Seven Years in Sanctuary

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 213 214 215 225 Next
Oh well, they always delete/lock harsh posts guys! That's what blues are there for...

Jay Wilzon wont be missed, maybe now the game will get somewhere worth of note. Like fixing HC server freezing, or that pvp long ago promised never delivered.

D3 is a shadow of D2, and todays Blizzy is this.. money crazy thing, not even close to Blizzard North. Shame, it used to be a great company.
Eugenius:
Wow. I stomached about 20 pages worth of this hate fest before throwing up in my mouth a little. Seeing as I had German barbecue yesterday, I'm slightly traumatized now.

What gets me is not the hating on Jay, Blizzard or D3. There are fine, justified subjective reasons for not liking any of them, indeed even intensely disliking them. What does get me, however, is the commentary and analysis offered by total idiots, most of whom will never - never - be offered a job at any games company, let alone Blizzard. At best you people would be qualified to be the QA department water boys or something, eliciting little bouts of laughter from the dev team when mentioning your various "ideas" (though in your heads you're all probably more like Will in that Good Will Hunting movie - a yet-to-be-discovered misunderstood genius; 'tis the American way I suppose).

Here's the thing: there's an inverse correlation between the likelihood that you'll bash Jay's role on the D3 project, and your understanding of the games development process. Even if you dislike the game, but are not a total bumbling idiot, you will at most settle for saying "game was !@#$, but good luck in the future", or something to that effect. The more detail you add in your analysis about Jay's role (and in some cases the game itself, some of you really are clueless), the less you know what you're talking about. Even other team members don't have the full picture.

Let's start by talking facts. By any objective standard of measurement, Diablo 3 is a good game. Just looking at its aggregated scores with reviewers, it's done better than most games. The sheer polish of things, the look-and-feel of the game, the accessibility... it's all very, very competent handiwork. If you're so much of a hater that you don't even acknowledge that, then the joke's on you. Some will then proceed to say that they don't care about all of that, because they take issue with something else. Well that is by definition a pet issue, and if you don't understand how little your one piece of anecdotal evidence means to the universe, the joke is once again on you. Now, I mention this stuff just to remind people how many games out there are god-awfully terrible, and how many good games - games that you probably like better than you claim to like D3 - don't even get their basics right, or at least not as right as the D3 team did. This matters, because some of you claim that Jay is somehow not good enough to do his job, but let me tell you that nobody in this industry would turn down an interview with Jay if he'd sent over a copy of D3 as a part of his job application. If you try to make the case that D3 is somehow an objectively bad game in general, considering where the average level of quality is in this industry, you are an absolute cretin.

As for the argument that it's simply not a very good Diablo game, I'm sure there are fine, debatable points there. But here comes the next problem with bashing Jay; he's not alone in this project. Sure, it makes logical sense that as Director he should be responsible, and this is indeed something that Blizzard more or less encourages by putting his face on the game in this fashion. The fact is, though, that games are large team efforts, and even outside the team there are loads of stakeholders that have one million opinions a day (and yes, that includes you ingrates). What someone like Jay has to do is to balance the interests of all the stakeholders, sometimes ticking strategic boxes that other people are forcing him to tick. It's not impossible that at some point, someone high above Jay's pay grade descended from Heaven and gave him a list of commandments, for example:

1.) We need to expand the user base. How can you increase accessibility and make the game less frightening and complex so that more people want to play?
2.) We need to jump on the micro-transaction train. Find some way to make that happen.
3.) Piracy is super-duper bad. We're going always-on with this one! Hey, it worked for Starcraft!
4.) (Etc.)

...and then he'd be expected to get all those boxes ticked in ways that these suits would feel happy with. And if you think that Jay doesn't care about the community, wait til' you hear what the bean counters think about you.

Oh, and let's not forget that the game passed through Blizzard's internal vetting process many times before launching; the rest of the company are behind Jay - making it even more dumb to single him out.

Get it? Like hell you do. If you take away one thing, just one thing from reading this, please take away that you don't get it. There are so many factors involved in the day-to-day of designing and building games that you don't get. There are almost as many political issues that you don't get - and that Blizzard will be even less likely to tell you about than the actual development woes. And every time you presume to comment on what Jay's qualities are, what he is personally responsible for, and how "easy" it would have been to do better than him, then you are once again making yourself the punchline of a joke that you simply don't have the mental facilities or the knowledge to understand. And, more importantly, you are too stupid and too arrogant to know that you don't understand it.

Good luck Jay. You've made a better game than 90% of us would, and a better Diablo than most.

Sincerely,

/A Creative Director on another very old and well-respected franchise

Typical ignorant suit mindset, you don't give a damn about fans and what makes a game enjoyable, you only care about profits and the fellow suits protecting you.

Real name and Blizzard employee ID please, and go join JW and get away from this franchise, 95% of Diablo fans know how much BS this corporation has been spewing out in excuses for piss-poor quality...

Yes, i do mean completely piss-poor quality of a game, this should never have been released even in the state its currently in. All this hatred spewing is well-deserved, but not just for Mr. Wilson, for the entire D3 crew that ignored what made D2 so popular and pissing all over what actually gives you a paycheck: ex-loyal fans ( you've already lost enough fans to lose credibility permanently)
and I remember Jay wilson Trashing Diablo 2's boss runs, saying it was not how he wanted to make this game. He trashed Legendarys (had to bring them back after release). He trashed the hostility button. Basically anything that was great about D2 did not make it to D3. And who ever trashed old server UI, where you get to name your games and have up to 8 players in a game I hate you too, instead of making the graphics cartoony forcing only 4 players per server shoulda built it around something that supports 8 or more people in a game because it was fun playing with other people unlike D3 where at release of the game your goal was to not play with anyone.

Blizzard has no idea how disappointing this game really is... that's just sad, you killed diablo.

Truth. What is kind of funny, ubers are just boss runs. I've gotten 10 or so legendaries from ubers, I've gotten 1 legendary from a boss battle. Diablo has always been about progressing through content and mowing down bosses for loot. I get not wanting bosses to be the only thing to play for, but making them drop worse than trash mobs was really bad thinking (which was 100% Jay's decision)
Eugenius:
Typical ignorant suit mindset, you don't give a damn about fans and what makes a game enjoyable, you only care about profits and the fellow suits protecting you.

Real name and Blizzard employee ID please, and go join JW and get away from this franchise, 95% of Diablo fans know how much BS this corporation has been spewing out in excuses for piss-poor quality...

Yes, i do mean completely piss-poor quality of a game, this should never have been released even in the state its currently in. All this hatred spewing is well-deserved, but not just for Mr. Wilson, for the entire D3 crew that ignored what made D2 so popular and pissing all over what actually gives you a paycheck: ex-loyal fans ( you've already lost enough fans to lose credibility permanently)

I sign that.

I know Blizz couldn't care less, and even more, this forum-state-of-the-art-trolling-bubble, but I don't plan to spend money on ANY Blizzard product ever again.
Its also worth noting poor the random maps are. infact i wouldn even go as far as to call the maps in Diablo 3 random, because they are blocks, set pieces that move around.

Most of the time it just feels to much the same, and that is sad.

Sometimes you should be able to get maps that are so complex and maze like you dont even know where to go.

Instead maps are more or less always the same, the set pieces are moved a bit around, never by to much, and you pretty much always know where the exit is, and you know oh there is that fire hole where 3 zombies always comes out.

Oh and there is that shine that always gives x % of this. its just to damn boring.

Diablo 3 is most definitely short on content. Act 4 is just down right mediocre. Not to mention how i almost broke my ESC key because of all the frustrating cutscenes, who though that was a good idea, MR suit guy up here, talks about running a project through the company many times before release.

so i ask you again, who though it was a good idea having CUTSCENES run again and agan and again.

First 10 times cutscenes are okay, after 100 times they get annoying, after 1000 times they get frustrating, and after 10.000 TIMES,

There are so many things that ruin of flow of Diablo 3, have to do the damn quests everytime you wanna play, run into cutscene after cutscene. I cannot fathom who though this was a good idea. something went wrong somewhere.
What actually pisses me off the most is that in the beta, where was some amazing people that really took long time to post very good feedback, and it was just overlooked or they were told off by Mr Jay himself.

You know what i know best, we dont like that, no no no, we know best. you name it.

People did tell them about character getting to boring when you have access to all skills.

People told them about the small areas and super SUPER linear game.

People told them Auction house, how it would ruin everything.

What you see in Path of exile, is that the developers actually damn well listen, they actually listen to feedback, instead of this whole EGO problem that i know best.

and that is the reason it has improved so much.

Can Diablo 3 be fixed? yes, but it will never be, because it will hurt the EGO of Blizzard and the dev team, they would actually have to admit, we were wrong, we actually didn listen enough, we didn know best.

There are so many great post by people here, on how to improve the game. But it takes balls and courage to do what needs to be done.

First step is change how drop and item itemization and remove Auction house, do that, then its a good start. But we all know that wont happen in a million years.

Small companies are the future of gaming, because they are "Games made by gamers for gamers" They actually listen. Is so amazing to provide good feedback and actually have the developers listen.

Because when x amount of people agree on something, you know what, we probably know best.
01/22/2013 10:01 PMPosted by Inkayjus
I feel almost sorry for Jay, because Diablo is such a big franchise, especially coming from Blizzard. D3 was a huge anticipated game and beyond hyped up. There will be always people complaining about everything if you change ANYTHING or nothing. People will be saying "it's too much like the predecessor", or it's "nothing like the game I played years ago". It's not easy to please everyone, which the devs tried to do. So I say farewell, and good luck to you, Jay and everyone else.

Honestly, Blizzard could have taken the D2 engine & code base, modernized the graphics and built 4 new Acts and new character types. They could have treated it like little more than a D2 super-expansion and players would not have been this angry about it. I'm not advocating this notion; I'm merely pointing out that Blizzard went FAR out of their way to screw up D3. FAR out of their way.
Thank you for your hard work on this game- I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yeah, whatever brad
Just read this . . .

Does Jay Wilson not know that everyone mocks, hates, wishes he did not taint D3, and hopes he wont taint any other potentially good Blizzard project?

I'm kind of confused.