How do you achieve 100-200k dps?

Witch Doctor
I'm having issues soloing as low as MP1 and 2. Checking videos, people with 150k+ dps have barley higher intellect than mine, in some cases lower, and their mainhand out DPS' mine by 150-200, yet I sit at 40k DPS unbuffed while everyone else has triple. What am I missing?
called crit chance, crit damage and attack speed. Intel has nothing to do with it
You need both Critical Hit chance (rings, amulet, gloves, helm, bracers) and Critical Hit Damage (rings, weapons, gloves, amulet).

Once you start to increase those your DPS will go up quickly as the effects are additive.

That means that if you have currently 10% critical hit chance and you add 100% CH damage your dps will go up 10%. If you add another 10% Crit Hit chance (on top of what you have barring changing other stats) you will increase your damage a further 10% on your current base damage.

Another approach is to get rings or amulet with base damage built in (example ring damage of +9-18) will increase your dps by 13.5 * Damage Multipliers (basically your intelligence + critical hit multipliers and a few other gear based items).
12/28/2012 12:44 PMPosted by TEDDYBEAR
called crit chance, crit damage and attack speed. Intel has nothing to do with it

Should I aim for crit, then? Seems counter intuitive on a caster. But then again spells are based off weapon damage for some reason...
You need both Critical Hit chance (rings, amulet, gloves, helm, bracers) and Critical Hit Damage (rings, weapons, gloves, amulet).

Once you start to increase those your DPS will go up quickly as the effects are additive.

That means that if you have currently 10% critical hit chance and you add 100% CH damage your dps will go up 10%. If you add another 10% Crit Hit chance (on top of what you have barring changing other stats) you will increase your damage a further 10% on your current base damage.

Another approach is to get rings or amulet with base damage built in (example ring damage of +9-18) will increase your dps by 13.5 * Damage Multipliers (basically your intelligence + critical hit multipliers and a few other gear based items).

Very informative, thank you. Crit chance and crit damage was the last thing I was looking into. Seems it's quite important.

Very informative, thank you. Crit chance and crit damage was the last thing I was looking into. Seems it's quite important.

Indeed. I only spent about 3,000,000 maybe less on my wd and I have 70k dps. Nowhere near the top but it isn't bad for 3,000,000. I also have really good life and resists. It's a good example of just how much crit and crit hit damage gains.

Indeed. I only spent about 3,000,000 maybe less on my wd and I have 70k dps. Nowhere near the top but it isn't bad for 3,000,000. I also have really good life and resists. It's a good example of just how much crit and crit hit damage gains.

I agree that prices seem cheap for everything but a weapon. Under 1 mil got me 40k dps, 58k health, 3.6k armor and 520 all resistances. I realized my dps was horrid compared to others, though, so I need to replace this stuff.
Last quick update, 500k got me 12k more DPS and every defense stat went up 100+ except for health. It seems crit chance/damage is extremely influential and cheap.
I've never seen anyone using a blue vanilla 2-hander like that before !!

You can probably get 24K more dps if you change that vendor trash to a cheap 1H with crit dmg and a cheap high damage mojo with crit%
12/28/2012 12:44 PMPosted by TEDDYBEAR
Intel has nothing to do with it

Int has everything to do with it!
Without Int, you crit boosts are boosting less base damage.
Yes, CC/CD is very important, but so is Int, they all work together in harmony.

Put it this way, if you're base damage w/o CC is 50k, and you get 50% chance at 500% damage (just using those as example numbers) your sheet damage will be 125k
But if you're base damage without cc is 100k, your final damage will be 250k
The quick answer is raise all of them, CC, CD, Int and IAS.

But at any price point, it is about balance. You do not need (or want) to have a lot of just one of them, instead, what you should aim for is to be good at all of them, rather than to be great in just one.
Careful with adding attack speed. Most WDs can handle a couple of items no problem, 3 or 4 items with attack speed can suck your mana dry if you don't use gear and skills to compensate for it.

It also depends on the attack skills you use. A big mana spender like bears, AC, Cloud of Bats, will burn your mana up with too much attack speed. So keep this in mind, and if I were you I would see how your build handles 3 attack speed items before adding any more.

Add as much intell, crit chance, and crit damage as you can afford, but easy on the attack speed.
I've spent only around 10 million for items and I have really good survivability and pretty decent damage. I would recommend get a black damage weapon with 900dps LS and OS if you can afford it. That way you can get a cheap Tal's Ammy and a Zuni's boots. The MS and %damage will really help.
You can easily bump up your dps by at least 30k if you replace that blue weapon with a less-than-500k Skorn (with 300+ Int and 150%+ CD and socket for gem).