... but (1) I'm too cheap to go out and buy new gear for one very particular purpose and (2) I'm too lazy to have to switch gear after snapshot. As it stands, I'll just live with what what I have make this work and it's working relatively well for me..

And as for the drop in mitigation... I'm not exactly sure of the numbers -- I didn't do an actual comparison (although doing one would be easy enough), but all I know is that my defensive mitigation dropped by enough that I died twice on an MP0 run before I realized that I had STI instead of OWE. After doing that, my survivability increased... so that's good enough for me. I anticipate that the drop in resistances would be far more than the drop in STI, but haven't really worked out the numbers.

12/15/2012 01:13 AMPosted by Sheldor
    If you are advocating this build for good xp and loot per hour, I assume this is for low mp level? If that is the case why not use empowered wave? 40 spirit bells are great. It is especially nice to do an overawe + faith in the light + 2 to 3 bells for elites. And it is hard to beat instantly clearing rooms of trash for only 40 spirit. I don't see much point in stunning things that will die so quick anyways. Generally the knockback is sufficient crowd control.

On my end, I tried to run bells in place of SSS (the rune that you were talking about), but I liked SSS better because of the brief invulnerability (and life I get back from LS in the strikes) and I didn't like the unpredictability of the bell placements. The advantage of bells is that there it cost less spirit, and there is no cooldown, but with that said, it should hardly be an issue since you really only need bells against elite and champion packs anyway, not for the normal white mobs. That's my sense of it anyway...

Anyway, I'm taking away airtime from OPs build. Sorry OP! Back to the show...
    i tried out max movement speed and fleet footed with Blazing fists last night. gotta say i loved it and will continue to use it now instead of aiming for the TR build.

instead of the bells though, i used thunderclap on left mouse, WOTHF on right mouse, and used combination strike passive. jump into the mobs with TC, WOTHF to 3 stacks, blinding light, then SW snapshot just melted the faces off things. Fulminating onslaught and overawe just topped it right off.

due to my not having very good gear for TR'ing, i found this to be faster and allowed me to just use my regular gear. love it love it love it
    i tried out max movement speed and fleet footed with Blazing fists last night. gotta say i loved it and will continue to use it now instead of aiming for the TR build.

instead of the bells though, i used thunderclap on left mouse, WOTHF on right mouse, and used combination strike passive. jump into the mobs with TC, WOTHF to 3 stacks, blinding light, then SW snapshot just melted the faces off things. Fulminating onslaught and overawe just topped it right off.

due to my not having very good gear for TR'ing, i found this to be faster and allowed me to just use my regular gear. love it love it love it

Consider using DS / Way of the Falling Star in one of your skills too. It gives you 25% MS on each strike for 3s, giving you great MS to get to the next enemy - i'm using this in place of serenity, which is not as essential in lower MP levels. This gives me a max MS increase of 73%, although you can try to max it out at 75% if you gear properly) -- (this tip was courtesy of Raahl -- gotta give credit where it's due).
    i would looooove put in DS. i've wanted to put it in in place of sss for a while, but the getting stuck bug has turned me off of it. maybe i'll give it another shot tonight...

sounds like i'm going to need to invest in a mouse with more than 2 buttons soon!
    I am glad that so many ppl like this build :)

I wonder what changes we will get with the next patch and hopefully we can have even more build diversity.
    ^
    Hallo Frisch

This looks a nice build with which I can go back to my neglected monk. He's level 60, but I've been playing abrb and wiz a lot lately and grown bored.

Your build looks great for me to have some fun again!

Thanks for taking the time to research and post this buddy.

Sticky requested.
    got any gameplay for this build?
    It's working smoothly tho unfortunately i don't record videos sorry.