Keep RMAH, remove GOLD AH

General Discussion
agree

RMAH is fine

GAH destroyed D3 (-and a few other things)

01/29/2013 03:28 PMPosted by Adenhart
The biggest problem is the auction house and gold as currency.

true quote from another thread OP
The answer is no.
Please read all the way. Yes the pay2play will still be there, blizzards efforts in trying to take the "3rd party" $$$ schemes and make it their own is working i'd say. And you would be able to do it regardless if blizzard offered it or not.

If you remove the gold auction house, kept gold strictly for repairs and such, you would remove one key ingredient that is going to ruin the value of items. Botters.

Put more emphasis on an ITEM based system. Where gold means nothing except to craft BoAs, repair, potions, etc. Make higher MPs drop ridiculous loot compared to lower mps (so that bots cant farm easy) so you can either trade items in game or put them on the RMAH and make actual money. Because there will be no 'buy gold" function, items will now have a chance to float around their true value, and not compared/watered down to the billions and trillions of gold floating around.

May seem like a crazy idea but if you think about it long enough you will understand how this could be a fix. Think about this, in d2 gold meant nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

if you need elaboration, I'd be happy to give it.
f you remove the gold auction house, kept gold strictly for repairs and such, you would remove one key ingredient that is going to ruin the value of items. Botters.
lol no.

For this to work, gold would have to be removed from the RMAH.

But not really. Because if it was removed from the RMAH, bots would still be able to sell it in the black market.
Removal of the GAH:

1. Locks out those who refuse to play2win. Now they have no means of trading without wielding a credit card.

2. Makes the game's only currency worthless, thus further locking out trading for those not using a plastic sword.

Want to fix the inflation problem? Stop the sale of gold in the RMAH and ban botters. It's that simple.

Unfortunately Blizzard is fixated on monetization and there's no way they'll stop selling gold to players.
01/29/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Slappy
Want to fix the inflation problem? Stop the sale of gold in the RMAH and ban botters. It's that simple.

Don't you get those annoying 3rd party gold selling site invites even before you were able to sell gold in RMAH?

Yes, I agree with you on botting issue, but easy say than done. Only if Blizzard is willing to hire people to monitor us playing 24/7.

This wouldn't work.
Gold may still be used as a currency for trade.
Gold could still be farmed to craft for selling on the RMAH.

Most importantly though, you'd be removing a massive convenience for players in an attempt to discourage a comparably small percentage of botters.
Why punish the overwhelming majority?
01/29/2013 05:30 PMPosted by MrX
Don't you get those annoying 3rd party gold selling site invites even before you were able to sell gold in RMAH?

Botters sell gold through 3rd party sites, but they still must run bots to create the gold. By promoting the sale of gold from (literally) nothing, Blizzard is contributing to gold inflation like no 3rd party could ever do.

It's somewhat like comparing the Fed printing trillions in legitimate U.S. currency to a small counterfeiting operation in Argentina.

In ever economy, introducing currency always causes inflation. Blizzard has given players a way to print unlimited currency. Is it any surprise some items cost trillions of gold? In a few months, it'll probably be in the quadrillions.
Worst idea ever. Remove both auction houses or neither. It sounds like you're just disappointed that your items aren't selling in the RMAH or what you think they're worth.

but he has a point...prices right now are OUTRAGEOUS.

i mean.. trillions of gold? for real?

And the fix should be done in such a way that the game itself is the source of that fix.

Not by making the Pay2Win auction house the only option.

An item based system can work, but you need a diverse amount of meaningful items for the barter system to work, and those items have to have value on their own...D2 had SoJ's if I recall, and the original GW used Ectos, which were rare-ish drops from a specific zone - both cases these items had additional uses beyond just being currency.

The items within the game have to be the only true source of wealth for an item (or barter) system to work....and barter systems tend to not work all that well with Auction House systems anyway. Market places/trade forums? Yeah, it works - but not for mass listing. Those need a unified currency, and making real money the only option for that here?

Even if one could argue benefits to both the company and all players in such a system, the backlash from the community and from gamers in general would dwarf any and all criticism the game has seen thus far.
I vote no RMAH or GAH.
bots can't farm real money. And if they can please link. RMAH is not the problem, the fact you think people are getting an advantage by using RMAH is the problem. Don't use it if you don't like it. It would be here either way. In diablo 2 I could buy a full godly set of gear for $10 3rd party. D3 isn't nearly that bad, and the moneys actually going to players. (mostly)

The Gold AH is what bungs it all up. The bots farm for gold silly kids.

This wouldn't work.
Gold may still be used as a currency for trade.
Gold could still be farmed to craft for selling on the RMAH.

Most importantly though, you'd be removing a massive convenience for players in an attempt to discourage a comparably small percentage of botters.
Why punish the overwhelming majority?

part of the scheme would be removing gold from the RMAH. Duh.
bots can't farm real money. And if they can please link. RMAH is not the problem, the fact you think people are getting an advantage by using RMAH is the problem. Don't use it if you don't like it. It would be here either way. In diablo 2 I could buy a full godly set of gear for $10 3rd party. D3 isn't nearly that bad, and the moneys actually going to players. (mostly)

You're ignoring the very real temptation a company has to make sure using the alternative that generates them money is a very attractive one - f2p iOS games are plagued by this particular practice. To a degree this is already an isssue - using the AH is an attractive option because it is often difficult to get merely decent items with the exact stats that you want from farming, with no possibility of altering or improving items that are almost there. Even Blizzard has said that drop rates are tuned with the ease of access of the AH in mind.

Now you want them to only allow items to be sold on the AH via real life cash, with no other viable option, except to somehow be able to trade in-game (hello trade spam, and good luck getting much trading done when few items actually have any worth - you need more than just gear, note my example about GW1 and D2 above, and I can bring up others that work if needed) or sell for money? Items will only have value based on what kind of real life money people can get for them (much like most items only have value based on what kind of gold they can be sold for now), and things will return to the same state they are in now, except only real money is involved and no in-game gold.

Your solution fixes nothing. The auction house in any form is far too convenient a system for players to turn to old school trade spamming.
Don't own a credit card, never have. not in debt. Don't use RMAH, never want to.

Regards
Remove GAH and keep RMAH: *Another* thing I would immediately quit D3, even as someone who loves D3.

GAH (and trading loot) is an essential component of this game. Without it I would immediately quit.

The fact that some "propose" such extremely silly ideas is proof enough that some people have no idea. The ENTIRE GAME is built around trading (grinding --> selling/buying in the AH --> gear). You cannot just simply take this away because 99% of the loot drops are not suitable, you HAVE TO sell them.

For me, the GAH aspect of the game is actually a HUUGE plus why I play D3. I never saw the GAH as a "problem" at all. It adds to the game.
01/29/2013 06:08 PMPosted by darkthrone

Bots are a minor part of the problem compared to being able to purchase unlimited amounts of gold from the RMAH. Yes, I realize you are for removing the sale of gold in the RMAH - so we agree on this issue. That change alone fixes inflation (along with monitoring and banning bots as is already being done). There is zero need to shut down the gold auction house if gold isn't being introduced into the system artificially.

The only thing closing the GAH accomplishes at this point in the scenario is locking out "legit" players who aren't looking to pay2win with their credit cards. You've removed their one viable avenue of trading items.

Judging from your profile, you have used the RMAH plenty. That's fine, but please don't lock me out of the system just because I don't use it.
Gold shouldn't be worth anything.
01/29/2013 07:32 PMPosted by darkthrone
Gold shouldn't be worth anything.

Great, let's say gold is worthless and I don't use the RMAH. How can I trade a decent item to another player for a decent item I can use? Should I just spam global chat endlessly? Do you have a solution to this problem other than forcing me to wield my credit card like you've done?
Rape is a serious crime everywhere but let's face it, there will always be rapists. Woman walking on the streets are in danger without a bodyguard.

So to stop @#!%*#!# crime, we should ban women to walk on streets without a bodyguard. Only the rich women who can hire bodyguard(s) can go anywhere they want.
01/29/2013 03:43 PMPosted by darkthrone
If you remove the gold auction house, kept gold strictly for repairs and such, you would remove one key ingredient that is going to ruin the value of items. Botters.

This is a brilliant idea!
Bots in D3, just like bots in D2, were only farming gold.

There's probably still a million bots running in D2, collecting runes and uniques.
Right now they farm gold because it's the easiest way to bot.

Make gold worthless, they'll farm items.