[Build] DW XP/Loot Dashing Ninja Build

Monk
@Teckno: Glad you are having fun with your variant of the build. If you aren't too spirit starved, try using DS - WotFS rune - it costs 15 more spirit, but you'll really speed up in between kills and might be fun. But if your fights last any longer than 1-2 seconds, then yeah, quicksilver would be the way to go as you would not get any of the benefit of the +25% MS.
Ok so update on our progress.

Duo Monk Party. Each around 110k Dps Unbuff. We are on MP5

I'm using this build. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UdgfSk!cUX!ZbYZca
My Friend is using. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UdTfSh!dUX!ZbcZcc

We are having so much fun with this build.. Some things to Note. You don't need WotHF on this high of MP. We are still using it because its fun and it lets us practice and maximize our skill with Dashing Strike. Which is one of the 2 skills that is making this build so fun. Cyclone Strike is super fun too.

My friend is using Black Lash.. I'm using Overawe. So basically the two best Offensive Mantras for our build. We pull mobs in, and there taken back lash aoe + my overawe. Its pretty fun stuff.
01/28/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Nameless
@Teckno: Glad you are having fun with your variant of the build. If you aren't too spirit starved, try using DS - WotFS rune - it costs 15 more spirit, but you'll really speed up in between kills and might be fun. But if your fights last any longer than 1-2 seconds, then yeah, quicksilver would be the way to go as you would not get any of the benefit of the +25% MS.

Yeah Atm we are doing MP5 for the fun of it. So we dropped most of the mobility. XD

The Mobility is the key to this build in Lower mp0-1 ofc. We just were in the mood for longer fights I guess. ^^
Oh yeah we switched back to Cyclone for the Higher MP too. but only cause higher MP. Lower MP Fire Storm was my Fav.
BTW, when did Dashing Strike work around walls and such..? IN PTR it wasn't working like this in pvp..
01/28/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Teckno
BTW, when did Dashing Strike work around walls and such..? IN PTR it wasn't working like this in pvp..

LOL. It does? Man, I've never tried using it with walls because I kill monsters before walls even come up. Or are you talking about physical walls (and not waller monster affixes)?
Passives
Chant of Resonance
Fleet Footed
One With Everything or Seize the Initiative

Skills
Way of the Hundred Fists - Blazing Fists
Seven Sided Strike - Fulminating Onslaught
Blind Flash - Faith in the Light
Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing
Dashing Strike - Way of the Falling Star
Sweeping Wind - Master of Wind

Ok, I'm new, been playing a month so please excuse me if I step on toes or state things that are obvious to players more senior than I. But I've been trying to read what I think to be the popular posts and glean what I can from all of them.

First, I don't get the TR build. I've tried TR and it's not my speed. I certainly don't mean to poop on other people's playstyle, but I just don't get it. My own personal opinion. It's not fun and relies on gear that's currently way too expensive.

I've been playing something similar to this, but with using Crippling Wave. This post convinced me to switch to WotHF and I'm happy with that. The increased spirit generation is worth the lesser strike radius. Thank you!

BUT...I need to make some changes to the skills. When you are out farming, your major problem are ELITES. Fire chained, reflecting, pools of fire, etc...they need to go down fast. ALSO, it seems that gold/health pickup radius is ignored. I know the coming patch is supposed to slightly increase this, but I think it's over looked...you *need* 6-7 yards of this.

MANTRA OF CONVICTION is a must with the Overawe rune. This is also overlooked. You wade into an Elite mob and pop this, and then pop Seven Sided Strike w/Fulminating Onslaught and it's "Game Over" for the Elite mobs. They will disintegrate in front of your monk. You do need to be careful and make sure you don't so this with a bunch of trash mobs around, but it cleans out even the most annoying elites for me with almost no thought. So much that I think I might get rid of Sweeping Wind (which seems like a hanging offense).

Thanks for the info guys. With some personal skill differences and gear stuff, I feel so much better with my monk than I do with my barb and really ripping through some mobs and elites with this setup.
01/28/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Nameless

LOL. It does? Man, I've never tried using it with walls because I kill monsters before walls even come up. Or are you talking about physical walls (and not waller monster affixes)?

OPS was talking about Physical walls. Like in the keep. xD
@Bahnzo: Not having MoC/Overawe is not an oversight with this build, but it was a necessary sacrifice in order for me to have ample spirit generation to DS from target to target without being spirit starved, and being able to spam SSS when necessary. The reason why you need it is because you are playing with 55K dps. No disrespect intended, but I'm playing at double your DPS (@113K dps), so in essence, when I spam SSS without any buffs, I am out DPSing your monk fully buffed. When you get to >100K dps, you'll realize that you don't need MoC/Overawe to kill whole elite/champion packs, especially when buffed with BF/FitL (~60% for the average DW monk) at MP0.

In regards to which rune to use with MoC, it is purely situational. I would much prefer MoC/Submission in this instance because it adds a constant flow of damage that does not require frequent respamming to get it's effect; on the other hand, MoC/Overawe gets it's biggest bang when it's respammed every 3s, which is why it's part of the cookie cutter spec. In MP0, huge damage buff (when you are at >100K dps) is not necessary, but more DoT kind of skills would be more useful (except in the case of MoC/Submission, the DoT would be fixed tick damage for duration that MoC is up).

In regards to PuR, I mentioned it in one of my first paragraphs that it is important to have when you are speedfarming and not wanting to double back for gold or health globes. I usually have 7, but more is better IMO. And I haven't tried doing this with CW, as I am not yet familiar with the skill. The reason I use WotHF is chiefly for the IAS and MS buff stack when I am engaged in some fights.

I do appreciate you writing in and giving some of your feedback. Nice to see new monks try different things.

@Teckno: Wow. I had no idea that DS can travel through physical walls. Oh my, that makes this even more fun. I gotta give that a shot when I get home later tonight. Thanks for the tip!
Like they don't go right through it <_< I'm saying like... if your on other side of a wall and there is a door nearby, you dash to something on other side, if its close enough you will zoom around the corner past the door to the other side. :3
@nameless. Ok, I get you have 2x the DPS I have, but then why are you playing at MP0? I absolutely rip thru all acts at MP0 at my current level, DPS, gear, etc. Shouldn't you be playing at a higher level for the increased MF and GF?
@Bahnzo: Just so you know, I normally play at MP7 for solo key runs, and MP7 or MP8 in groups to play ubers with a completely different build than the one I am using in this guide. The reason we drop down to MP0 (and same with Druin) is that the speed of the kills trumps XP, MF and GF bonus that they give you for going up levels. You can also skimp on defence and EHP to play these levels because kills happen so much faster. The ease at which monsters die make it possible to use certain skill combinations that you can't do at higher MPs without being much better geared.

Case in point, speedfarming MP0 might take me ~1 hour to go up one paragon level (at my current paragon level), but to play at MP6 or above would probably take me well over 3 hours of play to get the same effect. And moving up paragon levels is a better way of getting more MF or GF than getting it on gear or playing high MP levels for increased MF & GF.

With that said, I think that Druin has also put together some math to demonstrate why TR farming in MP0 is still going to be more efficient for XP than the other levels even after 1.0.7 drops for TR farming (I don't think the math would necessarily apply to this build, but I'm not sure), but probably not by much and might give us more of a reason to play higher MP levels.
Ok. Then I guess I'm not grasping everything yet. It seems to me that if you want to farm loot, then you want to play at a higher MP level, but for XP then MP0? Because your title says it's for both loot and xp?

I realize that math does have a lot to do with how fast you can kill and loot drops, etc. But this is a game, and fun is as important IMO. The most fun I had with math was spelling "BOOBS" on my upside down calculator.

So I'll have to disagree. If you are running MP0, then MoC/OverAwe and Seven Sided Strike pretty much instantly destroys Elite mobs. At my weaker/lesser gear level. I dunno why you'd need to do anything more complicated.

Edit: and I don't mean to be argumentative, I just don't get why someone with your gear is running around in MP0 and saying this is the best for loot. I can run MP1 and notice a good advance in loot. And with the upcoming patch increasing XP for MP levels, I don't see the point.
Ok. Firstly, I love the build man. This is actually somewhat similar to what I used on my last two (my 2nd and 3rd) monks on the way to 60. Maximizing movement speed and everything, with all the MS runes and passives you've listed. You've just taken it a step further, to working order at 60 which is awesome :D

I also actually dabbled in TR'ing pre 60 with my last monk (numero tres) and that worked just as well. I just grabbed a Diabo with spirit regen and level reduction with around 850ish dps and ran through 45-60 in a couple hours or less (can't remember).

(1) Ok. Then I guess I'm not grasping everything yet. It seems to me that if you want to farm loot, then you want to play at a higher MP level, but for XP then MP0? Because your title says it's for both loot and xp?

(2) I realize that math does have a lot to do with how fast you can kill and loot drops, etc. But this is a game, and fun is as important IMO. The most fun I had with math was spelling "BOOBS" on my upside down calculator.

(3) So I'll have to disagree. If you are running MP0, then MoC/OverAwe and Seven Sided Strike pretty much instantly destroys Elite mobs. At my weaker/lesser gear level. I dunno why you'd need to do anything more complicated.

(4) Edit: and I don't mean to be argumentative, I just don't get why someone with your gear is running around in MP0 and saying this is the best for loot. I can run MP1 and notice a good advance in loot. And with the upcoming patch increasing XP for MP levels, I don't see the point.

1. Nope. Both xp AND loot are mathematically best on mp0 because of kills per second/minute/hour/whatever. The ONLY real reasons to play on higher MP levels are keys, ubers, and challenge/fun.

2. Many people find it the funnest to play the most mathematically ideal way :p

3. Like Nameless said, it depends on your gear level. He gave the example in the OP using his quality, not yours, so it makes sense. The same goes for Druin's guide. You can do it relatively cheaply (< 25m) and have 100k+ with a decent non LS Skorn and be able to easily xp farm in mp0. Just because someone uses themselves as an example doesn't make them wrong for claiming so, just because your gear quality is not as high which restricts you from being able to do what they can.

4. You answered this question/statement in #2. Its all math. Every class other than Barbarians choose mp0 to farm on, and thats only because they get fury starved if they kill too quickly (so they generally choose mp2-4).
Awesome thread, Nameless. I can't wait to give this a try to switch things up!
I tried it out for a pretty full clear of A3, I never had a problem keeping up sweeping wind, nor did I have any problem with refreshing mantra once in a while since I am used to spamming overawe anyway. The speed and mobility were great, it took some getting used to after having played the same cookie cutter build for so long, but I could surely improve my speed. I have about 115K dps and I didn't have trouble with melting down elites with SSS, only a few with higher health or shielding needed to be beaten down much. I did however try to punch as much as I could to make use of the blazing buff, but at that mp I wasn't able to do much with it. Part of the problem I was having was trying to optimize when I was punching and when I was dashing. If I could get away with it, I would surely swap out OWE for beacon, I ran into a few situations where the elite packs were too closely grouped and I would have loved to have SSS up faster to deal with them. Also not having serenity got me killed once because I was counting on it being there and it wasn't =P I might try swapping out of OWE for beacon next time I log in, at mp0 there isn't that much incoming damage so it may work for me.

Glad that I tried it out, worked fine without changing any gear, I could use a little more pickup range but it is speedy enough to make up for going back for a big pile of gold or something if you feel inclined to do so.
@Bahnzo
I think this may be a case of knowing-it-when-you-get-there. I used to think like you too, after running higher MP levels for so long, doing a run like this can be a nice change of pace where deaths happen quickly and the challenge becomes speed and not just killing everything in sight. In terms of XP/loot thing, I'll just leave loot out of the equation and say that until 1.0.7 drops, MP0 will be superior in terms of speed/efficiency for something close to 80% of the monks for gaining XP if you get the "right" build. Only the highest tiered monks can farm at higher MPs for greater efficiency. I"m obviously not one of them, so this is what I've done so far.

@EmperorMao @gotaplanstan
I think you both have points. There doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in terms of MF between MP0 and MP1 and there is a noticeable speed difference between the two at my DPS level, and for now... XP > loot until I get to level 50, probably. Then we'll see. I just want my MF & GF to be at a good level. It's hard to test loot quality because of the RNG factor though. For now, I'll stick with MP0 until next patch rolls out and then it might give me a reason to try something different for higher MPs.

@TexaStranger - hope you have fun with this. Would love to hear your impressions of this build.

@Surly -- living without serenity can be difficult. For me, I put DS where Serenity would go, since I almost use it like a serenity -- it is sometimes used as an escape hatch to get out of a troublesome spot. It probably took me around 5-10 runs to get the mechanics down pat and essentially un-learn the cookie cutter. In terms of keeping the BF stacks up, I personally don't use too much effort to keep it up, because I simply use DS to go from point to point anyway. Typically, I usually reserve punching for the monsters I know has more health that a run-by with SW wouldn't kill. And yeah, swapping out OWE for BoY might not be a bad idea if you can take it. Glad it's working okay for you with the gear you currently have. :)
Soooo... anyone else try this build out last night? Just curious about feedback and such. :)
01/28/2013 07:26 PMPosted by EmperorMao
False. Once you are at a certain DPS threshold you get more loot/hour doing higher MP in a high mob density route after getting 5 stacks because of the increased chance of mobs dropping multiple items. It's not hard to test. I get more rares per hour on MP7 with my Wizard than I ever could doing MP0 speedruns.

I'd be interested to see some of your proof on this. Or did you read it somewhere? Can you share a link with us?