[Guide] The Cookie Cutter. (1.0.7)

Monk
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
02/12/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Fitz
rarely

I don't like using absolutes when I speak because I have found that in this crazy world we live in, there is always (irony) someone out there who will prove you wrong.

:D
I am looking at the first build ashes to ashes, but I have a questions, in mid level MPs- (5-6), I 1 shot everything even with TC, is it important to have the Inna's 4 set?

In 1.06, I noticed that it was quite hard to spam MoC without the Inna's 4 set unless during prolonged BUT not dangerous battles where you could facetank and just hit. In dangerous battles (molten, bugged yellow reflect), where you had to re-position and wait for serenity frequently, it became impossible to use MoC repeatedly without Inna's 4 set as I run out of spirit.

My question is: is it possible in 1.07 (even with exalted soul), to maintain THREE high spirit spenders? MoC, SW AND WOL? Or would we benefit more with the Inna's 4 set.

I have a WH belt that is 4.5k dps/66k ehp increase from Inna's belt, which is quite good itself. Just wondering whether saving that SW cost and spamming more MoC or Bells would result in more eDPS?

I am using S/B build now so that lowers my spirit generation speed, as my APS is around 2 (with WH), and that IAS is almost maxed out. Or does the ashes to ashes build work better with DW?
SSS can replace Serenity....
tag
02/12/2013 10:37 AMPosted by KamelJabber
tag

You're it!
I am looking at the first build ashes to ashes, but I have a questions, in mid level MPs- (5-6), I 1 shot everything even with TC, is it important to have the Inna's 4 set?

In 1.06, I noticed that it was quite hard to spam MoC without the Inna's 4 set unless during prolonged BUT not dangerous battles where you could facetank and just hit. In dangerous battles (molten, bugged yellow reflect), where you had to re-position and wait for serenity frequently, it became impossible to use MoC repeatedly without Inna's 4 set as I run out of spirit.

My question is: is it possible in 1.07 (even with exalted soul), to maintain THREE high spirit spenders? MoC, SW AND WOL? Or would we benefit more with the Inna's 4 set.

I have a WH belt that is 4.5k dps/66k ehp increase from Inna's belt, which is quite good itself. Just wondering whether saving that SW cost and spamming more MoC or Bells would result in more eDPS?

I am using S/B build now so that lowers my spirit generation speed, as my APS is around 2 (with WH), and that IAS is almost maxed out. Or does the ashes to ashes build work better with DW?

Wave of light naturally lends itself in the current patch to the highest possible dps weapons and if you plan on spamming moc overawe you won't really have the spirit to spam wave of light (which has no cooldown), and use it to its full potential. 4 piece inna would be more ideal and suited to it, at least it takes sw cyclones out of the equation for spirit spenders. Even with exalted soul sooner rather then later you'll outspend your resource, without either 1) high spirit regen 2) a spirit generator that builds it up substantially and adequately your going to be holding your mouse button down half the time autoattacking waiting on spirit build to keep overawe up and to spam bells at the same time. Dw it would work better imo not from a dps persepctive (well for cyclones it would) but from a spirit point of view vs sword and board.

Wave of light naturally lends itself in the current patch to the highest possible dps weapons and if you plan on spamming moc overawe you won't really have the spirit to spam wave of light (which has no cooldown), and use it to its full potential. 4 piece inna would be more ideal and suited to it, at least it takes sw cyclones out of the equation for spirit spenders. Even with exalted soul sooner rather then later you'll outspend your resource, without either 1) high spirit regen 2) a spirit generator that builds it up substantially and adequately your going to be holding your mouse button down half the time autoattacking waiting on spirit build to keep overawe up and to spam bells at the same time. Dw it would work better imo not from a dps persepctive (well for cyclones it would) but from a spirit point of view vs sword and board.

So am I supposed to use Inna's 4 set, NOT spam MoC and just save everything for bells? Actually that sounds quite good, I doubt even dangerous elites can take more then 4 bells (3000+% dmg).

Or should i take my super WH belt, and not use WoL? Cant wait to test the alternatives!
Wait a minute, are you the guy that wrote the Jedi Monk Anothology? lol Great builds.

So am I supposed to use Inna's 4 set, NOT spam MoC and just save everything for bells? Actually that sounds quite good, I doubt even dangerous elites can take more then 4 bells (3000+% dmg).

Or should i take my super WH belt, and not use WoL? Cant wait to test the alternatives!

Bells are a great way to do dps now, i've had my build for a month or 3 now and it just got a hell of a lot better today. I'm just saying you should focus on moc or bells to "maximize" your dps, can't really do both and especially not sw without 4 piece inna's at the very least. The build looks good from all points more tailored high attack speed builds but if you don't have that try using fot quickening or some variation thereof that returns substantial amounts of spirit. The build is a spirit hog for those used to the status quo of keeping moc overawe up 3 secs at a time.
One thing that I learned in playing with WoL that may not be immediately obvious is that if you have an RD pack that is surrounded by non-RD monsters, the non-RD monsters effectively buffers you from the effects of RD (and even heal you in significant amounts). So in essence, kiting them to a bunch of non-RD monsters and attacking THEM with your primary attacks and then dropping bells in the vicinity of RD monsters can be a strategy, in case you are having problems with RD packs in 1.0.7 and want to tank them with or without their shields up.
@Piffle, Moe is right, SSS can be interchanged with Serenity, in my view SSS is really just a 1 sec Serenity with alot of DPS = )

@Balance, yup it's the same person = )
there're alot more powerful/fun/unique builds in his temple if you should ever want to seek them out
It takes alot of practice to use the stronger builds though = /

@LordRaahl / CountFury
thanks for posting this up
I'll play around and try with this new cookie cutter tonight =D
I'll go and pratice my trumpets afterwards ... still not getting the hang of it, can only blow 5 tunes and that is if I survive the first part of battle with nasty affixes =(
but I think 1.07 should change things for the better

Flower for the old cookie cutter:
░░░(¯`:´¯)░░
░░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░
░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)░(¯`:´¯)⋰
░░(_.•´/|\`•._)(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)
░░░ (_.:._).░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)
░░░(¯`:´¯)░░(_.•´/|\`•._)
░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░░(_.:._).
░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)
░░(_.•´/|\`•._)
░░░(_.:._)░░░░░
Patch 1.07 will be a bells heaven... I'm just picturing 4 monks thumping WOL.. lol
02/12/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Immortal
Patch 1.07 will be a bells heaven... I'm just picturing 4 monks thumping WOL.. lol

Hell's Bells, I think you mean ;)

@All, SSS is ok, and I've used it before, but was really looking for something else.
@Piffle I've been using dashing strike on live to replace serenity in all but mp10 ubers. For me its worked out awesome and in all but a few circumstances(Like arcane/vortex etc where you just get sucked into lazers immediately after dashing away) been better then serenity because of its lack of cooldown.

There is something on screen to dash too 95% of the time or greater. Even if its just to jump behind the elite your attacking.
One thing that I learned in playing with WoL that may not be immediately obvious is that if you have an RD pack that is surrounded by non-RD monsters, the non-RD monsters effectively buffers you from the effects of RD (and even heal you in significant amounts). So in essence, kiting them to a bunch of non-RD monsters and attacking THEM with your primary attacks and then dropping bells in the vicinity of RD monsters can be a strategy, in case you are having problems with RD packs in 1.0.7 and want to tank them with or without their shields up.

This holds true for anything else too though, especially Cyclones. I've done that plenty of times when fighting packs with RD + multiple ground effects, most notably RD+Molten+Electrified.
I'll prob try this out fer higher MPs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adXSke!YXb!YcbcaY

Pretty versatile. High sustain from Transcendence and high spirit spending/genning also WoL/BL werks as a CC to get you out of stick3 situations as opposed to Serenity. DS to compensate for no TP on FoT/Q and by dashin constantly in between targets it's pretty EZ to keep up the Blindin Speedo dodge bonus.
02/12/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Immortal

maybe 4 monks is ok, cm/freeze build wizards of all classes tend to hate the !@#$ out of bell spam especially empowered wave. Sure they'll get used to it, though the knockback can get annoying.
What about a build with Cyclone and Exploding Palm? Sounds like it could have potential.