Ubers: shards vs shell

Wizard
1 2 3 5 Next
I've been going back and forth between shards and crystal shell quite a bit when doing mp10 ubers and am wondering what others opinions (people who normally run full sns build) / expereinces are. I'm far too lazy to solo ubers enough times to get the data id need to have an accurate reading in dps difference but from general observation shards doesnt seem to boost dps quite so much in uber fights since its usually only 1-2 targets.

reasons I use shards: higher dps (duh lol)

reasons I use shell: With shell I can run face-first into magdas bugs / stand on arcane axis for several seconds, making magda/sk fight incredibly easy where as shards will require me to be a bit more attentive during that fight haha.

I generally only run ubers in mp10 and usually I'm carrying people so it's important that I don't die even once (making shell the clear choice). But since I am usually carrying people that means there is usually a lack of dps and increasing my dps is useful for quicker fights (making shards the better choice).

I tend to switch back and forth depending on how lazy I'm feeling / how important it is that I dont die ever - I'm just curious what others have found they prefer for ubers?
sns ofc 20% more dps. would be embarrassed if i couldn't run it. like u say though little margins for errors at our ehp... gotta be on ur toes and quick with oh sh1t button.

u need 10K more hp if you want to feel like with full shell runs.
01/30/2013 07:41 AMPosted by Aimless
sns ofc 20% more dps. would be embarrassed if i couldn't run it. like u say though little margins for errors at our ehp... gotta be on ur toes and quick with oh sh1t button.

ya see the problem is

1) im pretty sure shards only does 15%-ish for me cause my ms is a bit higher
2) i like to be lazy, especially on ubers because theyre long, boring and unrewarding lol.
You can be lazy in the other two fights and stacking xD just one fight needs ur attention.
I use Shell. And Safe passage. Nothing to be embarrassed about really.
slow time+timewarp is a much better choice than teleport tho
I personally prefer Crystal Shell for MP9-10, since it's more important that I don't die in the Maghda/Leoric fight. I try to make up for any damage loss by using both Time Warp and Bone Chill, since both are good group damage buffs. Groups I play tend to prefer maximizing group damage debuffs, since effective uber runs go a lot quicker with them (Bone Chill+Time Warp+Overawe+The Flesh is Weak).
01/30/2013 07:56 AMPosted by yems
slow time+timewarp is a much better choice than teleport tho

better dps dangerous if fly stack. I dont care for it unless another cm is there so mag cant stack flies in bubble so much.
@Aimless: Perhaps different style. I know both SteelPhantom and I prefer to use Time Warp in M10. We then both use Crystal Shell to mitigate the chance of flies killing you. Generally speaking Time Warp as a group damage debuff is a lot better for overall group damage than Shards, unless you're playing with an abysmally weak group.
You don't need to solo Ubers to get yoru DPS numbers. Solo non-Uber Ghom on MP10, and that will be accurate enough.

However, it's all for naught if you are (admittedly) lazy and carrying three other people, I would stick with Shell and sacrifice the 20% DPS bonus in your shoes.
@Aimless: Perhaps different style. Both SteelPhantom and I both prefer to use Slow Time (Time Warp) and use Crystal Shell to mitigate the chance of flies killing you. Generally time Warp as a group damage debuff is a lot better for group damage than running Shards (unless you're playing with an abysmally weak group).

yeah when ive ran with kiza and other cm we both use time warp and full sns. but it;'s too dangerous when i solo carrying like 1-2 cos flies can stack and hit you all at once. then you're screwed. gotta restart. Not so with tp. TP wormhole also makes initial stacking faster.
@Aimless: Perhaps different style. Both SteelPhantom and I both prefer to use Slow Time (Time Warp) and use Crystal Shell to mitigate the chance of flies killing you. Generally time Warp as a group damage debuff is a lot better for group damage than running Shards (unless you're playing with an abysmally weak group).

Different style, and something else your group needs to be wary of...

I agree with Aimless, and I dropped Slow Time a while back and never picked it up after, after many deaths by unsuspecting party members from flies stacking.
@aimless did you upgrade your chantodo will?
I tested couple of ubers run and regular runs before.

Shards only gives me like less than 10% dps boost in ubers and regular runs..
01/30/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Phal
easons I use shell: With shell I can run face-first into magdas bugs / stand on arcane axis for several seconds, making magda/sk fight incredibly easy where as shards will require me to be a bit more attentive during that fight haha.

with your armor and AR, you should easily be able to face stand arcane/walk/bee. I have 5010armor/880AR and seem to be fine. Obviously, I can't survive two arcane beams and bee.

May be somehow try to increase you AR to 800. then you should be fine. But I would use shard no matter what.

SNS with timewarp is what I have been using lately.
ya im still having issues with maghda / sk when running sns... even at 750 ar, 37k hp, and 5000 armor (i have AR 8ias/8cc taskers for ubers) i get DOMINATED by the bugs if i dont have enough ww's up proccing loh (which is high at 1550)

i suppose i could just use tele and take my time, but doesnt that defeat the purpose? I can solo the other two with prismatic armor and mw/electrify in about 5 minutes each, and take down maghda and sk in about 8-10 minutes just straight tank mode - only running away from sk's walk and multiple arcane.

Im just not seeing the reward of using sns on mp10 ubers (less time through higher dps) worth the risk (increase my chance of death, minimize room for error, wasting time restacking, or even possibly wasting a machine)
@Aimless,Drayven: If that works for you guys, more power to you. We rarely have deaths, except if it's a carry and then the carries go down. And with Crystal Shell, I'm pretty sure we can take two hits from the bugs. And I should note, we typically only have one CM/WW wizard at a time for our ubers runs. Although we do get perfect lockdown if Steel and I both play SNS, it's just too hard to pass up one of us running a Conviction Monk.
wait speaking of wands....how are you dying at 3? they dont even break at 3 with my 3 gear. I'll show u this evening. maybe pings once again..

(just dont tell nobody i got innas)

yeah new wand toy so i can do the whole mempo thing someday like phal
01/30/2013 08:21 AMPosted by TekkZero
@Aimless,Drayven: If that works for you guys, more power to you. We rarely have deaths, except if it's a carry and then the carries go down. And with Crystal Shell, I'm pretty sure we can take two hits from the bugs. And I should note, we typically only have one CM/WW wizard at a time for our ubers runs. Although we do get perfect lockdown if Steel and I both play SNS, it's just too hard to pass up one of us running a Conviction Monk.

the difference is you have one another there to bail u out. start soling them I mean really like carrying on noob mp10 who cant revive u. you wont use bubble for long. Nothing worse than magda at 1/4 hp and you got to restart.
@Aimless: Absolutely! That's probably why you prefer Teleport. But I'm not a fan of soloing ubers for carries, since it's just a prolonged slog-fest. It's much faster and consistent with at least two experienced people, especially if they synergize together so well like Monk+Wizard.