Phat's budget Double Nado and gear reference

Barbarian
Prev 1 13 14 15 25 Next
Hi Phatphoeater

I'm seeking your expertise in gearing. I'm currently do fairly well in MP3, but would like to upgrade to MP6+ with 300 mil. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I actually try not helping with budgets in this range. It requires too much time since you need to use bids instead of buyouts. If I get a chance later, I can gear check and leave some things to think about but it will be up to you spend the time to look for them.

edit: your ias is all messed up. I would get new weapons with about half the budget and replace the rings. My MH was 100m on bid. I would consider getting an EF like mine but with LS instead of CD. It lets you be a lot more flexibile with passives. I *have* to use bloodthirst just for that 50CD. If you are patient that EF can be found for under 30m. I would also socket these with at least 90CD gems.

Another option is getting an 8ias axe for MH since this will let you hit 2.5/2.23 with only 2 slots of IAS with an appropriate EF with high aps mod. You have to get high damage range or really high CD and sacrifice a small bit of damage range. This is what wayneold did before stripping his gear.

IF you drop the ias from rings that would let you still hit 2.23 on both weapons. I think this is ideal if you want to keep ik5. I would get a ring with 30-60, 70str, high cc and as much CD as you can afford. I would consider using an SOJ in the other ring slot.

I would also consider using an exp gem in helm.

After this I would shore up your vit since AR will be an expensive upgrade. Add vit to belt, mine cost 80-90m, I cant remember. Bigger stat IK boots if you intend to keep ik5. More vit or life% on shoulders.
02/01/2013 02:46 PMPosted by bogden
phat would u do me a favor look at my barb,could u tell me if a soj would help or would i lose to much cd cc

Half naked but your CC is fine to drop some off a ring to use SOJ. I assume you use an EF with all that IAS. I hope for your sake the EF has .25aps because your IAS is 8889. Anything less on the EF and you are under 2.5 aps.
So PhatPho i got new shoulders for 7m. Boosted me 586 dps 4k vit, but lost 0.2% protection. I think it was worth it considering the protection was from Dex. New wep will give me protection too cause of strength which balances it out.

However, about a new mainhand I know 600-1200 range is ideal, but way out of my budget. Would a 600-1100 work nearly as well?
So PhatPho i got new shoulders for 7m. Boosted me 586 dps 4k vit, but lost 0.2% protection. I think it was worth it considering the protection was from Dex. New wep will give me protection too cause of strength which balances it out.

However, about a new mainhand I know 600-1200 range is ideal, but way out of my budget. Would a 600-1100 work nearly as well?

Since you have neither str nor crit on your MH, a mace with that damage range and str/crit will be better. However, you should use d3rawr to be sure.

Also look into my new intermediate 10m weapon combo, it might work out for you since you already use an SOJ. It's in my 3rd post of this thread. D3rawr before buying.
It may work however i sorta don't want to lose any more crit damage.

My major issue I was wondering is switching Superstition to Bloodthirst. Do you feel like it makes a huge difference in defence wise?
It may work however i sorta don't want to lose any more crit damage.

My major issue I was wondering is switching Superstition to Bloodthirst. Do you feel like it makes a huge difference in defence wise?

Superstition makes a big difference for mp10 ubers. I don't spend much time farming mp10 but I imagine it works well there. Unless you are farming for something with 100% drop chance in MP10, I don't think it's necessary. AFAIK that means keys. It looks like plan drops got nerfed. I'd rather get more dps on weapons to farm mp8 than get LS and use superstition.
I normally do mp7-8 key runs and mp 8 ubers with HoTA.

I just checked d3rawr and with a new mainhand that has lower damage range my tdps goes up by 73k in WoTB. However, I take 63k loss in eHP because of vit in weapon (my mistake from way before lol).

How much would u pay for a wep with

1050.6 DPS
638-1113

76 str
52% CD
OS

My friend told me instead of changing my wep, I should just go use Brawler passive, but i dont know about this.
IMO brawler has low uptime. If you are speed farming, it will have almost zero uptime. If you are doing mp10 then it may help.

If you only get 70k tdps, the new weapon is probably not worth using. It looks like a 5% boost after i put you into d3rawr. That's the kind of incremental boost I get with gear upgrades. 500m crit mempo gives me a 5% boost.

You will need to address the ehp loss eventually, so it shouldnt bother you.
Hey Phat, I got a new mainhand lol. It was 16m, so I just bought it xD. Not that great, but hey its a good temporary weapon for now. About 16k paper dps increase.

Actually I put a bid on it before going out and now sort of regret it LOL. oh well...

Do u think I can still HoTA Mp7/8 ubers with my current build/setup?
Tried a run in mp7 and ow. Arcanes hurt now lol. Is it because I lost 60 arcane res from shoulders or is it cause I switched superstition? Nonetheless this will take time to get use to.
IMO superstition is quite helpful. You've got more ehp than I do, so i don't know why you are having trouble in mp7.
Just did another quick key run and it seemed fine. No idea how I was having trouble last night.
Any advise Phat, I'm looking for upgrade.

30-50mills budjet.
Any advise Phat, I'm looking for upgrade.

30-50mills budjet.

6 slots of IAS and only hitting 2.23/2.5 aps. Fully buffed you are only hitting 815k tdps v elites.

I would try to clean up the IAS situation so you can add CD in its place. According to d3rawr, you can drop 18ias and stay in the same breakpoints. I would consider an SOJ and a cd/cc ring with 30-60 damage, 70str, 35cd+, 4.5cc+.

The remaining 8889 IAS slots will let you hit 2.5 aps on both weapons if you should ever want to use an EF, but it must be .25aps+. Getting another 1ias from the mempo or lacunis would be easy which would allow you to get a .24 aps EF.

Your MH is a budget MH, I would either save up for a MH like mine for 100m or get a nice intermediate big str, 200+, 650-1100, socket mace. I just helped someone shop the AH and found a 265str mace for 9mil. It came with bonus 115vit.

In terms of EHP, you are lacking in AR with those innas. I prefer another slot of AR to hit over 500 unbuffed. You also have 200 vit on the OH. If you are wed to the inna/ic combo, you need to get more stats in the way of vit on your ICs and vit on the innas. You also have no vit/life% on shoulders on belt.
Hey Phat,

You gave some advice on gear a few weeks back. I've since upgraded some items, current fully buffed stats (inc wotb and opks):

1.19mil tdps vs elites
2.5/2.5 aps
65.5% cc / 427%cd
42k hp
540k ehp base/725k ehp with dodge

From your posts I take it you'd recommend 24-28% cc on gear, so I guess the next upgrade for me will be crit lacunis (correct me if I'm wrong). My current EHP is around the ballpark you suggested for MP6 (swapping to a 18% life gem would actually put it at around MP7), so henceforth I'll be looking to work on getting my tdps up while trying to keep my EHP in place.

Currently have 50mil gold, could you provide some pointers on the pricing for lacunis?

I know AR/crit lacunis are quite pricey (even with 0 stats). Was considering going for str/vit/4.5% cc ones, but I'd appreciate your input regarding the ideal "value" and price I could extract when shopping.

Thanks!

Made some changes, thoughts? (still on the hunt to get a 0.25 LS SOC EF OH & MH SOC CD).

Hard to use SOJ and have zero cc on bracers/helm. @ 21cc you are well below the minimum. If you can keep wrath with your current setup i wouldn't change it. If you cant keep wrath then i would swap out the SOJ.

I like your ehp now, but it will take another hit once you upgrade your Mh and drop the vit.

I can't keep wrath on MP0 (unless I bash everything) -is this normal? On MP5 I can keep it up using Instigation.

CC I'll get on neck & ring (need paragon 100 so I can drop HF), bracers (probably drop the STR), 6cold WW Soj and eventually cc on gloves & mempos.

Still using enchantress (freeze gear) so will try with 3cc scoundrel (and buy him a freeze wep)

Switched my LS from MH to OH and got weps with sockets, not the best EF but affordable, not sure if I should drop LS on EF and switch to one like yours and pickup bloodthirst? I switched from Brawler to Superstition...not really sure what to use on (MP5) runs?

I feel like the char is at a good base/core...thanks again!
I can't keep wrath on MP0 (unless I bash everything) -is this normal? On MP5 I can keep it up using Instigation.
Switched my LS from MH to OH and got weps with sockets, not the best EF but affordable, not sure if I should drop LS on EF and switch to one like yours and pickup bloodthirst? I switched from Brawler to Superstition...not really sure what to use on (MP5) runs?

Any set thats worth more than 1mil will not be able to permawrath in mp0. If you play at the appropriate MP for your tdps then you should only have to use bash once or twice when an elite is almost dead so you dont drain your fury at the end of a fight with unnecessary ww/sprint spam. I try to end the fight with 1 or 2 bashes and have a full globe, while the last of the nados ticks them dead.

If you have the ehp/sustain to do mp5 without superstition/armor passives, why use them? That's why I settled on using bloodthirst. Only time I've needed LS on my weapon was when I tried soloing MP10 ubers and used superstition. I don't spend any time in mp10 otherwise. When patch hits, I plan to farm mp8 with zero defensive skills to farm plans. I have a cheap EF with 95crit/LS in my inventory if I hit a hard pack. If only we had weapon swap like good old d2.
Currently have 50mil gold, could you provide some pointers on the pricing for lacunis?

I know AR/crit lacunis are quite pricey (even with 0 stats). Was considering going for str/vit/4.5% cc ones, but I'd appreciate your input regarding the ideal "value" and price I could extract when shopping.

You dont absolutely need more AR. I'm running with about 550 including my int. I do fine mp8 farm, just not as fast as mp6. AR/cc lacunis are probably the most expensive combo. Mine were purchased at buyout of 175m and I'm sure I overpaid. If you want less CC and a little less AR, you can probably get it for your budget. If you drop it completely from bracers and just go for double vit roll/str/cc it's probably much cheaper for similar ehp.

If you even consider going Innas pants, skipping AR on bracers will be painful. If you don't plan on Innas, then it's no big deal.

Of course, none of this applies for pvp.

Using a SK MH minimizes effectiveness of your SOJ due to the holy damage. I've never actually looked at the numbers but I would use d3rawr and simply remove the elemental damage and see where your buffed tdps goes with pure black damage but same stats.
Hmmmm..so looking at your gear, I'm guessing your gearing strat was basically combining Inna's pants/Lacuni's/Ice climbers to balance out each other and keep your 2.5aps breakpoints.... but you come out ahead when it comes to your flexibility for ring(s) and the cold dmg reduction from IC?

SK: Yea, that holy damage is so bleh, I did test on d3rawr like you said, changed the holy damage values to 0 and it's basically a 23.7k tdps (edit: vs elites) gain from that alone (with all buffs). Before buying it I actually tried swapping to your mace and it was actually a tdps loss for me, checked the AH for some variations and all ended up behind the SK. Also tried I importing your gearset into d3rawr and that's when the tables turned and your mace is clearly better compared the SK. Presumably your higher (edit: total) STR/CD is the reason for the difference. Got it for 73million on bid though, so it will do for now.
Definitely something to upgrade once the rest of my gear is in better shape.
Im not sure i understand what you did with d3rawr. The reason my MH is stronger than yours is the black damage (gets more cold dmg from soj) and the bigger damage range (650-1200). It's these 2 things combined that will give you a significant boost. The str and crit on your weapon is great. The holy dmg and lower damage range isnt.

WRT innas/ic combo, this only works if you put another slot of AR on a non-core armor piece. I loathe AR on jewelry so it had to go on bracers. Getting the IAS on the pants allows me to use an SOJ and not be forced to put it IAS on the other ring or ammy. If I were on a much smaller budget than I spent, I would rather have rare pants with big ehp, vit/double str/crit lacunis, big vit IK boots, and soj/rare ring with cc/ias. Problem here is that upgrading to big str/vit ik boots costs more than my non MS IC. Not a great upgrade path.