Does Anybody Here Play AH Free

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
I used the AH to get MF gear for my main, the DH. I also succumbed and got Nat's boots and a Litany of the Undead because I was impatient :/.

As soon as I realized that high MF actually helps, I quit the AH other than to sell stuff. Other than the pieces I've mentioned, I found everything else on all my characters. It's much more rewarding. I've got a ton of crap put together for my WD, Monk and Barb when they hit 60.
i tried staying ah free up until about 2 months ago. I was having a really hard time farming anything because i was floating at 40k dps and no good stats. unfortunately with the way itemization goes in d3 you really have no choice but to buy things off the ah. I'm sure most could probably to a3 mp0 with no ah gear if your hc, but with sc, you want to be able to hit those higher mp's.
All the equipment on my SC chars are 100% self found.
It took a while and I don't see much progress anymore.

It's hard enough to get a decent MF item which you need to get ... well .. good MF items.. lol.
02/01/2013 12:35 PMPosted by pcjunkie
I don't care if anybody uses the AH or not, 99.9999% of your drops are going to be crap regardless...that's just the way this game was made. Pretending to be better than those that do is just ridiculous.

I have never found a set item. 280 Hours played.
Lately I have wanted to try multiplayer but I play like this:
AH Free
Clearer
It seems like everyone plays like this:
AH Addiction
Runner
Treasure Goblin Player

A treasure goblin player is how I describe players who just leave a trail of items behind because they never pick anything up or just drop 2 seconds after picking something up. Does anybody play for fun or does everyone just treat the game like a business instead of a game.

I get all my items from drops or by crafting stuff using materials I salvaged.

It is not a big deal really :/

I do use the AH to sell stuff and to buy dyes. Well, I used to use the AH to buy dyes while leveling up because some dyes are not available pre level 60.
02/01/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Maktu
This kind of thinking only shows that you really don't understand the mechanics of an ARPG.... I'm sorry, but it is the true, if you find tediously grinding items, then go play another game different for an ARPG. Oh well, you are actually playing one, my bad...

The tedium is introduced by the sheer number of rare items that drop, most of which will be trash.

So you plow through a big pack of monsters. 4 rares drop in different places. So you pick them up. Click click click click.

You plow through another pack. 3 rares. Click click click.

Rinse and repeat until you've exhausted your tiny character stash. Trip to town. ID the items. Click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second-click-1second.

Determine viability of items. Hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second-hover-1second.

Salvage all but one. Click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter-click-enter.

Run to stash to drop off one item that might sell for 100k.

There is no action involved in any of that. If anything the people who get the most action are the ones that skip all the crap items and spend their time plowing through mob after mob after mob of 20 or 30 monsters. I don't find grinding the monsters for the items to be tedious at all...but the steps involved in dealing with each item combined with the massive number of them you find creates the tedium.

I'd much prefer if I found a full inventory of rares after 10 mp5 games, each of which having much higher odds of rolling better, rather than the 100 rares I can pull from an A3 run now where maybe two of them will net me a few hundred thousand gold.
Lately I have wanted to try multiplayer but I play like this:
AH Free
Clearer
It seems like everyone plays like this:
AH Addiction
Runner
Treasure Goblin Player

A treasure goblin player is how I describe players who just leave a trail of items behind because they never pick anything up or just drop 2 seconds after picking something up. Does anybody play for fun or does everyone just treat the game like a business instead of a game.
What a noob.....
I think i know where youre coming from OP... I dont think you should knock any ones style of play though... I do both, I run and sometimes i clear everything, the only items i feel like picking up are the level 63/legendaries/ and set items.. I have picked up a lot of my gear and some i have purchased through the AH..But the whining is overwhelming at times, i dont follow forum posts often, but every once in a while ill peak in n see what everyone is saying.. I enjoy the game either way...
All people care about is gold. You guys are like a bunch of greedy leprechauns. You guys won't even bother to collect anything because you want more gold and by god taking a few seconds to ID a few rares is unbearable when it takes 5 seconds away from getting more gold for the AH. You might actually get a good rare if you actually ID them .

"All these items have bad stats so I don't ID them". that is a piss poor argument. They don't have stats until you idea them and until you id them you don't know how good an item is. So take 5 seconds from gold farming, it just might yield something good.

Listen here, Chief.

You haven't played enough to tell other more seasoned D3 players how to play. In fact, you have no argument whatsoever. You think every player started off greedy or of that nature? No. As you can see from MULTIPLE posts in this lame noobie thread, pretty much everyone started off picking up everything, then salvaging everything, etc until it came to the point where there's absolutely no point in doing that. NONE.

You find is extremely puzzling because you haven't played the game yet. You haven't even finished Inferno let alone anything close to MP10. Until you do so keep you childish comments to yourself. Talking about something you have no clue about makes you look like a flaming idiot.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to tell some of us how to play. It's ridiculous and laughable.
Pfffft.

How about you actually make it to Inferno before judging how others play?
i used the GMAH but i do play for fun i love the gold grind and leveling out of all my friends who are left playing i can make about 500k gold an hour if i grind. Atm i have been leveling my lower toons to 60s.
So the OP would rather, in real life, work hard for 40 years and be happy with the measly sum he earns over his working lifetime rather than work hard for 20 and invest in stocks/property and be ten times as rich over the course of the next 20 years that pass...?

You mad bro?!!
haha on the upside he has a point, sometimes people get too caught up making $$ to enjoy the game itself (which is just repetitive farming anyway, not much fun tbh).
you don't have enough storage space to be a D3 hoarder.
Im a D3 hoarder. I pick up all the Legendary, rare, and magic items. I sell ring/amu/shield items with high MF on the AH.
As bad as the drops in this game are I do not see any way to not use the Ah and do well. You will just hit a place where you are dying and the same junk is dropping that do not help you at all.
It seems that the same people that complain about rares being useless are those who moan about not finding any legendary ever and about how they can't find upgrades.

There is a a pattern in this...

02/01/2013 03:14 PMPosted by FxAudio
What a noob.....

Nice SC2 account, mr diablo expert.
So the OP would rather, in real life, work hard for 40 years and be happy with the measly sum he earns over his working lifetime rather than work hard for 20 and invest in stocks/property and be ten times as rich over the course of the next 20 years that pass...?

You mad bro?!!
haha on the upside he has a point, sometimes people get too caught up making $$ to enjoy the game itself (which is just repetitive farming anyway, not much fun tbh).

Life and a game are two different things. Treating the game like a business is wrong. I would love to work hard for twenty years an be 10x richer than working 40 years for a measly amount. That is real life though. I would rather in the game work to progress than buy to win.
stoners aren't addicted to drugs, they are addicted to weed

/thread
That is not what this thread is about, and that is my mistake, but the analogy remains the same. People are addicted to the AH to the point where everything they do in the game seems pointless and unrewarding.
i login to play AH...
i like playing the AH