A butterfly princess to inspire terror.

Lore and Story
So the most beloved character in the Diablo franchise is killed by a butterfly princess. A character who has survived countless terrors and braved the very gates of hell itself ,not to mention being kidnapped and shoved in a tiny little cage, is undone by a witch with butterfly wings. She looks like my 6 year old cousin at a costume tea party. I am not begging for a supper gritty plot I know that is impossible at this point because apparently in our quest for rich storyline we are incapable of anything better than an M Night Shyamalan plot twist where Diablo was wow, surprise, a girl. To further add to the fires of sadness Diablo a daemon we are supposed to run in terror from is wearing heals and has well a rather large endowment and I am not talking about an endowment mortgage.

But to return to the worst of the lot Maghda simply an insulting character. She kills the only character I had any connection to in the game and worse does it in a lackluster fashion, ohhhh noo she has him in a torture tether and it kills him. Can she kill you however or even damage you then? No of course not because she stinks as a character as a plot device and as a boss. She even admits she is stupid. When your character points out that her boss is the lord of lies she just says "Noo, he would never betray me!" Wow she really thought that through. And so did the terrible writers for this game Chris Metzen and Flint Dille. Thanks guys bang up job. Good job creating a terrible butterfly princess that kills one of gaming's most iconic characters in a pathetic des ex machine plot construct.
Do you even know who Mahgda is ? .... She...

No you know what.. forget, you have a lack of respect for the franchise.
Maghda was fully evil. Her appearance was deceptively innocent looking, just like Belial's was. Also, she didn't have wings. If you look closely, those are huge moths on her shoulders. More importantly, it needs to be understood that death doesn't need to be "epic". You die when something kills you, even if that something isn't "glorious".
The problem is that Diablo 3 went for a less realistic storytelling style than Diablo 2.

There's a difference between having an inglorious death and having a disrespectful one.

Inglorious would be what happened to Marius. He didn't get an epic death or a monologue or any real character development..But his death was still well handled. You still feel something other than disappointment when he dies.

Cain's death is disrespectful. You can not kill your third most iconic character in that way and not expect backlash.

I'm also getting tired of morons defending Blizzard's garbage writing. I swear, you people must have grown up on some pretty !@#$ movies/books/TV shows for this to be good to you.
The problem is that Diablo 3 went for a less realistic storytelling style than Diablo 2.

There's a difference between having an inglorious death and having a disrespectful one.

Inglorious would be what happened to Marius. He didn't get an epic death or a monologue or any real character development..But his death was still well handled. You still feel something other than disappointment when he dies.

Cain's death is disrespectful. You can not kill your third most iconic character in that way and not expect backlash.

I'm also getting tired of morons defending Blizzard's garbage writing. I swear, you people must have grown up on some pretty !@#$ movies/books/TV shows for this to be good to you.

He was killed by the leader of the Coven, not by some giggling baby imp that snuck into his bathroom and munched on his brains while he was taking a dump. Besides, murder usually involves disrespect.

Watch the personal insults, please.
The meteor impact depleted all his shields, so a couple of moths were enough to do lethal structure damage.
He was killed by the leader of the Coven, not by some giggling baby imp that snuck into his bathroom and munched on his brains while he was taking a dump. Besides, murder usually involves disrespect.

Watch the personal insults, please.

I think you totally missed the point. He never said some baby imp killed him. He's saying the fashion which Cain was killed was disrespectful to the FANS for being poorly presented, with poor dialouge and crappy graphics and by an unappealing, unintimidating boss in an unappealing manner.

Maghda, people seem to be un-aware of who she is. She is the leader of the coven, co-founder of the coven.
Maghda and Adria created the coven. Adria is controlled by Diablo, has been since the end of Diablo1, through Aiden.

Those are -very- powerful witches. So Maghda went with Moths as her main theme, would you have her rather go with Demons? That would have been very original. Lets add more demoned themed baddies. No. They went with something more original.

She chose Moths for a reason, she has nothing to prove to you or anyone else. She is the leader of the coven. she doesnt care what you think of her attire.
Good points Rain. I see Maghda as a mage that specializes in insectoid magic. The WD can use the locust swarm spell, and in D&D, high-level clerics can summon insect armies to attack their enemies. There are even some rpgs that have "insectoid mage" as a player class.
Good points Rain. I see Maghda as a mage that specializes in insectoid magic. The WD can use the locust swarm spell, and in D&D, high-level clerics can summon insect armies to attack their enemies. There are even some rpgs that have "insectoid mage" as a player class.

the point here is not against the insectoid fashion of Maghda, is that she's just plain unintimidating. it's one of the points I think could have been better, actually. she's a disciple of Belial after all, she may be just a human witch, but she's a master of ilusions, she could at least looked scary.
02/27/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Mith
the point here is not against the insectoid fashion of Maghda, is that she's just plain unintimidating. it's one of the points I think could have been better, actually. she's a disciple of Belial after all, she may be just a human witch, but she's a master of ilusions, she could at least looked scary.

The entire purpose of presenting an illusion is to conceal your true nature.
Agreed. Maghda was a pathetic and unintimidating opponent in any sense. Cain's death could have been handled a lot better. A lot of people think this generally; it's certainly old news.
After 10,000 years I am finally free. Time to conquer Earth...
Do you even know who Mahgda is ? .... She...

No you know what.. forget, you have a lack of respect for the franchise.

because it doesn't deserve any respect in its current form
In my opinion, it wasn't so much as Maghda doing the killing, but more so the entire sequence they used for Cains death. It felt lackluster to the point of thinking "ok guys, jokes over." When they revealed that it wasn't a joke, I was dumbfounded to be quite honest. Don't get me wrong, I don't need some Die Hard-esk, grand death scene. Just something that had more emotion in it, more, I don't know, weight?
hmmm... I fun killing her. repeatedly. that gave me some closure (~,O)P
had.... damn proof reading.
02/27/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Starblazer
The entire purpose of presenting an illusion is to conceal your true nature.

would be nice if that true nature was revealed when she realized she was screwed about halfway through....

would be very embarrassing if i died as a pretty pink butterfly lady.
Who cares
Well i dont know about Cains death, but she sure is a pain in the !@# uber boss