Seven Years in Sanctuary

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 162 163 164 225 Next
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me.

Wow that takes a lot of guts to do and I respect that immensely. This might be the best blue post I've seen in years.

Mr. Pardo don't let the naysayers get you or your team down. When asked what the key to success was Bill Cosby said, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
@TheTias

You could have less than 1000 elite kills and realize the game is awful.

i got bored at nightmare, stopped at hell.. rolled a few HC to try find the fun.... just too boring .. why would continue the pain if the game to boring? ..

its crap that in that predicament as loved, i mean LOVED D1, and D2 - still play D2 - so now the time which i would have been playing D3 , is spent reading forums, seeing if others still feel a bit lost in the game direction, and wondering if there will be a a glimmer of hope ..
01/19/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Starfire
If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me.

Wow that takes a lot of guts to do and I respect that immensely. This might be the best blue post I've seen in years.

Mr. Pardo don't let the naysayers get you or your team down. When asked what the key to success was Bill Cosby said, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

placeholder legendary's are win.......
I couldn't disagree more. You've taken an enormous step backwards from play complexity. Combat is so oversimplified it could be a Contra re-skin. What happened to faster block rate, faster hit recovery? D2 had enemies that melt after being turned into ice and smashed. Fallen would cry out Rakinishu! Every boss encounter and now pvp takes place in a tiny crowded arena. Every last bit of freedom has been taken out of this game. Wizards can't teleport over simple objects. Character names are never encountered in game. You didn't pay attention AT ALL to what players expected from a diablo sequel.

Infernil,

You are on the right step, Look at the detail in D2 when surround by mob of enemy my zon hold a shield and a jav to attack as i attack my enemy surround me from mellee attack to range attack. In the thick of this battle i can hear distintively and see it too the battle mechanic of me shielding against attack i hear the enemy sword hitting my shield as a defense and is i attack and get hit first my attack has stop and thus i have to fall back on my chance of blocking to save me. Detail in game physics is what matter most, detail in weapons itemization are also important too,
If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Glad you could join the thread, and I actually appreciate you joining this conversation.

You released an unfinished product centered around a concept designed around making money through micro transactions (RMAH). You created a pay-to-win game, then proceeded to tweak "balance issues" in a game type that can AND SHOULD be inherently imbalanced in many ways. This is a non-competitive game on the face of it and one of the things that makes this genre fun for a multitude of people is getting to a point where your character feels like a god. An imbalanced, super powerful god.

I can understand changing little things here and there but the moment you changed the stats on items people payed REAL MONEY for, the D3 team crossed a line for me (I can't speak for others, but that moment was the one where I gave up on the game).

Also, there was a pervasive feeling for the months I was playing the game that you at Blizzard were the ones who could and should define what "FUN" was in the D3 universe and if anyone else dared to find anything outside of your definition of fun to be enjoyable, that was unacceptable. A glaring example was the "fix" that caused durability damage when breaking vases and other destructible objects, along with nerfing their drop tables, to keep people from farming them. Why should you care if people want to farm them? Go for it. Same with farming bosses. The predecessors of this game, D1 and D2, involved farming bosses. D3 made bosses pointless and somehow I should care about elites? Backwards game design.

Additionally, the game design went to a level of simplicity that isn't helpful. The skills are a joke and there is no customization skill/talent tree at all. Honestly, the game could have appealed to both serious and casual players, just have an option where the player can decide where points go or let the game/computer decide and have it build to a balanced level automatically if someone doesn't want to deal with assigning points.

So I don't know if it was you, Jay Wilson, or just the entire team not caring about what a huge number of the playerbase was trying to say to you, but you poisoned the well.

D3 was a huge hit because of D2. That's it. Your sales were generated by people who were excited for a sequel and bought your product on faith. This game made tons of people, like myself, lose faith. I will never again get a Blizzard game on brand loyalty and trust, but will instead wait for reviews before purchase.

You can turn this around if you care to. First, apologize to the vast number of fans of the franchise that you disappointed. Then work to fix it and win your loyalty back through actions. I am more than willing to buy your games if they are quality titles. And I understand that some number of people will be happy and enjoy any game, so it does not surprise me that some people enjoy or even love D3, but I caution you if you think you would have the same kind of sales and response if you released D4 tomorrow that you had when you released D3.
01/19/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Iceman
D3 was a huge hit because of D2. That's it. Your sales were generated by people who were excited for a sequel and bought your product on faith. This game made tons of people, like myself, lose faith. I will never again get a Blizzard game on brand loyalty and trust, but will instead wait for reviews before purchase.

Yep. What he said.

Actually it's true. the actual feel of fighting is EXTREMELY well done. its some of the numbers that are all screwy. the bazilions of gold on everyone's account the oodles of bots the pages and pages of legendaries.....the retarded stats on those legendaries.......oh god the retarded stats.....but the "actual feel" is great.

I wholly disagree. I remember being absolutely surrounded by herds of hell cows. The clank clank of constant blocks made the feel of combat real. There was much more attention given to the layered timing of the fight than that which is found anywhere in d3.

while i'm inclined to agree with your description, it differs from what I think Rob was trying to describe. The whole fun with smashing things. I'm envisioning an armload of the barbarian skills that look really brutal, like seismic slam, DH Strafe if your over geared, SSS, if you strip away all of the math. ALL of the math. and just imagine the attacks succeeding, they look and feel good. Don't consider anything but the feel. It might not be as complex or accurate or a whole number of things when compared to D2 but it (D3) looks and feels good. I would bet the farm that everyone who ever tried barbarian started the game, leveld up, picked hammer of the ancients went and smacked a zombie and thought it felt pretty good. within those 5 minutes.
01/19/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Iceman

I too believe this. In fact I was surprised at the 6,000,000+ sales... for a PC game? What in the heck? That is unheard of. Skyrim barely did a million and look how popular it is.

It was D2 all the way.
And damn it should have listen to my consciese, waited to buy it whenthe price drop to 20 dollars bin than maybe maybe my 20 dollars is worth for that d3 game. Oh wait i see a blizzard diablo 1,diablo 2 and a diablo2 lod battle chest for 20 dollars. Hmmmm think i will but the d2 package for 20 dollars insstead of d3 box .......oh wait i have A d2 battle chest already at home already. Oh thats allright d2 package has more value than this d3 box.
I found some of the posts that Jay Wilson made whether it be here or on social media websites quite unprofessional and unbecoming of someone so high up in Blizzard's company. That was when I lost faith and I started feeling like most of the other people all over the internet.

Sorry Jay, I'm not a fan but good luck.
01/18/2013 09:06 PMPosted by Paganblade
Why would it be embarassing? You don't feel manly when playing it? lol.

Couldn't blizzard leave it there , buff it maybe. So that people who might like it would play it? You would not *have* to play it. They could then add a new secret level with raining skeletons and decapitated pigs to honor your testosterone.

no i don't feel manly being in a surreal nightmare episode of my little pony. I want to kill cows marching at me with halberds and going MOOO! moooooo! MoOoOoO!!

Just the fact that whimsyshire exists is an affront to everything that was great about Diablo.
It was a waste of development time.

The pony level was created for guys like you. It's a joke that you obviously did not get.
I would just like to point out that most of the haters here have said that, due to Jay, the game didn't grow and he didn't have the balls to add anything new. Yet, these are the same people that complain that it's not just like D2. Which is it, which do you want? You can't have both.
If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game.

At this step of the game you don't have to ask that
You already know people feelings about the game and what to improve.
All you have to do is read the forums and try to take a little more seriously the reviews posted by users