Diablo 3 Fanboy plays TL2

Games & Technology
Hey, I finally decided to try torch light 2 and wanted to come share my experiences so far. I’m not doing this to troll at all but I want to give honest feedback to the developers. I’ll start by saying that I think Blizzard is the best game company around. I love WoW and think Diablo 3 is a fantastic game. Again I’m not playing one game and coming on another game’s forums to troll. I just want to give honest feedback to developers so they can continue making Diablo a better game.

After 15 minutes of TL I didn’t think the game could beat Diablo. After 2 hours I was beginning to question it. After 4 hours I shamefully decided I was having more fun in TL. My brother thought the same thing. We both still love Diablo but he also said he felt guilty having more fun in TL.

The following is a list of items I enjoy most about TL and how Diablo can improve. I’m not going to mention things that I think Blizzard will not or cannot change.

1. Gear: In the first 10 minutes of the game I reached level 3 and had some socketed boots, a weapon with 2 sockets and 1 gem. I couldn’t believe it. By level 10 I had 3 set pieces that gave me 2% attack speed and I think like 10% crit damage. Even in Diablo these stats really will not make you level any faster. Let’s not kid ourselves, however it was fun seeing set pieces drop and trying to collect them. Suggestion: Not only make gear better, but add tons of more set pieces including stuff that drops at low levels. Who cares if we have 2% attack speed? It’s not going to do much to the game but it will be fun and rewarding to see the stuff drop.

2. Difficulty: The game has 4 difficulties. Casual, normal, Veteran, and Elite. I started on Veteran Hardcore and have only played this difficulty. So far in the first week I have 8 deaths. I played HC diablo for 7 months and had 10 deaths including 2 DC’s. So that’s about 1 death per month compared to a death per day. I like this. I’m going to have to buckle down and pay attention if I want to progress. And as far as skill goes I got to Diablo Inferno before the big nerf, where they took all the affixes away and whatnot. Granted Diablo killed me but I still got to him pre-nerf so I’m not a complete noob.

3. Bosses: This kind of goes with difficulty but the bosses are WAY more complex and challenging. I about crapped my pants the first time I saw Belial. Once I could dodge stuff though he was beyond easy. Every other boss was tank n spank for a barb so long as you were geared. To give you an idea of the difference, a Torchlight boss would be like fighting the butcher while he summoned monsters and raised towers that shot walking mines out until they were destroyed. The butcher would then again be feared.

4. Stat points: Ugh, I can’t believe I’m saying this. I didn’t miss this in D3 at all until I tried it again. Maybe it had been too long since I had played D2 or something but putting stat points in and putting talent points in is a blast. Blizzard, please consider adding something like this in for the expansion.

5. Elites: Last but not least let’s talk about elites. In Diablo we basically fight the same things. A skeleton champ pack with XYZ or a phase beast champ pack with XYZ. Now I like elites and I like affixes but I didn’t realize how much I yearned for Diversity until I played TL2. In TL they will have monsters that are kind of like mini bosses. Think Act 4 key warden. Some of these little suckers will make you crap your pants the first time you fight them and still make you nervous the second through 8th times (yep, 8 deaths remember? : ( ). Add more key warden type mobs into the mix. Heck make it to where they can spawn in nearly any zone and make them have a higher chance of dropping something nice.

That’s it. I don’t want to make this thing any longer. Please do me a favor, if you read this please do not flame or insult each other. Just post your opinion below because I truly believe the D3 team will make some of these changes by the next expansion pack. Blizzard I still love you. I’m a D3 fanboy for life! Now excuse me, I gotta get back to my other game : 0

TLDR. 1. Add better gear. This includes set pieces, weapons with 4 sockets, and gems that reduce all damage by 3%.
2. Increase difficulty. MP does an amazing job and mostly takes care of this but add in some more complex monsters.
3. Make bosses difficult and complex like a one man raid or something. We should be nervous facing Azmodan in our farm runs but rewarded handsomely for doing so.
4. Stat points. Yep, I’ll admit it. They’re fun, I was wrong haters.
5. Add diversity to elites that doesn’t revolve around affixes. More Key wardens type mobs baby!
I foresee d3 expo making d3 a d2 with new graphics
TL2 with D3 FX/graphics = dream.
Are you sad that I'm probably going to buy TL2 after reading this post and you're not going to be paid by Runic Games for internet viral marketing? I'm bored anyway and need a new game...

Anyway GJ on earning money for people taking you for granted. No honestly I'm actually serious because I really want to play TL2 right now.
Well Esquilax, if you do end up playing let me know how long act 2 takes to clear if you start on Veteran. I'm at 12 deaths now : ( but having the time of my life. Que the music boys...
The biggest difference is that TL2 is a product made with heart.
It provokes you to think ,to design you own character, instead of mindless repeaded grinding.
I was in act 2 and was genuinely blown away by that randomly appeared maze puzzle that I actually took time to slove by pressing those floot switches. That was genius level design.
Most importantly it is fun.
You know that you can install and play more that one game on your pc?

shocking isn't it?
12/22/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Bonchon
TL2 IS THE BEST GAME EVERR. $20 vs $60!!! But their forum is dead so I don't feel like playing the game if I have noone to QQ with.

TL2 is dead which is why their forums are dead.
Diablo 3 Fanboy plays TL2

Wad amaze u at TL2 is the amount of innovation/creativity that are there. D3 wanted to reach out to alot audience like casuals, so they fail to innovate and even simplified all the systems (itemization, characterisation, stats, skill points etc.)
12/22/2012 07:00 AMPosted by poppah
I about crapped my pants the first time I saw Belial.

if belial made you crap your pants, facing diablo in d2 must have been a cataclysm.
You know that you can install and play more that one game on your pc?

shocking isn't it?
I like tl2...played the demo, it's really a great game made with heart by the same people that gave you diablo 2 ...But the moding business seems fishi...If they wouldn't have did that to solve the endless farming thing, tl2 would have been for shure the best...A closed server would have been the best ideea and tl2 would have had the best grade ever :)

I hate d3 from all my heart :)...hopefully this will be the last of they're failures. :)( even though they use the fact that they are blizzard and keep pushing down the throat garbage.
Interesting, thanks for the post. I've been debating picking up TL2 lately just out of boredom and being pretty much over D3. Does TL2 have any sort of endgame at all? Is there...you know...stuff to do aside from just grinding and vendoring the thousands of BS rares you pick up? Not trying to be snarky, I still like D3 (or maybe just the idea of it rather than the execution) and it'll probably get better eventually once the development teams starts shuffling around a bit, but I'm interested in what TL2 does better or worse and it's hard to get an unbiased, non-flame bait review around these parts...thanks!
Great post OP
12/24/2012 06:49 AMPosted by raffleking
Interesting, thanks for the post. I've been debating picking up TL2 lately just out of boredom and being pretty much over D3. Does TL2 have any sort of endgame at all? Is there...you know...stuff to do aside from just grinding and vendoring the thousands of BS rares you pick up? Not trying to be snarky, I still like D3 (or maybe just the idea of it rather than the execution) and it'll probably get better eventually once the development teams starts shuffling around a bit, but I'm interested in what TL2 does better or worse and it's hard to get an unbiased, non-flame bait review around these parts...thanks!

Diablo has always been a grinding game so not sure why you're upset over that fact.
TL2 sucks.

Its a weak diablo 2 clone except Diablo 2 was actually better

TL2 has crap gfx, boring story [ similar to D2's ], horrible physics engine so combat isn't very smooth, bad collision detection.

I got suckered into doing the Steam pre-order deal earlier in the year where you got TL1 for free when you paid and then obviously TL2 when it launched. I managed to force myself to finish TL1 once and that was it. However, as of yet I haven't been able to push myself to beat TL2 because its just a bad diablo 2 wanna-be
Hey, I finally decided to try torch light 2 and wanted to come share my experiences so far. I’m not doing this to troll at all but I want to give honest feedback to the developers.

Taking you strictly by what you wrote, I doubt that the TL2 developers will read it here.