How to Fix the Economy and Botting with PVP

General Discussion
i think with all the uniqueness of characters in d3 this can be avoided -- in fps everyone is the same
12/22/2012 04:33 PMPosted by exmigrant
1. Players drop some or all of their gear upon dying, which can be picked up by the opposing team. This creates incentive to win, and most people will not be fighting in their top tier gear. This should theoretically raise the price of mid level legendaries, meaning that you will not have to roll perfectly in order to get an item worth something. Also, this forces the losing team/player to go to the auction house and buy a new set of gear, and the winning team to (probably) sell the gear they found. As we all know, there is simply too much gold in the game right now, and every transaction in the AH takes out 15% of the gold in the transaction. The more players are forced to make AH transactions, the better this moneysink will work. This will also allow for people to not be able to "buy" victories, since they will have to risk what they are wearing.

Having players drop gear losing a PvP match will not help at all. It is unknown if players would actually wear the best gear or not. I mean if you truly have a perfectly rolled BiS gear and you are great at PvP. Then no one would be able to beat you period.

With the gear that the majority of the players have now it will be a match where whoever scores the first hit will win. Unless Blizz has something in mind to prevent that.

2. (Winning) in Pvp MUST be by far the most rewarding (not necessarily profitable) way of playing Diablo 3. Perhaps there should be gear or rewards which only can be obtained through Pvp against randomly selected opponents.
Botters are able to run scripts because they are up against a computer generated system, and not humans. I feel it would be almost impossible to make a bot that would be any good at pvp, without substantial risk. If players have access gear that is considered top tier, and can only have access it through randomized pvp, bots should in the long run be eliminated, or at least the value of the gold they are generating will become insignificant.

So then players need to love PvP in order to get the best gear, huh. Well forget that, it will never happen. Diablo has always been a PvE focus game with PvP added as an extra feature.

Also it will not stop botters in the PvE portion of the game. Also it will not stop the AH bots either. So you have no magic bullet to offer here.
Thanks for the input:

Well in other games that use this type of pvp system, players do not use their best gear. Even the most skilled people do not, as the risk is not worth it (even the top people will lose with top gear occasionally). And of course blizz is going to have to do some tweaking to balance life resists and dps, but they have said that they will.

For the other part--
Right now players have to love grinding to get the best gear. As far as AH bots go, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Yes, you CAN get the best drops in most areas, but if you want the top gear you are absolutely going to need to grind.

I am curious though, what would you do to improve pvp?
Thanks for the input:

Well in other games that use this type of pvp system, players do not use their best gear. Even the most skilled people do not, as the risk is not worth it (even the top people will lose with top gear occasionally). And of course blizz is going to have to do some tweaking to balance life resists and dps, but they have said that they will.

For the other part--
Right now players have to love grinding to get the best gear. As far as AH bots go, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Yes, you CAN get the best drops in most areas, but if you want the top gear you are absolutely going to need to grind.

I am curious though, what would you do to improve pvp?

Unless other players have equal gear or superior skill to you. Then your chances of losing to other players with BiS gear is very, very, very small indeed. Just look to WoW's PvP and you will understand what I am saying. There are PvP players that twink out their level 29 characters. Those twinks are so powerful that even a group of well geared players cannot beat. I have seen such posts on the WoW forums. In a gear depended game gear will factor in highly as far as who wins and who loses a match.

That last comment was simply saying that even if by the slightest of chances that your idea would kill botting, it would only work for PvP portion of the game. The PvE portion would not be effected. There would still be botters botting in the PvE portion, grinding for either gold or gear. Or maybe a little of both, as well as auction house bots that will still be there.

So at best your idea would only have a very slight chance of beating botting as far as PvP goes. But it will never be the magic bullet that cures botting in general.
Thanks again for imput:

I played Wow for a while but never did pvp. As far as I understand, the super well geared characters do not lose their gear upon death (please correct me if I am wrong). I believe that nobody will actually use their gear worth billions in pvp if they know there is a risk of losing the gear. Another thing that could be done is dueling where both players see each other's gear pre-battle, and decide on a wager
bump
bump
and again