Need Mainhand weapon advice

Barbarian
Hello!

So I'm looking to get a new main hand, preferably and echoing fury. I'm wondering what are the most important stats to go for? I have about 200 mil budget

Essentially I was looking at two types of echoing furies. One with 100-150 str, 1000K+ dps, 50+ chd, open socket.

The other EF's I were looking at were ones with 250+str, 1200K+ dps, open socket

I suppose my question about main hand weapons is: Are higher dps weapons more important then getting a lower dps weapon crit hit dmg?
That all depends on your other gear... obviously if you have crap crit chance... getting more crit damage wont boost your dps all that much. Easiest thing to do would be to go to d3rawr.com/d and compare the weapons you are looking at and see what effects it has.

I would say the +aps is a pretty important stat for WW barbs as well.
Thanks, I will check into this. I have a good amount of crit hit dmg and decent CC.

here is a link to my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FortySixAnd2-1894/

I'll try this d3rawr
IMO for a 200m budget, you'd be better off getting an EF OH and getting a big mace MH. Here is my opinion on the matter: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593621248#3
Considering your running 23 ias gear with a ww build... I would say you need to get an EF with at least + .24 aps which will allow you to hit the 2.5 breakpoint on one of your hands. If you get at least .24, you will be swinging with 2.5102 / 2.3472 aps buffed.

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-6h52y

here is the link for your build. Just scroll down to the main hand and type in the stats to compare. tDPS is something to look closely at to see your damage dealt with ww builds.
Thanks guys for the input, and thanks ofgortens for doing work for me :) I took off my OH to sell on AH so thats why its not in profile link. But it seems no matter what, an EF with at least .24 aps is required.

PhatPho, I've read some of your posts, very informative! Reading through the post you linked and looking at your gear and what you suggested about weapon being a budget choice makes sense. However I have invested a decent amount in the weapons I currently have, I'd like to move my sickle to my offhand and sell my current OH (which is a 800 dps, 147 str, ls, 89cd, + open socket axe)

There is a huge price drop for EF's as OH's. However looking at Rare mace / axe with 100+ str, 40+ chd, open socket and with the damage range of ~571 - 1092 (1081 dps +) I'm still looking at ~180 million gold. I have seen Ef's with that dps range with 250 str + open socket (no chd or ls) go for about that.
my mh cost 100m. I would never buy a weapon on buyout unless it was a fair price. When shopping in this price range you will need to use bids. Otherwise, prepare to overpay. My OH was 20m, which is almost impossible to find nowadays. Use these 2 weapons as a comparison if you find an EF you think is appropriate for MH. I'm pretty sure you will have a hard time finding an EF under 150m that will outperform this combo.

I searched the AH and there is an EF on the first page with a 150m bid ending in 3 hrs. 1277dps, 162str, socket, .24aps. This paired with a 650dps sword, socket, 280str, 97crit comes close to my fully buffed tdps. I'm guessing this will go closer to 200m.

Before you buy any weapon use d3rawr. Sacrificing damage range on the MH rarely makes sense. The reason EFs often make poor MHs is that it costs too damn much to get the damage range AND socket.

If you decide to MH an EF, it will be a tremendous waste of potential APS to use a 1.3 aps weapon on the OH. If you are going to have the hassle of fear procs you want to at least maximize your APS by getting a 1.4 OH or high IAS dagger. This will let you hit higher OH breakpoints with the same IAS to hit 2.5 on the MH.
I searched the AH and there is an EF on the first page with a 150m bid ending in 3 hrs. 1277dps, 162str, socket, .24aps. This paired with a 650dps sword, socket, 280str, 97crit comes close to my fully buffed tdps. I'm guessing this will go closer to 200m.

This EF is now at 250m with 20mins to go. This is terrible value. For half the cost, I do more tdps with my weapons.
PhatPho, I hear lots of people talk about having like 9-12 life steal of high mp's; what is the deal on this, you don't have any life steal on weapons.
Offhanding a butcher's sickle with a MH EF is a terrible setup. The only benefit to the MH EF setup is being able to hit an extra BP with your offhand... but that requires an IAS sword or dagger. If you're just going to use a slow offhand with a MH EF you might as well just save the money and go with a rare MH and EF OH.
02/01/2013 11:43 PMPosted by bigtexasdan
Offhanding a butcher's sickle with a MH EF is a terrible setup. The only benefit to the MH EF setup is being able to hit an extra BP with your offhand... but that requires an IAS sword or dagger. If you're just going to use a slow offhand with a MH EF you might as well just save the money and go with a rare MH and EF OH.

edit:
PhatPho, I hear lots of people talk about having like 9-12 life steal of high mp's; what is the deal on this, you don't have any life steal on weapons.

How much LS you need depends on how much tdps you do. If your tdps is lower, 3 slots of LS (or 2 + bloodthirst) is what you need. If your tdps is pretty decent (1m+) then you can run 6%, which you can do with just a belt and the passive.
Got my new MH around 150m yesterday. Maybe you can spend similar on the MH and 30m on EF OH with LS.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Coolvan31-6976/hero/30387378
Awesome, I'll look into this!
Coolvan you bought a MH with no str on it?
@46n2,

I dont have much gold. Trying to maximized dps while on budget. MH with STR are just out of my league. However, this MH did bump my dps by a big margin, was farming MP4, now comfortable at MP5. Will test out MP6 later.

From Uber thread, dont look down on dex. Having about 500 dex nets 20% dodge. That by itself is not much, but with WOTB up, it is really something. Well, it just happen to be there in my MH tho.
His damage range is mind-blowing. It's probably better than my MH, especially with the vit. He has 10% more weapon damage which is worth more than my 118str.
your argument on using echo on MH is very subjective and is biased based on your personal preference. firstly you seem to push your weapon setup as best value based on overall effectiveness of both weapons combined. I value your weapons combined to be around 250-350m, your crit echo is prolly equivalent to a 1.2k socket echo, and your mace equivalent to 700+ dps dagger with 100+str + vit and 80+cd.
So with that example it is probable easier for the average barb to find a 700dps dagger then a 800+cd echo with your aps and cd stats. same applies with MH.

You say the optimal dmg range on MH is 600-1200, in an ideal world yes we would all love to have those stats, but if you do some research on echo fury's, you will realise that there are VERY few that have that kind of dmg range, most would be 1350 dps + with low aps mod. Your optimal recommendation basically means 97% of echo's are bad on the MH period. This is where i disagree with you, but dont get me wrong i've used both combinations and a 1200+ top end mace is superior, but only with high CD and AIS through gear :)

So to all you barbs out there, there is not BEST combo, if you spend 300m on you weapons but your gear sux, the weapons aint gonna be very effective :)
your argument on using echo on MH is very subjective and is biased based on your personal preference. firstly you seem to push your weapon setup as best value based on overall effectiveness of both weapons combined. I value your weapons combined to be around 250-350m, your crit echo is prolly equivalent to a 1.2k socket echo, and your mace equivalent to 700+ dps dagger with 100+str + vit and 80+cd.
So with that example it is probable easier for the average barb to find a 700dps dagger then a 800+cd echo with your aps and cd stats. same applies with MH.

You say the optimal dmg range on MH is 600-1200, in an ideal world yes we would all love to have those stats, but if you do some research on echo fury's, you will realise that there are VERY few that have that kind of dmg range, most would be 1350 dps + with low aps mod. Your optimal recommendation basically means 97% of echo's are bad on the MH period. This is where i disagree with you, but dont get me wrong i've used both combinations and a 1200+ top end mace is superior, but only with high CD and AIS through gear :)

So to all you barbs out there, there is not BEST combo, if you spend 300m on you weapons but your gear sux, the weapons aint gonna be very effective :)

I spent 100m on my MH and 20m on my OH. If you want to buy them for 300m, add me. The point I'm making in this thread and every other thread asking about weapons is that there is an expensive way to do it and a more cost effective way. Both will get you the same result.

WRT MH EFs, that is exactly the problem. To get as high damage range as possible, you have to overpay just for a str/socket. Trying to get high damage range AND crit on top of that is really really overpriced. Is it possible to get the same performance as my combo? Of course but it will cost you more than double, maybe even triple the gold.

I never said it was easy to find good weapons. If people want to overpay because they are impatient, that's up to them. I approach gearing based on best cost for performance. This is just my opinion supported by d3rawr tdps and AH pricing. Gear as you please. Different strokes for different folks.
You basically just admitted that you got lucky to be able to snipe your weapons at the price you paid, but using that to put a value on those weapons is misleading. You cant use that as a basis to compare it with market value(what most people pay) and say people are overpaying. All i'm saying is, be more realistic with your advise,
You do more "tdps" then other people just means you have a better understanding of class mechanics and how to gear your barb efficiently period, recommending your gearing approach is fine but insinuating that others are overpaying is misleading.
how is comparing my weapons which were obtained on bid to the EF above obtained on bid unrealistic? How is it that people in my thread continue to find MHs like mine at similar prices?

I will agree EFs like mine are not as cheap as they used to be. CD EFs are available on buyout at 55m currently, and I haven't checked where they are at for bid only. LS EFs are actually still available for under 40m.