How will WD play in PvP?

Witch Doctor
In general, I expect the WD to play as a defensive type that uses range and attack speed much like the necro of D2.

I'm thinking bears will take a backseat to longer range/faster cast skills such as acid cloud. A bunch of skills could also be useless such as gruesome feast/grave injustice depending on the environment. Several of our passives revolve around mana and itll be interesting to see if mana becomes a large issue in pvp. Guess it depends on how the duels drag out (1 hit kills possible?). Spirit vessel and jungle fort are probably staples.

Manitou - spirit barrage could be effective, and pets could be if they can actually last for a while. Any thoughts? I'm personally excited for a change of pace and the excitement of pvp.
for us WD's mana always an issue...lol honestly i think WD are gonna be the trickiest to fight in PvP because being the mid ranger he makes a great distance killer but also can be very effective up close!!! i think SB and haunt will be the main attacks of choice with phlebotomize becoming a go to rune.... the reason being all the %dmg buffs available for these skills!!
Poison dart SOJ.

Poison dart off-hand.

Snake in face.

18% Fear echoing fury.

3 attacks per second.

Piece the veil.

Hex.
Poison dart is good against standing targets, I expect Leaping Spiders to be more practical and deal more damage at the end, they are homing and can be cast off screen (+ SB/Haunt)
Totally forgot about Haunt, anything homing should be at the top of the list. Darts could be effective because of its pure speed but it might be tough to use against moving targets. Hex and Horrify, if they work right in pvp, should be great defensive skills.

As far as items go, i'm curious to see if players count as Elites. If so, soj and uhkapian serpent are gonna be really nice (as well as litany for the elite dmg reduction).
Totally forgot about Haunt, anything homing should be at the top of the list. Darts could be effective because of its pure speed but it might be tough to use against moving targets. Hex and Horrify, if they work right in pvp, should be great defensive skills.

As far as items go, i'm curious to see if players count as Elites. If so, soj and uhkapian serpent are gonna be really nice (as well as litany for the elite dmg reduction).

if you read the tooltip for the garg rune restless giant .... it says that other players doo... thats why i stacked up on elite gear ;)
Poison dart SOJ.

Poison dart off-hand.

Snake in face.

18% Fear echoing fury.

3 attacks per second.

Piece the veil.

Hex.

I like this....esepcially when using grasp (80% rune) and wall of zombies/unrelenting grip

if you read the tooltip for the garg rune restless giant .... it says that other players doo... thats why i stacked up on elite gear ;)

You would be right but I've heard that description could be updated, so its certainly not guaranteed to hold true for pvp
yeah i would say in ffa we will be most successful. for 1v1... not so sure how we will fare at this point.

cannot wait for ptr though!

lol
Here is a build I came up with. It is hard to know how much of an issue mana regen will be without trying it out in practice:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gZeUTi!fec!ZaZaZZ

Spirit Barrage/WoS (primary damage dealer, auto-target)
Haunt/Resentful Spirit (amplify damage output, auto-target)
Grasp/Unbreakable (keep melee away from you, help with WoS targeting)
Spirit Walk/Jaunt (duh)
Hex/Jinx (depends how well this works against players.... pretty OP against a single elite)
Garg/Restless (not sure how well pets will work... will give opponent something else to worry about)

I don't have any LoH currently, but working in LoH with Acid Cloud or Toads would also be good for PvP.
Since most of our damage is "damage over time" how well is that going to be defeated by health potions?

We don't have huge burst dps (other than bears) like other classes do. I just wonder if our poison over time is going to be faster than someone with life regen plus their own life steal/life on hit will build them back up? Kind of how like I can sit in molten and descrator without losing life, will oppenents be able to take our acid pools without dying?

Bust output like Monk or DH can do will probably kill a lot of people while their pots are on cooldown. Are we going to be able to deal the finishing blow fast enough?

I just don't know.
Since most of our damage is "damage over time" how well is that going to be defeated by health potions?

We don't have huge burst dps (other than bears) like other classes do. I just wonder if our poison over time is going to be faster than someone with life regen plus their own life steal/life on hit will build them back up? Kind of how like I can sit in molten and descrator without losing life, will oppenents be able to take our acid pools without dying?

Bust output like Monk or DH can do will probably kill a lot of people while their pots are on cooldown. Are we going to be able to deal the finishing blow fast enough?

I just don't know.

Sure we have DoT skills, but I don't think the average player will have more than say 1k life regen.
My WD sitting at 125k sheet, has locust ticks that hit for WELL over that in base, and then when the crit ticks happen it's even more.

I think out DoT skills will become a HUGE pain for people not stocked up in poison and fire resists.
i can't wait to turn someone into a pig...
Hopefully I wont be the one doing the chicken run... :P
What does everyone think of searing locusts? With the help of Jaunt or even GotD (Unbreakable Grasp), you could seriously screw over anyone for its overtime damage in a short succession compared to Haunt. Of course, I don't know how damage would be scaled in PvP but this could be useful for tracking damage and keeping the enemy on the defensive. Nothing better than getting eaten alive without having to deal direct damage, even potions can only do so much because of its cooldown. =/

EDIT: Didn't realize Haunt got buffed enormously. Comparing to its mana cost and overtime damage, that's a bummer. -.-
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeUiXZ!Wea!cYcZZa

more on debuff and escaping

summons will only help your enemy, they will use life steal on it

edit: agree DOT is the best, just dont let your enemy life steal on you, we need debuff to stop them from attacking you
Toad of Hugeness, anyone?
01/14/2013 07:20 PMPosted by quesadilla
Toad of Hugeness, anyone?

That skill is a cruel joke. Never seen it gobble up anything threatening.

I think, my first (few) spells will be acid rain and spirit walk, until it gives the first proc. Then I have 5 skill slots and 3 passives to decide what to do after I get the proc. Homing spells will be interesting (maybe bats?).

We are like an in-between class. Need to kite against melee and Wiz, and need to get closer against DH. Just wait for the 1.07 patch notes for now.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRUcXe!Wec!YacbYY

Build I've been tooling around with. Medusas over Darts. Haunt for distance, Plague Bats for close combat. And yes, Bats own. ;)
i think itll be absolutely terrifying to have the zombie dogs running up your face, since sacrifice deals a considerable chunk of damage, and can somewhat be considered as homing.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gZeiUf!Wba!ZaZZac

spririt barage homing, haunt amplify damage

grasp of d death , hex need to slow

and high dps from zombie bears

so i need spiritual attunement for this mana issues