Monster density: Let's be honest

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 18 Next
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

If other acts had their strong points, density wouldn't be that crucial =/
i suggest a quick solution for this problem.
Seem increase mob density take much time..

Why not just adding Act 1 ,2 , 4 specific MF ,GF Extra EXP ,Extra Item Buff?
1.1x or something.... =)

Oooo i like this one.

Between a 1-10 ratio i'd choose 4 or 5.

I love when monsters clutter my screen and my health drops fast because i take numerous hits at once, it would actually subject me to thinking about switching talents on my character.

I play hardcore, so monster density wouldn't be a joke. You actually have to make quality decisions that effect life or death on Hardcore.
I personally find 'bursts' of high-density monster regions - when frequently occurring - by far the most satisfying.

For example, Keep Level 2, you take a short traversing break between areas of super high density rooms, with some near empty rooms, only to encounter another super dense region again. I think psychologically, this is a far more satisfying way to distribute an identical amount of monsters. I.e if 200 monsters are to be distributed in X zone of Y size, the most satisfying way from a gameplay perspective is having them really bunched up with minor, digestible breaks in between; this way there is no self-serving crazy amounts of monsters just packed into every inch of the map, but stays true to a balanced number.

So instead of having the 200 or so monsters distributed in a way that you encounter 10 at a time - 20 different times (which feels underwhelming), have packs of 50. Or something to this effect.

Applying a similar method to Act I and Act II like the tombs levels and Leoric's Manor (fantastic places to encounter, it is so awesome seeing the monsters charge you in hordes) THROUGHOUT the rest of the act, so there are high density areas all over would be amazing.

I'm sure others can come up with some fantastic distribution models but I personally feel this is the most satisfying thing. I also like mini breaks between crazy intense and dense fights to just sort of soak in the silence/aftermath, then move on - and in 5-10 seconds I'm back to another group of 50. I literally adore Keep level 2 for this reason, and I think it was voted #1 zone partly because of this also.
01/23/2013 02:23 AMPosted by Miguelitro
So, tell me: What mob density would you choose? If you tell me anything that is not "as much as my PC can handle!", you are a bad player, a terrible layer, or both.

Main reason to why I want higher mob density is because I believe it's much more fun. I'm getting quite bored on some parts in act 3 atm, but I think they are still much more fun because most parts of act 1 and 2 just feels.... empty.

I also believe it to be a good thing if farming efficiency is the same in all acts so they are equal for farming, but that could be fixed with just increased drop rates. Still wouldn't make me play act 1 and 2, just because it's boring with areas like Fields of Misery that feel like a desert. Act 2 is at least a desert...
ACT 3 is actually my least favorite of all the acts. It saddens me that it is currently, and has been for a while, the only act that I play. This is of course due to farming efficiency.

I much prefer act 1 and 2 to act 3, and would rather farm those areas... if I had the same density of monsters, and the equal ability to find great loot.

EDIT: I would like to see monster density to be used more thematically within the acts... here is an example of what I would consider an exciting experience. Let's take Lord of the Rings, Mines of Moria or... the goblin town inside the mountains in The Hobbit. These places are seemingly.... empty... areas of the world. However, when something stirs within the deep - the monsters just POUR out of every hole, every crevice. This creates a sense of panic, because the monsters just don't stop. I have never experienced something like this in diablo 3, and that deeply saddens me - because it is the perfect environment for such an experience.

I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?
ACT 3 is actually my least favorite of all the acts. It saddens me that it is currently, and has been for a while, the only act that I play. This is of course due to farming efficiency.

I much prefer act 1 and 2 to act 3, and would rather farm those areas... if I had the same density of monsters, and the equal ability to find great loot.

EDIT: I would like to see monster density to be used more thematically within the acts... here is an example of what I would consider an exciting experience. Let's take Lord of the Rings, Mines of Moria or... the goblin town inside the mountains in The Hobbit. These places are seemingly.... empty... areas of the world. However, when something stirs within the deep - the monsters just POUR out of every hole, every crevice. This creates a sense of panic, because the monsters just don't stop. I have never experienced something like this in diablo 3, and that deeply saddens me - because it is the perfect environment for such an experience.

I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?

I was thinking about linking that video while reading through your post. Indeed, that would be sweet.

I did make a thread about random events our favorite random events. Hopefully, Blizzard has taken some note :o
Even if mob density is changed....somebody....somewhere will calculate the best farming route and density and that will just become the new route. It will never be perfect in players eyes. Maybe what they should do is make it so like each week a different act has more mobs or a special mob to find.

yeah that video is way cooler than whats actually in the game. bummer blizzard, bummer

- disappointed at what could have been.
Aside from the great density in many parts of Act 3, one of my favorite places is Vault of the Assassin in Act 2. A few more mobs in this zone would be perfect, maybe 200 more monsters for the whole zone would be ideal IMO.
The problem with acts 1 & 2 are the vast open areas (Fields of Slaughter, Oasis, Desolate Sands, etc...) that have very few and very small packs making you run around looking for that next small pack. Doesn't feel much like you are leading an epic assault against the lord of Hell.
When I picture a battle of such epic proportions I expect to be met with serious opposition.

Having said that, Acts 1 & 2 feel like a classic RPG with random battles while Act 3 feels like Diablo.....Act 4 is somewhere in between.

I think the best solution would be to increase mob density accordingly in Acts 1, 2 & 4 in Inferno mode while adjusting their difficulty slightly to compensate so as not to screw over Hardcore players.
While adding adjustable densities (like MP) may seem good, I get the feeling for a majority of the player base it would be all or nothing.....
It is not about how much we want it, or to have a choice to be available. For the moment it is always Act3 farming route again and again and again and again........

Personally I think 1.75x elites and 1.5x normal mobs on Act1, 1.5x elites and normal mobs on Act2 and 2x elites and 2x normal on Act4 should do it.
01/23/2013 11:32 PMPosted by rockon87
Even if mob density is changed....somebody....somewhere will calculate the best farming route and density and that will just become the new route. It will never be perfect in players eyes. Maybe what they should do is make it so like each week a different act has more mobs or a special mob to find.

a) either go open world.
b) or make density highly variable yet all acts can peak like act 3.
c) more high density dungeons (vota type).
eg: ruins, forgotten ruins, vile cavern, cave of betrayer, sirroco caverns can be increased in density. (and less bees)
d) more nv stack giving events
e) adjusting way points to be near high density dungeon spawns.
I would rather have visual changes rather then numerical.

Adding more enemies to the boring acts rather then making already present enemies have more quality drops.

I'll probably add a longer opinion later.
I think mostly the open areas in Act2 need more monsters.
In Act 4 at the moment both Silver spire lvl 1 + 2 actually has a quite good monster density - the rest of the levels are lacking severely. Also I would recommend upping the spawn chances of unique / Rchest / champions in the special corridor levels (yeah the ones that look cool).

I also suggested having special monsters (purple text) behaving special aswell, right now they are nothing special. Only a high HP version of their monster type.
Powerful melee attacks
Powerful spell attacks

Some of them are even really rare to find so its a shame they don't put up a proper challenge.

Lets further the ideas. Why not give us farm mode, a infinite levels dungeon which form randomly from all the in-game dungeons (the the ruins in act2, the keep in act3, etc). Doing a repeating routine again and again is boring; remake game again and again to just do a few zones in act3 is stupid.
01/23/2013 02:30 AMPosted by Nightowl
Its more about getting the mob density in a1/a2 to the same level it is in a3. Making a1/a2 viable options for farming

I really hope when people say this they are not talking about the first two areas of Act III. Dense, yes, worth it, no, as they drop almost nothing and are worth almost no XP.

The later areas? I suppose they have more monster density than Act I or II, but honestly (excluding Act IV, which is worthless,) the last third of each Act is the only part that gives viable XP, and the hordes of monsters in Act III at this point don't (personally) feel any more profitable than the end areas of the other acts.

For farming, it's all about elites and rares, right? The only difference between the last third (again, pretty much the only useful parts) of Act III versus Acts I and II is that Act III has a longer "useful" set of areas than Act II, and is more linear than Act I.

I don't personally see mob density in III as a measure of anything.
I wanna just be able to jump over the side of the fortress in act 3 and clean up the ground minons. Im tried of seeing hundreds and hundreds of demons down there with no way to get down there to kill them :)
well OP said well, Act 3 lacks of space i mean no wide open areas like Act 1 or Act 2, so all monsters stack in one place mostly and they die very easy. So Act3 got more Exp, More monsters, Best chance to get get loot. Act 4 is worthless in farming. Act 1 2 are very nice but there are so much wide areas comparing monsters count, and if you farm it will be too long journey not efficient.. Act 3 > (Ac1 * 3), Act 2 is quite good in some places but still (Act 1 * 3) = Act 2 < Act 3.

Act 1 needs more monsters, more elites.. or more skeletons, zombies...