Is there any point to farming higher mp?

Wizard
1 2 3 10 Next
Farming only mp 7/8 with my barb, I took him up to paragon 57. I had numerous finds that made me lot's of gold. Some of the more notable ones included a decent EF with over 1k dps base crit and a socket, a mempo with 4% CC and 190 strength, 3 lacunis all with between 5 and 6% CC.

All 11k of my 'new' wizards kills have come from 1.0.5 and 1.0.6. I have been farming with her strictly in mp 2 up until a few days ago when I started farming mp 4. With my barb, I hit an mf high point of around 550% before I sold his gear off running in mp 8. With my wiz, I am running mp 4 with 467%.

Other than getting fast exp, am I wasting my time in low mp's when it comes to gear farming? I know it is all supposed to be based on RNG but Based on my barbs performance, I would have thought that I would have found at least one good legendary by now. 99.9% of the crap I find has 0 chance of being good. I was thinking about spending a few weeks farming mp 8 using my cm gear to see if it holds the same pattern as my barb had. I am thinking mp 8 simply for the speed since elites packs melt pretty fast and being able to run with over 500% mf.

Have any of you had similar experiences?
Totally RNG I made 1 bil in a week mp 3-5 off of 5 drops and have not found a sellable item in a month since
No point. Nothing beats time multiplier. MP system is retarded. Should halve the HP and double the damage then it would be worth it for those who could survive.
Lots of of threads about this topic recently...

Think of it this way.

If say it takes you an extra 5-10 mins a run doing MP8 instead of MP3/4. Why not do MP8 if you don't really care about XP?

The extra mins you save by doing lower MP, you basically waste getting 5 stacks again when you restart your run anyways.

I just switch it up with XP build (blizzard/archon for MP0-3) and use my CM wizard to strictly blast MP7+. Just to break the boredom a bit. Doesn't really matter IMO.

Loot is all RNG, you've been fortunate. Might go dry for weeks or you hit the 2B jackpot tonight. Who knows :P
I think you should farm mp0-1 till you are lvl100 then consider mp3-5
Yeah, I think I should just farm mp1 for the fastest exp to 100 then deal with gear farming after that. Thanks for all the advice.
not one lousy bit. mp10 gladiator gloves and frostburn has since kept me from going beyond mp2. not even mp2 is good and i'm 286k dps buffed T_T
Yeah, low MPs for legendaries, sure. But since they've all sucked recently, Iv been farming higher MPs because the items roll with more affixes....and that makes a huge difference for gloves, Ammy, and rings. Rolling more than 4 affixes is key for these items, and high MP helps for that.
last night was horrible for me. worse drought ever and still kept trudging. what mp ya farm at, piehole?
I've started gathering datapoints for farming efficiency between MP8 and MP7. Unfortuneatly since I'm not max MF there will be a bit of variation over time, but I feel it will be somewhat mitigation cause paragon is coming slowly.

I'm going to do 50 hours (80-100 runs) of MP8, track the elites and total kills, and then the number of legendary drops.

Then do another 50 hours (100-120 runs) of MP7, track the elites and total kills, and the number of legendary drops.

Compare and contrast that data and see what we get. Right now I'm leaning towards MP7 being more efficient for loot, and am 99% sure the xp would be superior. It's going to take me like 3 weeks to get all that done though.
I've been farming mp9 n 10 lately n the loot seems better.I
Got a nat ring which sold for 220m last week n tal chest for 85mil yest.avg 1 2 sets 2hrs of play.run eb time bomb for mp7n above..it's faster.
12/27/2012 09:00 PMPosted by PieHole
Yeah, low MPs for legendaries, sure. But since they've all sucked recently, Iv been farming higher MPs because the items roll with more affixes....and that makes a huge difference for gloves, Ammy, and rings. Rolling more than 4 affixes is key for these items, and high MP helps for that.

Low MP for legendaries and high MP for rares doesn't make sense because both legendary and 6 affix drop rates scale the same with MF. In both cases you're probably best off running lower MP with max MF, and running whatever the highest MP you can without slowing your farm runs.
eb time bomb? how does that build work? been seeing it on shandy too. i have to agree with mp7, been there, done that; got a good lacuni with cc there.
12/27/2012 09:19 PMPosted by pichapiegal
eb time bomb? how does that build work? been seeing it on shandy too. i have to agree with mp7, been there, done that; got a good lacuni with cc there.

Time bomb is set where you were, not where you are. It also hits for a metric ton of damage.

So you teleport into the middle of a big pack of whites, freeze, run a few twisters, set up 3 time bombs, freeze again, then teleport to the next pack, letting the time bomb kill that grouping.

It also hits for a little more total damage than chain reaction, so it may save a few milliseconds vs elite packs.

Only downside to it is doorways in keeps and keybearer flitting around everywhere.
sounds tricky but i like fast stuff.
12/27/2012 09:00 PMPosted by PieHole

Unfortunately, MF does very little to improve the odds of getting a 6 affix rare.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/57939-magic-find-and-its-efficiency-a-statistical-insight/#S6-4

And MF does very little to improve the chances of you getting a leg after you hit ~500mf.

The only real perk from running the higher MPs is the bonus item drop, you get roughly twice as many drops on MP10 compared to MP0, but its obviously not going to be worth the trouble if you take 3 times the time to clear MP10.
I've started gathering datapoints for farming efficiency between MP8 and MP7. Unfortuneatly since I'm not max MF there will be a bit of variation over time, but I feel it will be somewhat mitigation cause paragon is coming slowly.

I'm going to do 50 hours (80-100 runs) of MP8, track the elites and total kills, and then the number of legendary drops.

Then do another 50 hours (100-120 runs) of MP7, track the elites and total kills, and the number of legendary drops.

Compare and contrast that data and see what we get. Right now I'm leaning towards MP7 being more efficient for loot, and am 99% sure the xp would be superior. It's going to take me like 3 weeks to get all that done though.

IMO a simple tally of elites and total mobs her hour over a couple hours (probably no more than 5-10 hours) should be sufficient to apply to how it should impact legendary and rare drop rates. I don't think 50 hours or total legendaries is needed.

You can easily compare the efficiency based on a simple comparison:
If MF = current MF on gear+follower,
Elite5 = Elites per hour on MP5, Elite6 = Elites per hour on MP6,
Kills5 = total Kills per hour on MP5, Kills6 = total Kills per hour on MP6
Bonus5 = bonus item chance % at MP5, Bonus6 = bonus item chance at MP6

if
(100+75+MF+6*25)/(100+75+MF+5*25) * (100+Bonus6)/(100+Bonus5) > (Elite5 / Elite6) or (Kills5 / Kills6)
then MP6 > MP5. Otherwise MP5 > MP6.

I expect Elite5/Elite6 to be similar to Kills5/Kills6. The gist of the comparison is you're looking at the relative gain to legendaries vs relative decrease in farming efficiency. If you increase your legendary drop rate by 10% but it takes you 20% longer to kill the same number of mobs, you're better off keeping the lower MP.

For reference, the (100+75+MF+6*25) comes from 100% base chance+75% from NV+total MF+25%MF per MP.
The exact effect of bonus items is nearly impossible to quantify mathematically. I've tried and tried and tried and I haven't been able to find a model that accurately enough predicts my results in such small sample sizes.

Therefore I'm throwing in the towel and acquiring large sample sizes of meticulus data to try to get a running average with enough certainty.

Elite kills and total kills between my two data points will be identical on a 'per run' basis. I will then normalize to a 'per hour' value and compare.

I generally agree the 25% MF is likely mostly insignificant, but the 12% additional bonus items is actually a massive increase. I'm killing 2400 ish whites per hour in MP8. My math says thats 70-100 more item drops by being in MP8 than MP7.

Now if I am able to kill 3500+ whites per hour in MP7 obviously that would make the entire thing moot. I dont think the difference in kill speed will be anywhere close to that significant. Its too early to give any feelings on the matter.
I edited the equation a bit since it should be (100+Bonus6)/(100+Bonus5), which is basically a ratio of drop rates per mob. That ends up being about 1.081 or about 8.1% more items from white mobs, which isn't a lot. With max base MF the MF ratio is 1.042 so the product is about 1.126. With 0 base MF the product is 1.171. In short, you'd need to kill at least 12-17% more mobs per hour to make raising MP from 5 to 6 to be worhtwhile.

My equation above just applies the bonus item to all mobs, so it results in a bit higher approximate gains from MP than you should see in reality. I'd still be suprised if you find the legendary gain ratio to be higher than the kill ratio even including the extra bonus at MP7+. I really suspect the max efficiency will be around MP4-6. The relative increase in bonus item drops for each MP is right around 8%. When you look at it that way, it's not as massive an increase as it may seem otherwise.
But bonus item drops are independent of all other item drops. You have three classes of possible item drops;

Elite pack drops (4.5 items)
White mob normal drops (10%? chance, disputed)
White mob bonus drops (30% chance of your % chance for a bonus item based on MP)

But then you have a TON of sources of error.

For example 'big' mobs like tremors and golgors can't drop bonus items cause they have a 100% certain drop. They therefore never trigger a bonus item.

Then spiders are not 30% 'something' droppers either, while harolds of pest. are way more than 30%.

I'm not willing to just take the math that is full of assumptions and call it gospel just yet. With all the margin of error of these assumption the difference of the 12% bonus items from MP7 to MP8 could be as high as 11%, not 8.1% as you have calculated. The 25% MF we can agree on though, thats 1.0455 higher in MP8 and MP7. Since MF effect is linear there are no assumptions in that term.