Auction House Lag

General Discussion
You know, I just thought of this and I could be completely wrong about how it works, but... I'll try to explain my thought process anyway.

Every single auction that has ever happened in D3 has the transaction saved somewhere. I'm guessing this because just from my auction history alone, I can go back hundreds of pages before I get bored of clicking show more items. Multiply this by millions of people having thousands and thousands of auctions since the game launched last year, and somewhere there is a list of trillions of transactions saved probably.

When my computer (which is probably very very very crappy compared to Blizzard's servers) has a bunch of data stored, it takes longer to retrieve a specific piece of data.

Now maybe, if Blizzard would permanently delete the records of older auctions, say like more than a month or 2 old, I'm sure it would save a lot of load on their hardware, and possibly help with this auction house lag a bit?
02/05/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Grimiku
We are investigating an issue where auction house transactions are taking 5-10 days longer than normal and made a post about it in the Technical Support forums that you can find [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7810092950"]here[/url]. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, and should mention that we haven’t seen any cases in which transactions are permanently lost.

That would be fantastic, if that were the only issue. Or, if you addressed the issue TWO DAMN WEEKS AGO WHEN IT STARTED.

We could riff off a laundry list of things that are actually happening, but as per usual I'm sure the thousands of threads in General and Bug Report are going completely ignored.

It makes the game high unplayable, since you can't sell the gear you find, which is the entire point of the game (unless you happen to find the exact item you want, which just doesn't happen).
Try this workaround (mentioned in another thread) - worked for me!

Equip the 'buggy' AH item - enter any game - die (causes some damage to item) - then go to AH again and post the item - it will list this time and be searchable by you and other players.

cheers

I didnt die, but i have equipped the jl legacy and had mltiple mobs hit me multiple times wich should have cause damage to all my gear, it cost me to repair so i know my gear took damage. Repaired, still doesnt show up.

Screw it, ill equip and die with it on, hate to see the items waiting there unsellable.
You know, I just thought of this and I could be completely wrong about how it works, but... I'll try to explain my thought process anyway.

Every single auction that has ever happened in D3 has the transaction saved somewhere. I'm guessing this because just from my auction history alone, I can go back hundreds of pages before I get bored of clicking show more items. Multiply this by millions of people having thousands and thousands of auctions since the game launched last year, and somewhere there is a list of trillions of transactions saved probably.

When my computer (which is probably very very very crappy compared to Blizzard's servers) has a bunch of data stored, it takes longer to retrieve a specific piece of data.

Now maybe, if Blizzard would permanently delete the records of older auctions, say like more than a month or 2 old, I'm sure it would save a lot of load on their hardware, and possibly help with this auction house lag a bit?

The databases which I'm sure back the auction house were all designed to handle much larger volumes of data than the AH produces. Think wall street trading systems by comparison.

No, if this is a data storage problem ... it's a blizzard software problem, not a hardware problem.
Try this workaround (mentioned in another thread) - worked for me!

Equip the 'buggy' AH item - enter any game - die (causes some damage to item) - then go to AH again and post the item - it will list this time and be searchable by you and other players.

cheers

I didnt die, but i have equipped the jl legacy and had mltiple mobs hit me multiple times wich should have cause damage to all my gear, it cost me to repair so i know my gear took damage. Repaired, still doesnt show up.

Screw it, ill equip and die with it on, hate to see the items waiting there unsellable.

Don't repair the item before trying to re-post it on AH - I think the stat change due to damage to the item makes this work.