Don't confine duel areas!

Brawling
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
01/15/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Lylirra
One of the big goals with the current design for dueling (in terms of where it exists and how you get there) is to limit opportunities for griefing.

I have to disagree here. Although dueling certainly enhances the experience of Diablo 3, one of the primary features that made Diablo 2 such a huge success was the ability to go hostile with each other by clicking the "PK Button .." This is not griefing, this is the world of Diablo. Even in co-op games, you do not truly know if the other player is good, evil, neutral, or there to help you. Restricting PK severely limits the choices of roleplaying in this game. At the very least, Blizzard should create PK / World PvP realms, in addition to these PvE Realms for dueling.

I have to disagree here. Although dueling certainly enhances the experience of Diablo 3, one of the primary features that made Diablo 2 such a huge success was the ability to go hostile with each other by clicking the "PK Button .."

That's your opinion. Most disagree with this, and so does the design team.

There's definitely room for a good "PvP wherever" option, but not one that does not ensure both players' consent.
01/16/2013 12:41 AMPosted by necropuddi
There's definitely room for a good "PvP wherever" option

I agree -- & there should be an option for World PvP / PK Realms ... Since when did we start having to ask the other player's "permission" to fight each other in a video game? We might as well replace Diablo with the big purple dinosaur & start singing Happy songs ... LOL

Blizzard North had a great PK system in Diablo 2 -- & that was the primary reason the game was a huge success ... There was no restriction on the playing field & players could fight each other anytime.

Of course, there was always the option to "password protect" the game, too, if one did not desire this Open PvP format ... Similarly, as in WoW, one could also choose either PvE or PvP environments, & this is exactly what Diablo needs. The current format of PvP is too restrictive.
01/15/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Lylirra
So just to get this clear, their will be no other way to find people to duel other than the channel you guys will create?

Not presently. If you have any suggestions, now's the time to provide them!

To follow: a suggestion on this and some other items.

Suggestion on finding people to duel:
Duel List. There is the friends and Recently Played List. Is there an option to "Add duelist" to a list? This would allow players to still use the Duel Channel, but optimize their individual experience by customizing their own specific network.

This is an added benefit to just "friending" everyone you have already dueled, or only dueling your friends. There are plenty of situation that I can imagine wanting an individual on my duel list, but not providing them with ease of access to joining any of my games, like I can enable for the Friends List, universally. Likewise, by giving the same request limitations for Duel List as Friend List, you can enable players to accept or decline without constant harassment. It would be an easy way to do this:

*plvl 40 Wiz Sees plvl 45 barb*
*Wiz player thinks "I can take him. Even with his tank build 5 levels ahead of me," and "This is a good run though."*

*Add Barb as Duelist, clicked*

On the PvP/Environment misalignment:
Taking a couple suggestions together:
- Allow any game to enable Dueling Publically after the defeat of the Act Boss. This will allow a little extra at the end of an Act, a nice Act Cap if you will. This way, people can still mob-kill even if there is no boss to beat at the end, and then duel after the environment is subdued.
- Disable the Advance Act NPC while anyone has Dueling Enabled. Anyone wanting to end the act but unable to do so because of an obstinate dueler(s) can simply leave. There is no added benefit to traveling between acts with the NPC over leaving and making a new game, except party retention...which you don't want in the case. Likewise, if it is just one, you can vote kick if the other three want to keep going without dueling.
- Dueling disables all WP in the wild for the player, You may only WP away from town. While dueling is enabled, only WP from town is allowable, thus you can get to location, but not from without using TP.
- TP disables Dueling availability, but it can be reset in town. This way no one can "run, hide, TP, heal, regear, repair, wait for all cooldown, then jump back to the duel secretly." A fish out of water loses.
- Dueling is only able to be set while in town and gives a 15-second timer and announcement. This way no one can jump a duel, or jump a duelist.
- Only players with Dueling enabled can battle.
- Travel between intra-act locations is disabled for duelers. This includes things like the Dank Cellar, Whimsey-shire, the Libraries, Caves, The Stonefront, and Keeps.
- As for events: you COULD make it so the event cannot recognize the dueler commands... but then again, the environment is still the environment in Diablo, whether trap or demon.
- DON'T Get rid of the Arena in lieu of this. It's still cool as.... Hell.
01/15/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've heavily talked

interesting choice of words.

begs the question: how bureaucratic does an organization really have to be to "heavily talk about" something so simple, without actually just doing it?
So just to get this clear, their will be no other way to find people to duel other than the channel you guys will create?

why dont you merge some channels, how many people is the max to one channel? why not just x4 that number hell even 8x. sure spam will go up some but so will communication and public games. It's kinda lame to try to join a public game when there is only 4 people total spread thur-out the acts. Also just a random annoyance is there a way to make the chat window scroll using the mouse wheel, because in game just touching the up or down arrow scrolls like 12 lines.
If I'm not mistaken the whole Idea behind Diablo is "smashing monsters with friends"

So if my friends and I are about smashing thing and talking trash and the trash talking gets to "just duel!" - just for fun between friends because I dropped a stupid unidentifyed legendary in the middle of a fight... we have to close our act3 game, open up a act1 game and loose our NV stack in the process.

And we'd never be able to just smash each other just where we are?
Thats sad.

How about giving a Player the B-net status "available for duell" and disregard every safty-precautions such as Followers, NPC-Followers, pop-up messages, Fallen Maniacs around the corner in a HC game and the like? - Maybe add a nifty little warning-massage if you activate it.

Just let the player controll the game and not the other way around.

The thing is over the last months my friends and I often thought of having a nice duel right there on the oozing remains of a falling maniac while we wait for the third to get his coffee, but having to make a special game for it is a huge downer and I suspect i'd never do a duel ever if this stays this way.

how about an added quest in the public games that's specially made for dueling?
also some base light radius (improved by pick up radius) would be nice just for pvp arena, long range spells looks cheap without some sort of a rewarding blind shot.
Now I realize this game is not WoW, but it has its similarities. I believe one issue with the pvp as it is would be the amount of people dueling. In D2 you could have 8 dueling at a time which was great you had more than 1 person to worry about, also you could party with different characters to make the teams even for the stronger characters. I think WoW stands out in this area. Battlegrounds, seem to be the best pvp system I've worked in and I think diablo could do nicely with this. making a SEPARATE accessible button around the quests button for pvp only games. Make these games 1-12 players make partying a capability and let them go at it. Of course eventually add more detail to the types of pvp such as capture the flag ect.

Why not allow players to flag themselves as "Available for Duel" - change the avatar to a hostile-ready appearance; Open up "Request to Duel" option if a Player has flagged themselves as Available for Duel; greyed out if they are not.

Let's people who are, say, farming to put a flag on and make themselves available for duel requests or Not Available (thus not spammable for Duel requests)

Put anyone who has flagged themselves as available into a "Available for Duels" channel.
just have a "Enable PvP" button. Easy. Folks who do not want to PvP will not click to enable it. Seriously, how hard is this?!
Couldn't there just have been a toggle switch like in most games, that would make you available for PvP (dueling) combat; such as hitting the 'G' button to throw your flag, it could also flag you and turn off followers and whatever else you are viewing as a potential hurdle to overcome in non-dueling areas.
I realize I am probably not the first to bring an idea such as this up(the post above me), but wouldn't that be an avenue worth looking into? This would also work well with a screen of "game type" choices ranging from trade, pvp(dueling), or farming. I know, I know. That was in D2, how dare I suggest something from the past. In a game chosen to be PvP, take away the flag in town to port to the players location.
To address a conversation as to what will make open world pvp(dueling) desirable, give it a kill credit, doesn't have to be a body part that drops. It could be simply a sack of 5 gold labeled "Heroes coin purse" that is kept track of, or a stack of valor lost or gained for losing or winning but in the case of camping a body (watch out taking a page from WoW here) make them an un-honorable kill until they kill a mob/go to town/reach a checkpoint/ect. ect ect. Maybe even something slightly more aggravating about being killed in the game you choose is to automatically send you to town after being killed by an enemy to make you have to hunt them for revenge(keep in mind these are just ideas, not saying any of this is how it should be).
I think it would be nice to have dueling in the quest drop down, to make a game specifically for dueling. You could join such game, and there could be different portals or "doors" to walk through, taking you to a different arena. The game would be public always I would think.
4 players max in game and 4 players max per arena, or maybe 6-8 max per game and 4 players max per arena.
NPC to accept bets. Click a player and select Dueling Bet or Wager or something, brings up a menu just like the trade Screen except wider with a middle bar and a name and picture of an NPC above it. I put in 20,000 g and so does he, or maybe 5,000 g, and it goes to the middle dude. When either myself or he dies, the gold goes automatically to the victor, or you have to collect it from said vender.
Each act would also have a specific dueling NPC with a different arena on their own specific to that act. Grave for act1, Sand Dune for act2, Swamp or fortress/bridge for act3 and Heaven (like those random places you can go for no better reason but to kill monsters) for act4, just to allow us spontaneous dueling at any time.
One thing I can't understand is why team duels wasn't implemented and why there is no score whatsoever... those were the only good reasons I could think for a duel arena.

As it is now, we can tell who killed whom, so it doesn't seem very hard to keep some score.... anything like kills/deaths and/or kill streaks would suffice.

There should also be a way to have timed duels where TP wouldn't be available and a winner would be appointed.

Another thing... bring back the ears drops or else this is not Diablo! (It could be a prize for winning the timed duels as oposed to every kill - and be account bounded to whoever deserved the ear)
Be happy that they even put pvp in diablo, it suppose to be a side fun thing to do-.- just like in Diablo 2
implement a separate menu to create pvp only games, allowing players to create/join pvp oriented-games. Consider creating its own menu section and queue system based on players's level/gear or EHP lvl or rating. That way you don't always have low lvls stuck with higher lvls imbalanced fighting each other in the game. what everyone is complaining about is, you guys sort of release this dueling thing sort of half !@#, it could have been done so much slicker and professional, but you guys basically threw up the ability to duel with no way easy way for people to get together and duel together.