MY NEW STUN BUILD FOR UBERS

Monk
First of All this is NOT a DPS monk, this is a crowd control build. The stats focussed on here in order of most important to least important: IAS, Life, Res, Dex, Reflect Enemy Damage/Thorns.

Main Weapon: Sledgefist 44.5 + % Stun
Offhand: Stormshield

Your main attack will be an AOE Stun that doesn't do much damage but you will be invincible tanking one uber boss while your party members kill the other uber boss, also works great on elite packs or just mobs in general. Stun build is a vital part of the team.

Skills used include:
Retribution Aura (INCREASES Reflects Enemy damage) with Stun rune (VERY IMPORTANT)
Deadly Reach Scattered Blows Rune For AOE Stun
Lashing tail Kick with Fire Knockback or Stun rune for additional stun
Sweeping Wind Increased Radius Rune (Firestorm?) AOE STUN
Flash Heal With either increased heal or enemys run in fear when used (works quite well)
Sanctuary Heals increased duration

Gear:
Head: IAS + Life/dex (Andys)
Ammy: IAS life res or better w/ pickup radius optional
Shoulders: IAS? 150+ Life/dex 70+res
Chest:Innas Vast Expanse 1mil-5mil gold pickup radius optional
Gloves:G= Gladiators or Stone whatever one has the 3.5% + stun + IAS + life = ENEMY TAKES PHYSICAL DAMAGE
Rings: IAS, LIFE, RES, DEX or VITALITY Hellfire ring.
Legs:Innas Temperance
Belt:Innas or IAS life res belt pickup radius optional
Boots: IAS, Movement speed, Life, Res Pickup radius 5-7

With this build I have successfully tanked in MP7
Nice,but I'd lose the stormshield for a fist of Az for 5% more stun,then get 5% stun gloves for 60% stun...I picked up a sledgefist last week myself and use it for mp4-5 runs,I lose 20k damage but everything is stun-locked so it doesn't matter.
^You don't need that much stun as a monk class using thunderclap. With enough ias you'll be stunning with sledgefist (40%+) near infinite lockdown. The immunity will eventually kick in and breaks the stun cycle so it does not matter how much stun chance you have pass 40% with around 2.20 attk speed.
01/02/2013 12:15 PMPosted by Softlesscry
^You don't need that much stun as a monk class using thunderclap. With enough ias you'll be stunning with sledgefist (40%+) near infinite lockdown. The immunity will eventually kick in and breaks the stun cycle so it does not matter how much stun chance you have pass 40% with around 2.20 attk speed.

I agree,But I won't use thunderclap until I get a decent 25% WKL and a FoT 14% helm..

...Just preferences I guess
I actually really like the azurewrath's freeze over the sledge fist. It's a faster weapon and the freeze proc is an AOE, so you can beat on Kulle and if Siege sneaks up on you, you'll freeze him before he can do anything to you.
what about azurewrath + sledge fist for more cc? low dps but great cc
Thx for bring that up..I just bought a cheap pair of sledge fist and WKL (only 1 mil)...with 40k unbuff DPS, I can farm MP5 really easy now..can't wait to try this pair on ubers...
01/02/2013 11:05 AMPosted by mrpags

mmmm this part. Last i heard sweeping wind dont proc anything at all. Can someone verify?
I prefer just using FoT Quickening with Wave of Light Blinding Light... waaaaay easier.
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
01/03/2013 01:56 AMPosted by seansky
mmmm this part. Last i heard sweeping wind dont proc anything at all. Can someone verify?
The stun is an on-hit-effect. Sweeping Wind will not proc that.
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Socketed sledge fist in offhand, high DPS LL% EF in main, cast Breath, Flash, SW:Cyclone and keep hitting. GG.
01/03/2013 02:39 AMPosted by frisch

thx.

And yeh i prefer my quickening - blinding light. :)
01/03/2013 04:36 AMPosted by seansky

thx.

And yeh i prefer my quickening - blinding light. :)

I've been thinking about that myself given how spirit hungry I tend to be using bell-spam at higher MP levels. Why wkl for a build like that though? If you need quickening I expect you're dropping a LOT of bells. is the WKL really worth it (especially one without many distinguishing strengths) when you're getting a large portion of your DPS output from blasting people with a big elemental hit like that?
I've been thinking about that myself given how spirit hungry I tend to be using bell-spam at higher MP levels. Why wkl for a build like that though? If you need quickening I expect you're dropping a LOT of bells. is the WKL really worth it (especially one without many distinguishing strengths) when you're getting a large portion of your DPS output from blasting people with a big elemental hit like that?

Well WKL wont make ur bell stronger, but i still punch at the monsters alot, and also since my crit chance is high for quickening, the cyclone procs alot too. So i cant say WKL doesnt do anything at all. IT wont be as benificial to those who use only thunderclap and cyclone of coz. I do have a second fist that kas lpss, natural crit and socket, which will giv me 7k dps increase...... but that is only 7% of my dps so i figure WKL is still better at 18%, even if i drop bells alot. Dunno tho, what you think? What shud i try to get? FoL? sickle?
the one reason this wouldnt work is simply because CM WW.

if u want to claim the slot of the crowd controller, u have to do better or as good as other builds that can already do the same. and im not talking just about cc effects but the overall package - damage mods, buffs and of course, individual eDPS.

and lets face it, people doing uber dont actually want monks in their team, they want the OVERAWE. replacing overawe with anything else (unless there are 2 monks) is just not going to be a popular decision. u will get

"WTF? NO OVERAWE?"
"GET LOST NUB"

faster than u can say "but i can perma stun!"

then the cm ww wiz contributing 20% damage buff (cold blooded) and typically 100k dps or more with chantodo + source and doing more eDPS via chain reaction and mass ww would be rolling his eyes.

my suggestion would be to drop the stupid shield if you're going to use the sledgefist. at least give yourself some bite by having a fist of az like someone else mentioned, or another stun/freeze fist with good DPS. butcher's sickle is another contender for the stun role.

overawe has to stay. if u cant support overawe for uber, then you're a waste of a slot, you're just short of being pulled. sorry for being harsh.

Lashing tail Kick with Fire Knockback or Stun rune for additional stun
Flash Heal With either increased heal or enemys run in fear when used (works quite well)

the above recommendations are just rubbish. first, u are claiming to be cc monk but u are knocking back the enemy?
second, do u actually have the impression your sweeping wind procs stun?
third, why are u fearing the enemy away and losing battlefield control if you are supposed to hold them? arent u the cc monk?

Lashing tail kick, if used at all, MUST be used with the stun rune.
Sweeping wind should almost definitely be inner storm, since u will be needing that extra spirit to continue spamming your stun skill, be it the stun bell or stun kick.
rather than fearing enemies away, you should be pulling them IN with cyclone strike to stun them more. this is what sets the monk a cut above cm ww - the wizard cant pull in enemies.

and rather than deadly reach - scattered blows, u should seriously consider the crippling wave - rising tide. firstly for the damage and speed reduction, secondly because u will always be surrounded if you're using cyclone strike. which will be great because the critical hits will feed u even more spirit to perform scorpion tail or bell - rune: crit = stun.

this is what i did for mp7:

L: Cripp wave - Rising tide
R: Cyclone strike - inc dodge or implosion
1: SW - Inner storm
2: OVERAWE
3: Serenity
4: Stun bell or Scorpion tail.

Passives - OwE, Chant of Resonance, Exalted soul.

equipment: Sledge fist + Fist of Az. 4.7 freeze on belt. 4.2 stun on glove. Stone of jordan with 2 sp regen. 2 sp regen radiance.

although i found the control simply lacking compared to the cm ww, at the very least it did more damage than sledge + shield.
Has anyone tried Earth Ally spam for fighting ubers? Does that work or help at all? I haven't tried acting as crowd control in a group a Monk against ubers, but I'd think that a spammable guaranteed 3-second crowd control spell for 50 spirit would be pretty useful.

I'm also curious because depending on implementation, Earth Ally could possibly be amongst the best skills for PvP, assuming it works similarly to the way it works on Ubers.
Has anyone tried Earth Ally spam for fighting ubers? Does that work or help at all? I haven't tried acting as crowd control in a group a Monk against ubers, but I'd think that a spammable guaranteed 3-second crowd control spell for 50 spirit would be pretty useful.

I'm also curious because depending on implementation, Earth Ally could possibly be amongst the best skills for PvP, assuming it works similarly to the way it works on Ubers.

does summoning a fresh earth ally guarantee it will perform its wave attack?

btw it costs 25 spirit and not 50. if what u say is true, then depending on the AOE and whther the ally will always perform the move when freshly cast, u may be on to something.
OK EVERYONE!

After Reading extensively on all of your opinions I have constructed what works for me on MP7 ubers no problem at all, please go here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/mrpags-1151/hero/15045923 to see my build stats and items and all. I carefully chose everything based on all of your adviced and spent all day tweaking it and now I am nearly invincible in ubers and still only do 5kdmg and use the SS switch Fist of Azule or whatever that is that adds 5.5%stun and is 1100dps 198dex and 1.56 wep speed I vary between 50k and 5k with nearly 60k hp. True tank here. 5k wep switch is nearly always spamming bell and stun to keep you from getting hit and to knock back enemies to keep you from getting blocked in. that hammer with stun is nice with 25%ish crit and 2.2ish attk speed plus extra stun for whol party on aura which really helped everyone.

varying between 5k and 50k dps... the ubers like you a lot more than your friends do, thats for sure. u are aware your presence in the team adds 75% more health to the mobs?

not dying is good, although i would not mind occasionally rezzing a 100k dps cm ww than carrying a 5k dps monk with no overawe.

u are not alright by my book, and i wouldnt party with you even if i was short 1 for a full party. balance up your monk, bro.
Y'all need more life regen :D

just Saiyan....