Dueling Barbs

Demon Hunter
That's a good point about block, I've thought about it before but I've never been able to come to a solid conclusion because gear varies so much. The flipside is if you're running a Manticore you might not be able to get a perfect stunlock due to the attack speed.

It's kind of a niche secondary setup I keep in my inventory for a bit of fun, in any case. I had to put on my normal gear to even dent that barb I was talking about. 'Stunlocking' as a concept really only applies to fights against Barbs since every other class has some kind of out from cc (apart from WotB).

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a shot versus you, if the server didn't seem to be down right now.
Stunlocking also will be almost impossible once the CC reductions are in place (30% inherent + elite CC reduction system). That being said, stunlock killing me (using only Bola Shot and Impale) with a 1h xbow will be very difficult, but maybe you can!?
01/22/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Iria
And in case you want to know, I run with 71% block chance lol.

But your DPS isn't even 9K? You hit like a wet tissue.
I actually suspect Impale won't be hurt by the CC reduction, since the spell has two components.

1. 100% chance to knockback
2. 65% chance to stun for 1.5s

You could remove the entire stun component and it would still have the knockback functioning as a pseudo stun/stagger. Better even, since it won't proc Juggernaut.
01/22/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Fatum
And in case you want to know, I run with 71% block chance lol.

But your DPS isn't even 9K? You hit like a wet tissue.

Yeah, I don't do any damage. And before you ask, why even bother with a worthless set of gear, I made my Barb to tank for OTHERS lol. When 4v4 team play is available I can scout, cover other players from projectiles, crowd control others (stun, draw-in, shout to lower damage), as well as contribute the least to the overall death count!
^^ sounds like a challenge!!!

I have no impale gear : /

Lend me yours!
I think the best counter against Iria's barb would be a high APS sentry build with custom engineering. With 3 APS and 3 additional sentries, that's 12 attacks per second. Even with his 71% block chance and 27% dodge chance, you would land 2.5 attacks per second. Add to that DOT skills like Cinder Arrow and additional passive attacks like Boar and Spike Trap Echoing. You wouldn't need to kite, since his damage is meager. You may even be able to counter much of his low damage with life regen and Brooding which would leave discipline free to use offensively like Caltrops Jagged Spikes, Vault ToC, or Prep Punishment. If ToC is a ground effect, does that mean it cannot be blocked or dodged?
PTR is up now. And I'm on.
Other thoughts against Iria's barb:

Marked for Death Mortal Enemy
Strafe Emberstrafe or Rocket Storm

You could backpedal with Strafe through Sentry Aid Stations.

If you use a companion, I'd go with Spider for the slow, Wolf for the extra damage, or Bat so he can't get free fury. Bat would help with keeping Strafe up.
Other thoughts against Iria's barb:

Marked for Death Mortal Enemy
Strafe Emberstrafe or Rocket Storm

You could backpedal with Strafe through Sentry Aid Stations.

If you use a companion, I'd go with Spider for the slow, Wolf for the extra damage, or Bat so he can't get free fury. Bat would help with keeping Strafe up.

Lol, I already said I was killable, but not with stunlock. Not even Myon could stunlock kill me.
this build will not work when top barbs with insane EHP, high DPS and high fury and life regen show up. The stun will sometimes give them 15% hp back. They will just use Berserk/ignore pain to charge you, and when they are on CD, they will run away around the corners. Sometimes you make a mistake, they can one-two shot you with Rend/HOTA.

Try the following (against barbs with 2million or more EHP, 120k + dps, unlimited running, it requires you have high dmg mitigation though):

evasive fire - harden (or covering fire)
impale - chemical
pet - boar
ss - 1.5s
prep - battle scar
sentry - either 1% life regen or 15% dmg reduction depends on opponent

passive
numbing trap - that 20% dmg reduction
perfectionist
brooding if oppoenent's dps is so-so / tact adv if opponent's dps is over 150k

this build allows you to take rend crit hit (ss in between if needed) or HOTA crit hit

And sometimes it is fun to use spike trap-echoing, just put it on the entries to the middle room and let the barb run over those if they wanna chase you. (more fun than caltraps lol)

evasive fire - covering fire covers a lot of range which is really helpful when chasing a barb who is on cooldown of ignore pain or berserk.
^^ will have to try. I had no idea my stun bola has been giving them life lol. Just thought they had lots of life regen passives or something.
01/22/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Iria
Also, 1h xbows have a disadvantage over 2h since they do more hits but less damage per hit. This makes shield blocks more effective at more weak hits than few strong hits. And in case you want to know, I run with 71% block chance lol.

your barb was made for trolling pvp... kinda stupid IMO.
why would anyone want to duel you?

to rage quit? and you just troll around laughing to yourself?
01/23/2013 01:15 PMPosted by hmk21
Also, 1h xbows have a disadvantage over 2h since they do more hits but less damage per hit. This makes shield blocks more effective at more weak hits than few strong hits. And in case you want to know, I run with 71% block chance lol.

your barb was made for trolling pvp... kinda stupid IMO.
why would anyone want to duel you?

to rage quit? and you just troll around laughing to yourself?

I am killable and I already stated my reasons for my Barb. Please read post #25 on this thread.
again your barb was created to troll. your own forums agree. and you know it.
its just stupid.

i can see why you only have 2k elite kills, cuz it must be boring as f*ck to play with that dps.
again your barb was created to troll. your own forums agree. and you know it.
its just stupid.

i can see why you only have 2k elite kills, cuz it must be boring as f*ck to play with that dps.

So much rage today lol. I have a WW set I use for farming exp on Lorax, I wouldn't dare do it with 9k dps. Again, how is this all affecting you? I never win with my pure tank, so at best I stalemate. Lastly, to reiterate, I built my Barb anticipating team PVP, not free-for-all.
01/22/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Iria
Yeah, I don't do any damage. And before you ask, why even bother with a worthless set of gear, I made my Barb to tank for OTHERS lol. When 4v4 team play is available I can scout, cover other players from projectiles, crowd control others (stun, draw-in, shout to lower damage), as well as contribute the least to the overall death count!

everything you described a regular barb with 200k dps can do.
waste of time and money.

i chose not to care when you stuck to barb forums, but now youre in DH territory :P
I read a lot on the DH forums too as I have a decently geared DH that I use regularly. I chose to input my opinion about Barbs since the topic title is "Dueling Barbs". It is only natural that Barb discussion comes up in such a titled thread.
01/23/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Iria
It is only natural that Barb discussion comes up in such a titled thread.

of course.

pvp's got me jumping class forums too for such education.
keep your friends close and your enemy's closer ;)
just got properly schooled by a barb called friendlyfade, so looking ard for suggestions.

i see the stun build, maybe it will work, but then again, i really dont think so.cus after that he let me have a go at his ehp.

i am on 310unbuff with soj, and then i put all the buffs on, sa archery shsh. still takes me 7 impales to down him without him trying to defend himself.

sooo, what do we do short of getting a machine gun.

oh and his rend hurts like a m%$@#$#%^