Would D2 be enjoyable (never played) after playing D3?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
If you take away the difference in graphics and D3's user friendly mechanic changes... D2 wins hands down.

This question is kinda like asking if the Champion Boxer today could beat Ali in his prime.

The people who HAVE played and got addicted to Diablo 2: LoD aren't hating D3 because of graphics or quality of life changes....

It's because D3's loot depth, diversity and itemization are absolutely terrible when compared to it's predecessor. Yeah, D2 had some terrible items but the ratio of terrible to good was much better than now. 99.9% of the rares and legendary gear that I pick up are vendor trash.

Not to mention the goal with D3 for "item hunting" is elite packs. Boss runs were way more fun imo but Bosses are worthless to farm now. This change would have been fine but the change to loot was the worst imo.
Id say you buy it , cause its probably one of the best computer games ever made , it has lots of depth , you have to think a lot on your character , reroll many times , you get more diversity of items , theorycrafting , etc .
Personally for me i cant play it any longer , back in the day i spent thousands of hours on D2 and D2:LOD , but now that im used to D3 , i cant log into d2 for more than a few minutes cause the speed , and the combat fluidity are not there . Its a masterpiece , but sure it was more enjoyable back in the day when i was in highschool , now its kinda dated. Its like going from GTA 5 whenever it comes out to GTA2 , or going from the latest 007 to Goldeneye.
Obviously LOTS of discussion about the merits of D3 vs D2 and the general consensus seems to be that D3 doesn't compare to it's predecessor...

So, as a person like myself who is new to the Diablo franchise and has ONLY played Diablo 3, would I enjoy the graphics, gameplay, etc, in D2?

It's only $10 so not exactly a big gamble. I'm just not sure I want to end my apparent blissful ignorance. :)

If you get over the graphics part then yes, definitively.
01/31/2013 05:19 AMPosted by Mart
If you get over the graphics part then yes, definitively.

Pretty much this. The highest resolution you can have is 800x600, so for a lot of people that is going to be a deal breaker. Otherwise, the game is great.

The primary reason I, and several of my friends, quit D2 was that Blizzard added a harsh game creation limit. They said it was to stop botting... it didn't!
Play diablo 2. It is legend
01/31/2013 12:35 AMPosted by SeeknDestroy
Diablo2 was created by a team of developers who had passion for games they were making, Diablo3 was created primarly to make big money, not to please the player base.

What's funny is, I'm sure there are sites that sell items even with real money being used on the auction house. I'm sure they sell for cheaper than the actual game though.
Call me crazy but, as much as I enjoyed Diablo 2, it hasn't aged too well. Torchlight 2 is probably a better deal at 20$.

Unless you really want to stay within the mythos, if so, go right ahead and play D2.

^ This.

Diablo 2 was a lot of fun. But I'm sure it's still botted to all hell which takes away the fun.

Luckily D2 has a single-player offline mode and the ability to make your own multiplayer games outside of Battle.net
I would love to get my hand on a new copy of Diablo I. I don't know what happened to my copy!
No.
You will get "immersed" in it. Go buy the whole thing, LOD included. Should come with a guide on how to roll a char.

And yea, absolutely, you will enjoy it. In your D2 folder there is a little thing to run, its blue, that basically does a bench test for optimal settings on your comp. Run it. And, when you start it. Right click, run as admin and in compatibility mode.

Post back with probs, sometimes windows 7 is a little finicky, but it will run it.

It is a little less sterilized. You'll see, Ashera is dressed scantily clad. I still have my amazon, I open up an run around for a minute once and a while so bliz won't delete her.

After 90 days, your character is deleted without use.

Would love if D3 owners could have like a 5 char limit that will never get deleted.

gg

Obviously LOTS of discussion about the merits of D3 vs D2 and the general consensus seems to be that D3 doesn't compare to it's predecessor...

So, as a person like myself who is new to the Diablo franchise and has ONLY played Diablo 3, would I enjoy the graphics, gameplay, etc, in D2?

It's only $10 so not exactly a big gamble. I'm just not sure I want to end my apparent blissful ignorance. :)
WOULD D2 BE ENJOYABLE (NEVER PLAYED) AFTER PLAYING D3?

Even if D2 is still the game I've played the most ever, spending thousands of hours during several years, I would say no...

In fact, I re-installed it a few months ago, being a bit lazy with D3, but it's simply too old now a day.

However, it will stay a "legendary" game for ages !
If you take away the difference in graphics and D3's user friendly mechanic changes... D2 wins hands down.

This question is kinda like asking if the Champion Boxer today could beat Ali in his prime.

If you take away Ali's left arm and rope-a-dope, the Champion Boxer wins hands down.
play d2, it has the most important feature that d3 doesnt have...less whinners. Also, the current patch is ok, so you will never know how the evolution of patches worked...unless you download all the previous ones...
Diablo II is worth playing through at least once. The story, the immersion, the music -- all make it a worthwhile experience, and the gameplay isn't so bad that it's painful to make it through a few times. But whether you'll enjoy playing it more than that will depend on what you find fun.

In Diablo II, it's basically more fun to design a build than it is to play it. Playing is pretty boring -- but effortless and monotonous enough that it's something that can be done in the background, while thinking of something else. It wasn't an engaging activity, but one that passes the time, slowly, randomly, working towards a pre-determined goal.
01/30/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Sorsha
For 10 bucks witch is oh like 2 drinks at starbucks its worth it.

This is why everyone is broke in America. Because they relate everything to the currency of Starbucks drinks. lol.
One thing I loved and still enjoy about D2 is the ability to mod the offline single player version of the game. There was a huge community of talented people that would help in creating mods (or help you to learn this yourself) so you could play the game in a way that best suited your style. If you want an unique item in D2 with different attributes or for the the drop rate to change, just make a mod that allows this.

So if you have any scripting skills and enjoy doing mods and haven’t tried D2 yet, you should give it a go.
If diablo 2 was still populated like "back in the old days" yes it would be very much worth it and would be much better than diablo 3 these kids at blizzard got a little bit too much wow in them and forgot their roots.
Diablo 2 is a wonderful game. In many ways it is better than Diablo 3, but in some ways it is worse. The combat and visuals may not be as exciting, however, I would argue that the stellar music and deeper character progression/itemization more than make up for it.

There's still a large community of online players. I say go for it; try to appreciate the game as it is, separate from Diablo 3.

P.S. - I recommend playing in the dark with stereo headphones. The thing I miss most about D2 is its genuinely creepy atmosphere.