Macbook Pro lagging and freezing up

Mac Technical Support
I am just trying to get any info on this issue. Ever since day 1 this game came out I have been unable to play with lag and cycling fps. This problem still persists. I've long put this game down but I keep trying to come back to it. No blame here I just wish it worked. And yes I've tried everything on the troubleshoot page and I'm playing on lowest settings. Though I find the cycling issue is better when playing windowed.

Macbook Pro Version 10.6.8

2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT/9400 (using 9600M)
Honestly it is better you just get a second display to hook up as that seems to resolve the fps cycling all together. Any additional display seems to do.
Windowed is the surest way to see a slight performance increase.

I'm seeing a lot of these posts lately, makes me a little relieved. Bear in mind that Blizzard has confirmed that they don't experience any issues themselves for 'inability to replicate' on their end.

It's a fruitless endeavor.
They aren't able to reproduce the issue!? Ha well that's nonsense. Who is willing to volunteer to go over there and show them =P

Yes windowed is the only way I can play but forget Act 3 and 4 on harder mp levels. The lag cripples response time way too much. It becomes more frustrating than fun.

Denial of the problem is fruitless. But I still have hope. I just want to hear from Blizzard that someone is working on this issue. And what can we do to resolve this.

OR Is my Graphics card permanently on the incompatible list?
They aren't able to reproduce the issue!? Ha well that's nonsense. Who is willing to volunteer to go over there and show them =P

Yes windowed is the only way I can play but forget Act 3 and 4 on harder mp levels. The lag cripples response time way too much. It becomes more frustrating than fun.

Denial of the problem is fruitless. But I still have hope. I just want to hear from Blizzard that someone is working on this issue. And what can we do to resolve this.

OR Is my Graphics card permanently on the incompatible list?

Your Graphics card should be suitable.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-unsupported-video-card-list
Your Graphics card should be suitable.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-unsupported-video-card-list

Yeah should be. But isn't. They should either fix it or throw it on the list. As it is it should be there now for showing poor performance.

Here is hoping it will get fixed.
The cycling problem is reproducible but hasn't been communicated back as solved yet. I have the same issues as you describe but I cease to have them once my second display connected.
01/24/2013 09:26 AMPosted by DirkGently
The cycling problem is reproducible but hasn't been communicated back as solved yet. I have the same issues as you describe but I cease to have them once my second display connected.

That is unfortunately not an option for a lot of people (most I'd say), including myself. While I have a spare MDP->HDMI connector, I have no secondary display input I can use and since MDP is an active connection via DVI or HDMI, you can't just use an adapter and dangling cable to mimic a second display.

01/28/2013 03:10 AMPosted by TheTias

That is unfortunately not an option for a lot of people (most I'd say), including myself. While I have a spare MDP->HDMI connector, I have no secondary display input I can use and since MDP is an active connection via DVI or HDMI, you can't just use an adapter and dangling cable to mimic a second display.

I completely agree, which is why the entire situation seems incredibly odd to me that nothing ever happens with this bug.
BTW Dirk, I was able to find a way to get a "second" display by using my spare MDP->HDMI adapter and just running the HDMI cable to my TV's third input since it's a "live" connection. Unfortunately, I get the unenviable task of informing you that adding a second display solves the stutter problem.

I did extensive testing in the most stutter prone areas (Field of Slaughter, Caldeum Sewers, Ruined Cistern, Highland Crossings [really bad], and either floor of the Gardens of Hope), and the problem remained exactly the same - upon first load of any new asset, the game stuttered and framerates took a dive. And just to make sure it wasn't a 10.6.8 problem, as is with WoW, I also tested all of the above areas in 10.7.5 and 10.8.2, making sure to reboot computer in between tests in Lion/ML (because of the well known OpenGL wake from sleep bug), and ended up with identical results.

So it looks like we're going to be stuck with the stutter/cycling problem for a while longer until regressions are found and eliminated again. Oh, and as a fun side effect, having a second display actually made framerates worse in situations where objects are broken, especially in large amounts.

Fun times.

Thanks for the additional feedback on this and another data point. As for the reduced framerate in objects getting broken, yes I do notice this at times, however the overall framerate stabilization is FAR worth it to dealing with the stuttering/cycling.

If you want to see something very interesting, you can repro this live without having to relaunch the game. I run the game in windowed mode, and I can plug and un-plug my second display and see the framerate differences and changes.
I'm wondering if I'm not seeing any change because I'm on a Mac Pro and not a laptop, which handles its video differently. It's always irritating trying to work out the differences between motherboard video (even if it is "discrete) vs. graphics cards, as while they may serve the same purpose, they aren't always working the same way.