[Request] Method to collect more data

Mac Technical Support
I am going to bring up the issue with performance fluctuations between a single display and a multi-display configuration. I am trying to see if there is any more data I can collect on this. While trying to do some profiling with OpenGL Profiler and OpenGL Driver Monitor, I am getting D3 to crash on me while trying to collect call traces. My primary concern with doing this could look like I am trying to exploit or do something nefarious with the game.

For the time being I have blocked the Blizzard crash reporter from talking back with the server and I would like to wait until there is a real way to do debug on this. However as it seems reproducible on a multitude of systems and fairly easy to reproduce. Additionally with the fact that the problem can be seen to change on the fly when connecting and disconnecting a display other than primary while the game is running.

Due to the nature of this, and seeming to be the primary performance problem on macs, I would have thought there would be some progress mentioned on this by now. I am going to take it that the lack of resolution of this means that we aren't providing enough data for the issue to be found. If that is the case then can we please have a way to provide traces or data that can show what might be causing the bottleneck.

I know I have brought this up before that there isn't a proper channel for communicating these thoughts directly to the devs other than official forums. There very well might be a good reason why this issue exists, but the fact that it isn't documented anywhere, has existed since the starcraft 2 beta, and has never been addressed is rather bothersome.
I'll touch base with the team about this and see what else I can find and what other information we can obtain if needed. Thanks.
12/14/2012 09:45 AMPosted by DirkGently
While trying to do some profiling with OpenGL Profiler and OpenGL Driver Monitor, I am getting D3 to crash on me while trying to collect call traces. My primary concern with doing this could look like I am trying to exploit or do something nefarious with the game.

I have no idea if this is true for D3, but it's true for WoW afaik:
Reading memory/stack traces won't cause any issues - just don't write anything of course.

Also, I was hacking with D3 and OpenGL Profiler/gdb the other day, and I'd suggest quitting the "Agent" process via Terminal/Activity Monitor after you start D3 and BEFORE you attach a debugger.

Also note that once you attach the debugger D3's execution becomes suspended, so your connection to battle.net will time out and the process won't be able to send or receive any data anyway.
Hey DirkGently,

I've touched base with the Mac team about the cycling FPS matter (specially to your multidisplay report). Have you tried out the 1.0.7 PTR to see if you notice a difference?
I cannot say I noticed it when I had the PTR installed, I might just wait until the 1.0.7 hits before testing again because I don't have it (the PTR) installed anymore.