mitigation help

Wizard
I keep seeing everyone using the word mitigations when there talking about defensive stats... Well I have no idea what that is.... Can someone explain it to me and what it does.....
Take a look at my profile and let me know how to get better mitigation, whatever that means but everyone says its important... some want to know what i need to upgrade to get better mitagation
Mitigation is short for damage mitigation, which means reducing incoming damage. This involves armor and resists. The more of each the higher your mitigation, so the less damage you take from a given hit from a mob. To raise mitigation, you need to increase your armor and/or resists.

For example, Mag's swarm attack does around 280k base damage on MP10. If you have 90% damage mitigation you only take 10% of that damage, or about 28k per hit. If you only have 80% mitigation you take 20% of the damage, so you take 56k per hit.
oh ok.. how do you tell what % you have
mouse over your armor or AR
The in game % are based on lvl 60 mobs, so your actual mitigation in Inferno will be less. You can calculate the values yourself or plug your stats into a calculator or spreadsheet.
01/30/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Comrade
mouse over your armor or AR

...that gives damage reduction for either armor or ar, it doesn't display total DR based on both

Calc it based on armor ar or punch it into a calc. Aimless has a link to a DR calc, as do others. Surprised one hasn't been posted here yet. I would if I had it saved somewhere
Quick example for you Ghostnasty.

You get hit for 100,000 damage. Firstly it gets reduced by your Armor mitigation %. So say for example you have 70% armor Mitigation.

100,000 - 70% = 30,000 damage.

Then this leftover damage gets reduced by your Resist %, The Resist % used is from whatever damage type you take eg: Fire resist or Melee(Physical Resist).

Say in this case its a melee hit, so the leftover 30,000 damage is reduced by your Physical resist of 60%(Example only).

30,000 - 60% = 12,000 damage.

So from a 100,000 hit with 70% Armor and 60% Physical Resist you would take a total of 12,000 damage

Hope that helps!~
and the part about elites reduction, melee reduction etc =)

we could go on... kieble's is about right (dodge) etc
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/47182-dps-and-ehp-spreadsheet/

If you want a link to a spreadsheet. It's what I use, but I wrote it. There are online sites that are a bit faster to use, that will read directly from your battle.net character.
I don't play archon so I'm no expert (not that I'm a CM expert like some of the others either), but my understanding is that the Tal Rasha's set bonus does not actually work. Essentially, your 2 and 3 set bonus don't actually help.
Example of 70% Armor and 60% Resist

1- ((1-0.70)*(1-0.60))
1- (0.3*0.4)
1- 0.12
= 0.88

So 70% Armor and 60% Resist would equal 88% Mitigation total.
01/30/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Booby
Tal Rasha's set bonus does not actually work

They should still be working.

Just not in the way most ppl expect or hope or even in a worthwhile way.
Tal Rasha's set bonus does not actually work

They should still be working.

Just not in the way most ppl expect or hope or even in a worthwhile way.

Really? We all know the 6/6/6 bonus of Trium works, but I was under the impression that the bonuses on the set didn't work at all. Or do they literally just add damage to their respective element?
01/30/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Booby
they literally just add damage to their respective element?

=)
01/30/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Comrade
they literally just add damage to their respective element?

=)

gross. no wonder everyone wants the set bonuses changed
It's mainly important for reflect damages otherwise we'd focus on HP and get whatever base armor and our int allows and maybe sprinkle a little more in to make EHP which is how much of a hit you can take.

Cos what happens is more damage you do more gets reflected so CM's dont want thier shell broken and eat into HP and want dismal amounts of LOH avail to cover what does get to our HP, anchons want to live long enough with their LS to burn down a pack and no amount of HP will allow that. So we get mitigation. Kinda of a rip off but they want stats to mean something.
damn thanks alot ton of help ... rare for everyone to not flame and actually give some help... appreciate it
01/31/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Ghostnasty
damn thanks alot ton of help ... rare for everyone to not flame and actually give some help... appreciate it

this is the Wizard forum....we don't hate we elevate...sarcasm is another matter...