Account Bound Items. Why the Idea is BAD!

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 20 Next
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

:\
A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard.

Having marq gems BoA is NOT a resource sink its punitive. Merely the act of turning 729 gems for +58 into 2187 gems for +62 will have an extremely long term effect as a resource sink due to the fact that it'll take YEARS for the vast majority of players to acheive this tier of gem. Having them becoming BoA just removes so much of the spirit of Diablo as to be highly depressing.

The crafting I can live with, because it is extremely close to 'gambling'. That is a reasonable type of gameplay because the end result is random. Marq gems on the other hand are a 100% known result. There is no sense of gambling, you are merely 'paying' 100m that is forever gone for almost no value returned (or even a chance of high returns as in the new crafting).

Overall its just a bad idea, and wont serve has a gem sink in any way. You'll see 5000, maybe 10,000 emeralds made for weapons on the super-elite players. After that marq gems will stop being made and we'll be worse off than we are now. Make them tradeable, give them a reason to be made (liquidating extra demonic essense?) and watch the free market work.
02/05/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Grimiku
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard.

You talk about the Marquise gems being a resource sink. But the fact that you make it BOA stops nearly everyone from crafting it. So in actual fact it won't be a resource sink it all.

For every Marquise gem crafted its like throwing $20 down the drain. At least with the current non BOA gear you can sell/buy as you wish.

You are NOT listening to your Community at all.
You talk about the Marquise gems being a resource sink. But the fact that you make it BOA stops nearly everyone from crafting it. So in actual fact it won't be a resource sink it all.

For every Marquise gem crafted its like throwing $20 down the drain. At least with the current non BOA gear you can sell/buy as you wish.

You are NOT listening to your Community at all.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708952131

Just look at your own PTR feedback. Nearly 6 pages of people against BoA gems, with only a couple of 'neutral' and zero for the idea.

We Like gambling (1.07 crafting)
We Hate BoA gems

I strenously urge Blizzard to reconsider BoA Marq Gems.
One of the great things about crafting is the multiple functions it can serve. A healthy resource sink at this point in the game’s life cycle seems like it would be a good thing, and the 1.0.7 bind-on-account crafting recipes and gems should help in that regard. The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), and the Marquise gem of course will be the highest tier available in the game.

As time goes on and the game changes, it is likely crafting will as well. We feel that bind-on-account items are the right thing for the game at this moment, but of course we want to keep adapting with the community and the economy as they evolve. In the meantime, and as always, it would be great to hear your ideas about crafting, and we encourage you to keep talking about what you'd like to see out of the system. :)

A resource sink isn't a resource sink unless players find it appealing to spend their resources. I can almost guarantee that the absurd gold costs and EXTREMELY low chance of payout on top of the fact that you can't ever see a gold for gold return on your investment, will absolutely cripple any chance these new systems have at succeeding.

No one is going to spend all their gold at a chance of a decent item when they can spend the same amount for a guaranteed upgrade. It's just not going to happen. In order for this system to work, players have to have a MUCH better chance at crafting a strong item or a much lower gold cost when crafting items that aren't likely to be good.
i'm so happy we're finally moving on and really thinking creatively about these types of things. I've been trying for some time to get the blue's to comment on these pvp ideas too:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6573699980?page=1

Creative ... you may love or hate them but, please open the door for discusion. And if you like, request a sticky
Though I agree with account bound items.. how can crafting really be considered a great thing now and come 1.07?

We aren't actually "crafting" gear unless we are crafting the item the way we wanted it crafted.

If I'm going to "craft" or "build" a car. I'm going to make sure the car obviously "runs" (primary stat). I'm going to also make sure it has all the features I want and that they are fully functioning.

I'm not going to build a car that beyond running, I have no idea what it will have. Maybe it will have A/C, maybe it won't. Maybe it's a standard.. maybe not. Maybe the driver seat is good but the rest are too small to even fit a small child making it useless for everybody. Perhaps it's missing a couple of tires (hey it runs, but we didn't say it would get you anywhere)

I just won't know what this car will have until it rolls off the lot.

You get the point.. if were going to craft, we should be able to craft the stats we want on the items.

Something that should be right for the game at this moment....fixing the horrible itemization and broken RNG loot drop calculations. There are numerous, informative posts about both of these issues. Fix it.
02/05/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Grimiku
The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for)

it better be.

1.07 is all about 2 things: new crafting and duel PvP.

The duel PvP is doomed to be suck (if not, you wouldn't work on team "Deathmatch").

That leave the new crafting. If that come out suck and no one doing it. The whole patch is nothing left and we'll rage quit. I don't think you can keep players around for the expansion. Blizz will fire the whole dev team and let the game rot.
I would link you to my very first forum post. It's somewhat old now, but in short, I came up with 2-3 suggestions for improving crafting:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6678688226#1

To summarize:

1. Come up with a way to level the Artisans beyond level 10, similar to Paragon levels, since getting to level 10 artisans is such an easy achievement and means very little to play beyond level 60 (the bulk of the gameplay for most players, in other words). Leveling Artisans should come with benefits, such as higher rolls on mods, and perhaps the ability to specialize your artisan in producing certain mods on items.

2. Allow for more item tweaking/customization, and the ability to control what comes out of a craft I miss the ability to rename/personalize items, socket them, and control at least some of the mods that would appear on items, since that lent a nice ability to lavish special attention on special items, and differentiated crafting and quest rewards from mere gambling; it also enabled players to perfect an item that was almost perfect but was missing only one crucial mod. Currently the AH is the only place to realistically get one's hands on the very best items all with perfect mods, and since everyone wants those, the price skyrockets to impractical levels for players like me who don't spend our entire lives on this game.

3. Give crafting some more eye-candy. How about some animations and pretty lights when you craft or combine gems? Create a more immersive and rewarding experience for crafts. And give the Artisans some more lines -- Haedrig and Shen should have more "gossip" -- they were actual characters you got to know over the first playthroughs of the campaigns, but after that, you never talk to them or hear from them again. So how about a little less gab from the merchants and random townsfolk, and more dialogue for the artisans? How about responses for when you use them to craft things for you?

What you're missing is the core problem in crafting. To craft, a player must sacrifice gold in both salvaging items that could have at least been vendored for gold, as well as gold that could have been gained in any other manner, for an item that has no better guarantee of being good than any dropped item that a player could gain from nearly any fight. It's simply ludicrous to pretend that any change to crafting without strictly guaranteed results would make it viable.

Maybe you could argue that set and legendary recipes fix this problem. They don't. In almost 500 hours of farming, the only legendary/set item recipe that has dropped for me is the Wedge, an item laughably underpowered for the level range it is intended for.

Devs, blues, etc., stop pretending that crafting as it is fails because players aren't willing to experiment with it. It fails because it's just a bad choice for resource spending.

Low-level crafting aside (which has the potential to be good, but isn't, for the reasons listed above,) high-level crafting is just crap.

I know this is an ARPG and you don't want to guarantee anything--but that's the problem. No one goes to a blacksmith, tailor, shoemaker, etc., and just hands over money without determining the result ahead of time.

Fix low rolls per iIevel, and let me choose stats to some extent. I should be able to choose my attack stat, and every item crafted should roll that and probably VIT. Every item at 60 should roll RA. There should be rings, amulets, and offhand recipes, and all should automatically roll min/max damage bonus. Let me pay more for some roll of IAS/CC/CD and even more for guaranteed trifecta items.

Is this contrary to the concept of ARPG random items? Yes, it is. But is crafting as it exists a complete affront to the concept of paying for an item? Yes, it is. Without some level of guarantee, it's terribly broken and nothing any sane player would partake in.
Bringing crafting back is great, but every crafting recipe is seriously BoA?

Dislike, big time.

I was around when +6 prop recipes were a big deal.

Why not focus on adding additional sinks to +6 prop / legendary recipe crafting for the player base?

I got my first legendary crafting recipe just recently a few days ago on my main account after 800 hours~ of play, too bad every legendary recipe is flat out bad.
so you like gambling.. so how thi's.. 10% of all marq gems are NOT BOA.. heh..so they may end up commanding higher than the cost of 3 radiant+gold
BoA is to please people whining about AH/RMAH users.
You want self-found? Well there's your self-found. Now get crafting!

"The crafting recipes also provide you the chance to roll a best-in-slot item that you can't buy or sell on the Auction House (something which players have been asking for), "

WTF??? Who???

You fail to listen to your community
BoA is to please people whining about AH/RMAH users.
You want self-found? Well there's your self-found. Now get crafting!

I want rewards , gold, items what ever drop from a MONSTER.