So getting one shotted is dueling?

Brawling
Prev 1 7 8 9 14 Next

What will be the new PvP modes, please give us a hint!!!

hint: dual wielding visa axes and mastercard daggers involved

I am more keen to hear on a different aspect of some pvp modes where pay2win has nothing do with it.

A bastardarization of CTF or sumthing... like capture the goblin - a team must capture a goblin and take it to a place where upon capturing the goblin he will drop loot and lotsa gold.

Or a beastmaster mode - say 4 players choose some elite monster packs that will act as their minions and all these 4 players a pinned in arena to the death.

Stuff like that.
The majority of players didn't like getting 1 or 2-shotted in the initial inferno version we had upon release, so logic would dictate that the majority of players will not enjoy this same principle in dueling.

Damage debuff is necessary for dueling to retain the majority of the players' interests.
I don't want to see players leaving in droves again.

Also, the BoA needs another guaranteed useful affix that is worthwhile in order for the average player to not give up on it within the first week of the actual patch landing. Either that or the cost for crafting them needs to be reduced dramatically.

In addition, there needs to be a scoreboard that remains as long as players stay in the dueling realm. If we could set how many kills it takes to win before entering the dueling grounds each time that would be a major reinforcer for players to continue dueling.
01/15/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
why not give a damage reduction for pvp. at least give every class the 30%

Like I said, we're not opposed to making changes, even ones along the lines of a universal damage debuff while in the dueling zone. The point of the PTR is to get feedback from players so we can make those kinds of tuning adjustments if necessary.

We've only got a few hours of feedback at the moment, though, and we'd like to get a better picture of what players' general experience has been before we start talking about possible changes. For example, I'm betting that a lot of players are still dueling in their farming builds, rather than something that's been refined and tailored for PvP-style combat -- which can make a difference. We also want to make sure that the people who are providing feedback understand what dueling is supposed to be (i.e. not a place you go to for super balanced battles).

The part that really pisses me off, is I had a thread suggesting they both make a PVP flag for 95% damage reduction vs players(this could be changed to 90% based on testing).
I set this thread up a month ago. They deleted the thread. I suppose, logic was too much of a troll for Blizzard to handle?

2k life regen - you can still kill people.

10% lifesteal - they do so little damage it's worse than life regen, as well it should be in pvp. But still enough to make fights interesting.

best damage skills in-game dealing 30-50-70% of ones HP and not insta deading them? Much better than the 1 shot regular hit killing vs someone with 8k armor and 1,100 all res.

The math is sound.

If I do 1mil crits:

95% is 50,000
70% armor is 15,000
70% all res is 10,500 damage.

If I do 200k crits(75k normal hits)
95% is 10,000
70% is 3,000
70% is 900.

I'm hitting you for 900 damage, crits in pvp. I'm also likely hitting you 2-5 times a second. And using DAMAGE SKILLS and such, to apply somewhere around 3-6 hits per second. Totalling my DPS to you, with a 95% damage reduction and a roughly 120k dps build... To around 900*4.5. Or, roughly 4,050 dps. I'd kill a 2k life regen, 70/70 player in 20 seconds. This, is a FIGHT. This, is what I hoped for PvP. I'd be built with DPS skills in mind, and he'd be built to tank. He may kill me, if he has /any/ decent output.

This, is vital. It would mean that PvP would be tactical, and thoughtout. But FUN and teamwork oriented.

A tanky barb, for example, might go as far as to build with all tank skills, and I might not kill them on a wizard. - SO BE IT. I might actually encourage working with THE OTHER PLAYERS IN THE GAME, to kill this barb - But he'd not 1 shot me, either. I'd be able to kite him, and fight him, until his cooldowns eventually stop making him invulnerable. And I'd kill him. Or, he'd kill me if he splitter frenzy stunlocked me, and I was too scrubby to use my penultimate passive to escape him(the unstable anomoly method every class seems to have).

I feel like if I got hit, once a second, by 10,500 damage with a 95% damage reduction, the player who holstered that 1million crit build, deserves to kill me in 4 shots.

But if a player only has 50k, why is he still able to 1 shot me with the aforementioned stats?

The current PvP is nonsensical. In d2, you had ratings, armor, resist and they all counted for !@#$e.

This isn't D2. This is D3, where in we're doing multiples of 100 of damges. And the resists and armors are in fact less than that of D2. 90-95% resists were possible, there.

The same platform cannot be applied.

a 95% damage reduction TRIGGER(known as a pvp flag) is needed. If 95% turns out to be too much, 90% is more than too much already. But we could atleast give that a real go.

P.S. Oh, and as for a TLDR; lazy bastige statement, lets not forget this reduction trigger exists already. The monsters called "Demonic Tremors" already have the 90-95% reduction "skill"(trigger). When they go into defensive curl, you do like 5%-10% damge to them. They have 300k-9million hp, depending on your MP level, but if you want to test this idea - bring them down to 40k hp, and only attack them in defensive curl. THAT is what PVP should be like.

Period.
01/15/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
Like I said, we're not opposed to making changes, even ones along the lines of a universal damage debuff while in the dueling zone. The point of the PTR is to get feedback from players so we can make those kinds of tuning adjustments if necessary.

Can you implement something like parties in D2? Team vs. team would improve the game significantly. :)
Hmm error 520 all the time for the bloody ptr test ,be nice to even get in one ....lol
I think that they should put a dueling debuff as soon as possible, so that it can be tested while the patch is on the PTR. It wouldn't hurt to do it, people have already played plenty of duels without any influence on their damage.
I really quite like the current implementation, it shifts the focus to intelligent skill selection and use.

There is also plenty of room for us to choose different gear sets for longer, slower-paced matches.
Im not sure if this has been suggested, but after reading a few pages it seems some players like it the way it is, and alot want to have the damage reduced.
Why not set it so each mp level dictates the damage done? ( ie mp1= %10 damage done )
Surely this couldn't be to hard to implement, and it would keep alot of people happy till a proper pvp is released.
A lot of you are confused. You just focus on damage to farm, try to duel and want a good result? Try to get some vitality/res/armor instead of DPS build...
Yes we understand,we should not ask for balance but at least put that damage reduction debuff or any other thing to prevent us from getting one shot.Dying in one shot is just too annoying even if we accept that the classes are imbalanced.
THIS IS A JOKE , all asking pvp , now on test , but i think most of u tried 12 years in d2 before .pvp in diablo = 1 shot ...no need strategy
01/15/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Lylirra
Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think.

Please add into duels:

- Full fury/spirit to barb and monk after entering the pvp arena. (Right now, barb has no possibility to gain fury - the only way is to set passive skill - unforgiving -it's weak, because you have to wait 30 second to get all fury and you waste one of passive slots);
- the barbarian's fury is decreasing very fast in pvp area (much faster than in PvE terrritory). Could you fix that or even better: make fury stop decreasing in pvp arena and in Inn.
- cooldown reset after every death, so people will not have to wait to use their build skills, when the new fight starts again.
A lot of the opponents I've run into actually survive quite long and still do massive damage if I do an incorrect move and get hit. I don't know what type of people you guys run into, but I can't kill these 600-700 AR 80-90k HP people in like 2 shots or whatever even if they stand there AFK.

I've ended up with quite a few fights that lasted like 30-45 seconds. The only fights that turned out to be real "1-shots" for me were DH vs DH and DH vs Mage.
01/16/2013 12:12 PMPosted by Why
Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight.

Reducing damage has nothing to do with balance, if damage is reduces for all characters. People just want to be able to fight longer and be able to use a skill more then once.
So a 80% damage reduction should be in order.

The problem is that people run a variety of different builds that vary in their range of 'tankiness' from full tank all the way to glass cannon.

If you scroll back a couple of pages, you would have seen a tank DH saying he fought a tank barb to a standstill, with neither able to kill the other. If you impose some sort of PVP damage reduction, won't tank builds have even more trouble dealing enough damage to KO someone? And conversely, won't it be even harder to kill tanks?

I think whether or not you get one-shotted depends very much on how you gear. If you're a glass cannon build geared for PVE, why should you NOT get one-shotted? If you stack your damage sky-high at the expense of EHP, you SHOULD get one-shotted, but the trade-off is that you can probably one-shot others as well. If you don't like that play style then you probably need more tanky gear for PVP.

As the Blue has pointed out, give people some time to figure out PVP builds and PVP gear before calling for changes.
OK, here are the players with the top eHp in the world. If players are getting critical hits for 3 million, even these players can be taken down like twigs. A debuff is absolutely necessary for PvP to stand a chance.

D2 didn't have people getting critical hits for millions and even then a damage debuff for PvP was implemented.

Even with block chance, skills like Haunt from the WD cannot be blocked.

I say implement a 50% damage debuff in the next PTR version for this patch and titrate it up from there fore the retail release of the final 1.0.7.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/rating.stat_ehp_unbuffed

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced

It should have been. Players want a fair fight and balance between classes, not getting one shotted.

I hope that other "PvP modes" will be balanced....
Only bads get one shotted. Most ppl are specing way different for killing players than monsters tripling and even quadrupling EHP for PvP. Shields have a use again!

Prolly same bads that got Blizz to nerf this game so hard in live with low damage, no enrage, no shielded minions that any fool can beat for 20m gold now.

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about.

Yes I DO expect a "fair" fight. I expect that you actually have to FIGHT. This is not a Sci-Fi-Shooter with nukes, rocket launchers and C4 where you´d expect a "one shot". Charakters in D3 are nephalems, they are "semi-gods". They deal a lot of damage but they should also be able to take some damage before they die. With my mage I only need to switch on storm armor, hit diamond skin, teleport away. That´s it. Lightnings strike for 350k damage each, several times per second. Is that "a fight" at all? And I might even place a hydra in addition. That´s another 200k dmg per second. So I win most battles without actively attacking my enemy once.
take off ur cloths, buy blues from vendor and than duel. its so fun like this.
i don't care that i can't use items i farmed in last hundredths of hours, its rly great cuz ppl wear the same items, and only skill matter :)
Hello, Lylirra

i have some serious question!!!

when we play PVP, Increases Damage Against Elites is available to players??

this is very serious thing, because so many Monc and others have used Stone of Jordan.

please make sure me, and others plz~!!!!!