Monster density: Let's be honest

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 18 Next
In terms of mob density with elites, pretty much mirror the whole of Act 3 onto all other Acts, then for each of the other Acts choose one or two locations to have a slightly higher mob density making it the highest white mob density within its Act (like in Act 3 there's Fields of Slaughter)

I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?

I totally agree with your post. It would be great to have more thematic triggers to "high" monster density. If you take a look at the "favorite event" thread, almost everyone stated that the Jar of Souls was the best for this very reason.
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

It's realy sad that the reason given to improve a game is farming and aimed to please farmer. More mobs to kill is just more fun, that is the basics on any arpg... Mob Density should lower equaly the stats mf/gf/xp that the monster power raise(not hp or dps of mobs) and if you are not using MP it should reduce said stats. Lets play for fun instead of feeding the braindead zombies that would rather farm than play. "but but but i dont feel it's as efficient as playing act3 so it's a waste of my time" get a life already or re-evaluate the value of your time when playing a video game. You're turning a game into a job, let that to the chinese gold farmer.
many ranged people arent going to farm act 2 until you do something to the serpents invisibility range
the fact that my Demon Hunter cant shoot them until they are in melee range and if i try to kite them they invisible again
I really hope that a solution to farming other Acts will come with patch 1.0.7 since I'm so sick of farming Act 3 and I'm not sure if I can do it for 1 more patch.

To the OP.. I don't think you really understand why people want increased monster density, It's because people are so sick of Act 3 and want to farm other Acts.
In Diablo 2 they had a monster shrine. Maybe they could re-implement something like that again?
I was thinking lately about the same thing. More mob density would definitely be great!
01/24/2013 12:31 AMPosted by Mendacium
I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?

THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience.

And as other said several time during the past, as now, a monster shrine and some evil urns could be greatly appreciate :)
many ranged people arent going to farm act 2 until you do something to the serpents invisibility range
the fact that my Demon Hunter cant shoot them until they are in melee range and if i try to kite them they invisible again

Come on that's is something needed, forcing you to play as a true heros ! Legolas doesn't fear close combat, so you should not !
Theres too much content in Act 3 and not enough in Act 4. So removing content from act 3 and adding more content to act 4 is the obvious solution. act 1 & 2 are fine.

I know this would never happen, of course, but either you add content to all chapters to match act 3 or you remove content from act 3 to balance it out.

Either way your having to play with the very guts of the game, so a better solution might be to leave it alone and just let the expansion add more content ontop of the existing chapters instead of trying to bolt on "diablo isnt really dead" act 5 style expansion.

There is plenty of places to look, to add more content, the cathedral could have 10 more levels in act 1 to find Cormaks tomes, Act 2 could have more sewer dungeons and make Shen a follower NPC. Act 4 could have more portals going in and out of heaven so you can explore diablo's realm.
oooh oooh me.... im a terrible layer... like swiss cheese in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
I think everybody prefer play Monster Density Max than Monster Power max. Because it's so much more visceral.
I rather play a act 1 where I get to slaughter hordes of zombies and goatman right now it feels like there is nothing in act 1,
More monsters = more fun!

IMHO its not about the loot at all, when ppl want a higher mob density. Its at the first place the lack of fun when running through empty areas unable to find any monsters to slay ...

Looking at Diablo 2 i loved the cow-lvl because there was this hordes of cows to slay. It wasnt so much fun because of the loot. It was so much fun because of slaying all of this monster hordes! And in D3 i like the fields of slaughter or bastion depths 2 most because of its hight monster density. Not because of the loot. Its just boring for a hack & slay running through empty areas...
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

It isn't only about farming.

Three zombies coming out of a fire one by one (in act 1) isn't scary, isn't an army, isn't anything but an annoyance. An annoyance, not because we have to fight them, but because we have to wait for them to come out.

Those skeletons climbing through openings in the outside walls of the cathedral: same story.

Three monsters climbing the stairways in act 3 isn't scary either.

The completely empty walkway just before cydia's 'arena' isn't scary, there should be 50 monsters or 100 in that place alone.
Several of places in act 1 are like that, for instance that part before entering that spider dungeon (forgot the name).

There are so many of these places.
That's not what people expect in a diablo game.

Slaying screens full of demons, that's fun!
Therefore, act 3 is fun.

Increase mob density, decrease XP per mob.

On places where one, two or three monsters come out of something, add a random function that gives a small chance of spawning 5 instead of 1, or 20 instead of 3. Maybe also let a special monster or an elite pack come out those places once in a while. Give us the creeps by making that random too.

Make us pee our pants! ;)
It isn't only about farming.

Three zombies coming out of a fire one by one (in act 1) isn't scary, isn't an army, isn't anything but an annoyance. An annoyance, not because we have to fight them, but because we have to wait for them to come out.

Those skeletons climbing through openings in the outside walls of the cathedral: same story.

Three monsters climbing the stairways in act 3 isn't scary either.

The completely empty walkway just before cydia's 'arena' isn't scary, there should be 50 monsters or 100 in that place alone.
Several of places in act 1 are like that, for instance that part before entering that spider dungeon (forgot the name).

There are so many of these places.
That's not what people expect in a diablo game.

Slaying screens full of demons, that's fun!
Therefore, act 3 is fun.

Increase mob density, decrease XP per mob.

On places where one, two or three monsters come out of something, add a random function that gives a small chance of spawning 5 instead of 1, or 20 instead of 3. Maybe also let a special monster or an elite pack come out those places once in a while. Give us the creeps by making that random too.

Make us pee our pants! ;)

Nailed it!
I want more monster density for the lulz, I like increased density even if the loot stayed the exact same, because it would make the game feel like it isn't so empty. Though it was nice to have room to RUN AWAY when I first started Inferno many patches ago, the current game can seem mighty empty.

Plus, huge kill streaks are awesome.
I think there should be another "Monster" system added to the game/difficulty so we can tweak the difficulty even more, or the flow of our farm runs rather.

For example let's take a look at what we have now

On any difficulty we can set up a Monster Power for extra Magic Find, Gold Find and Experience bonus.

So how about also adding Monster Density option? Where you can choose whichever act you want to play and set it up 2x, 3x or 4x as the maximum. You may also tweak your Monster Power for your Legendary/Farming runs too.

Now you have 2 systems that compliment the difficulty level of your entire run and a lot more diversity.

If you don't have a very geared character and want to get your Magic Find/Gold Find up really quickly by leveling Paragon you can just play on Monster Power 0, but increase the Monster Density so you level much quicker because of the amount of monsters your killing.

This allows you level up quickly in the beginning of Inferno without taking forever to kill a elite pack as it would take you on Monster Power 4 or higher. However, obviously with Monster Power and Monster Density turned up it would be a lot more faster and beneficial since the amount of experience increase from Monster Power is insanely buffed in 1.07.

Once you feel comfortable enough, you can start playing with the settings more to better suit your style and efficiency of farming.

So let's say I was Paragon 0 and I wanted to get to Paragon 30 to start getting ready to do legendary farm runs I'd do this

#1 Chose my favorite Act 1 that I want to run

#2 Set up my Monster Density to whichever level I feel comfortable with (1x - 4x)

#3 Keep Monster Power at 0 or maybe put it to 1 depending on my Character's gear. In this case let's just say you hit 60 and you have crappy gear and not a lot of money, so you just had a budget of 500K - 1 Million to spend on the AH to be able to survive Inferno MP 0 just to start leveling and not worrying about farming just yet. )

#4 Keep running my favorite Act until I hit the level that I aimed for in a timely manner

#5 If I managed to farm enough money, I'd upgrade my gear slowly OR If I got lucky with loot drops I keep on going with what I have

#6 I feel like I have good enough gear now, but I don't think I can handle that many mobs now at Monster Power 3 so I am going to lower my Monster Density by 1x. Even though you decreased Monster Density by 1x, your still benefiting a lot more now from the Monster Power jump from 0 to 3 because of the major experience bonus increase thanks to the buff of patch 1.07.

#7 Tweak the settings and test a run until you feel you're running efficiently and of course having fun.

#8 Win.

This is my personal opinion, I personally would love to farm Act 1, I don't like Act 2, I like Act 3 but I am just really tired of it. Act 4 to me is just too short and was never fun, the only fun part was killing Diablo, because the Boss fight was cool.
A lot of players like mob density, me included, carving through hordes of minions, showing off how badass I am. I like an increase in density coordinated with MP as suggest above, or perhaps even buffer scaling for monsters in non act three, some acts have tougher monsters, some have more?

Or as an alternative to mindless slaughter add a "worth more exp" elite, and set the chance for it to spawn on less dense acts a tad higher.

The main reason is farming exp.
Some of the areas in act 1 and 2 are so open that even if you doubled the density of the mobs people would still find it more efficient to farm act 3.

Act three you can run as basically in a line with very little down time where you are not killing.

If you made an endless dungeon that was just one hallway that never ended and there was always mobs. people would farm that.

So the most efficient way to use monster density to make the other acts better for farming would be to apply it in the dungeons but not the surface areas.