PvP Mage CM build

General Discussion
It's just been kinda bugging me how i've seen people talking about CM's not being good in PvP, so I wanted to share the CM build i've been using in PvP that has been working really well for me. I've managed to go quite well with this even against other mages with double my DPS and paragon level, even when they have tried to use the same build. This may not work for you, but it works great for me (especially against Demon Hunters), though of course if someone has the gear then you still don't stand a chance.

Here is the build in the skill calculator: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VYXdTS!gZh!Ycbaac

Skills
Left Click: Energy Twister (Wicked Wind)
This does great damage and earns you a lot of crits to reset your cooldowns. If your crit chance or APoC is low, you might like to change to Shock Pulse (Living Lightning) which doesn't need the enemy to stay as still, and doesn't cost tons of arcane power like Wicked Wind.

Right Click (or hotkey): Frost Nova (Bone Chill)
I don't see any other runes being helpful in PvP besides maybe Cold Snap.

Right Click (or hotkey): Wave of Force (Impactful Wave)
This is the skill i use when i first enter combat, it has good range and gives me a rather nice early stun to get a couple Wicked Winds up, and my first freeze. It is also a good getaway if you feel the need to run

Hotkey: Diamond Skin (Mirror Skin)
You might be tempted to swap out Mirror Skin for Crystal Shell, but I could not more highly recommend that you DO NOT. 100% damage reflection is incredible against players, I can understand why many would not look at this twice in PvE but unlike monsters, other players generally have more damage output then survivability -- you can 1 hit those Demon Hunters! Without Attacking!

4 Hotkey: Magic Weapon (Blood Magic)
To be honest I only kept this in my build since I used it in my PvE build, but it still gives good damage and can heal you well if you have the damage, you CAN actually hold people fairly long with this build with the gear so it can build up well, you can outheal the effects of a rend. Change the rune if lifesteal isn't so hot for you.

3 or 4 Hotkey: Storm Armour (Reactive Armour)
There is actually a lot of good armours you can use, the most common i've seen and used is Reactive armour. I often get kills with this without even realizing someone was around :) If your enemy's are all melee though you can swap this out for Frozen Armour (Jagged Ice) which only effects melee attacks, but deals much more damage. If you need more survivability then use Energy armour, Prismatic armour is always a good choice if you have high resistances, which as you can see in my gear I do, but if you are dieing in very few shots then you might like to use Force Armour which work best with lower HP and various forms of life regeneration.

3 Hotkey (if you don't use Magic Weapon): Mirror Image (Duplicates)
If you don't use Magic Weapon then put this in the 3d spot and move your armour to the 4th (it just makes it easier on your hands) I used this a lot in my earliest mage builds and it is fairly nice, it draws a bit of heat away from you, though isn't a very effective deception against other players sadly.

Passives
Critical Mass: It's a CM build.
Blur: For decent damage reduction, use Glass Cannon if damage reduction is unnecessary.
Unstable Anomaly: The new version of this is great for PvP, it has saved my life many times and even earned me a lot of kills :) Ignoring that Critical Mass is required for this to actually be a CM build, this skill has to be my favourite for PvP (The new version of it anyway)

This is my character: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rohan-6663/hero/13131781
As you can see I am not geared too great, so this will probably work even better for most of you (I do use a Crit Chance storm crow for PvP instead of this socketed one though). I personally think I have done well with resistances, which may be a good thing to think about in PvP.
Not a bad layout. Would work for many situations.
does cm cool down unstable anomaly?
01/29/2013 11:43 PMPosted by haushinka
does cm cool down unstable anomaly?
Nope, would be awesome if it did though.
01/29/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Ricstar

Yea, never really paid attention myself, but even if it doesn't the effect still triggers quite often in my games, and the knockback it gives is like a passive Wave of Force :)

I was using parts of this quite effectively, but when I started looking at the thorns-like damage on many of the armours, I realized that a pure reflect instead of something that damages based on your own power would be really great (The monster affix version is even being nerfed afterall). When I looked around and found it on diamond skin I think I hit gold, if someone has high damage they hurt themselves more on you, and if they have lower, or lower it to stay alive, then you will have an easier time staying alive yourself.
01/30/2013 01:32 AMPosted by Rohan

Yea, never really paid attention myself, but even if it doesn't the effect still triggers quite often in my games, and the knockback it gives is like a passive Wave of Force :)

I was using parts of this quite effectively, but when I started looking at the thorns-like damage on many of the armours, I realized that a pure reflect instead of something that damages based on your own power would be really great (The monster affix version is even being nerfed afterall). When I looked around and found it on diamond skin I think I hit gold, if someone has high damage they hurt themselves more on you, and if they have lower, or lower it to stay alive, then you will have an easier time staying alive yourself.

isnt reflect the damage taken ie after your mitigation? and wouldn't that mean it goes through another round of mitigation (attacker's?) rendering it useless?
01/30/2013 08:12 AMPosted by haushinka
isnt reflect the damage taken ie after your mitigation? and wouldn't that mean it goes through another round of mitigation (attacker's?) rendering it useless?

I don't know if this is the case, but it definitely is not useless, multiple people with better gear and paragon level then me have 1-2 shotted themselves when I throw up Diamond Skin (usually just Mages and Demon Hunters that die that fast on it, haven't played against any WD's under para 100) But the damage it reflects seems quite substantial, unless they are an incredibly defensive player with low attack I guess.
If you're looking at my character link in the first post, note that when i posted this thread he only had 76k dps. (closer to this: http://d3up.com/b/254818)
Thanks for sharing, Rohan. However, the tooltip on Mirror Skin says:

Reflects 100% of damage ABSORBED back at the attacker.

Diamond skin tooltip says "absorbing up to 10853 damage from incoming attacks."

Doesn't this mean that you can only reflect up to 10853 damage back at the attacker?

Anyway I'll try out your build in PVP and see how well I do.
Reflects 100% of damage ABSORBED back at the attacker.
Diamond skin tooltip says "absorbing up to 10853 damage from incoming attacks."
Doesn't this mean that you can only reflect up to 10853 damage back at the attacker?

To be honest I'm really unsure of that, but I didn't make this build by reading the tooltips, I made it by testing what worked best for me in practice.

Just another question that i'm curious about after reading that question, what happens if one single attack deals more damage then the maximum amount that the shield can absorb, then does the extra damage then bypass back onto your HP?