Will console version receive updates and patches?

General Discussion
I sincerely doubt it. Not many games receive huge content updates regularly on consoles. I'm questioning the worth of buying it on console over PC.
02/21/2013 04:48 PMPosted by aro
I sincerely doubt it. Not many games receive huge content updates regularly on consoles. I'm questioning the worth of buying it on console over PC.

Updates are important to us too, and we’ll be working closely with Sony to ensure that we’ll have the ability to push important updates out to our players in a timely manner. At this point in time, however, we aren’t ready to confirm any details just yet regarding the frequency or timing of content updates for the PlayStation version of Diablo III.
Thanks for addressing this very important issue.
02/27/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Updates are important to us too, and we’ll be working closely with Sony to ensure that we’ll have the ability to push important updates out to our players in a timely manner. At this point in time, however, we aren’t ready to confirm any details just yet regarding the frequency or timing of content updates for the PlayStation version of Diablo III.

By the tone of this paragraph it seems that in order to get updates for D3 on console not only do the updates have to go through a check on Blizzard's end but all Sony. I wonder if all this bureaucratic action will slow down in the introduction of updates for D3 console.

I guess only time can tell.
02/27/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Estoppel

By the tone of this paragraph it seems that in order to get updates for D3 on console not only do the updates have to go through a check on Blizzard's end but all Sony. I wonder if all this bureaucratic action will slow down in the introduction of updates for D3 console.

I guess only time can tell.

Ehhh D3 updates are infrequent enough. Blizzard usually finalizes a patch and syncs it to the CDN the Weds-Fri before a patch day. If 4-6 days isn't enough for some pencil pusher at Sony to give them the go-ahead for a game update I'd be surprised.

Hotfixes are less important on console too since the economies aren't connected so the console people can't really do a lot of damage if there's some big exploit after a patch.

But yea, only time will tell.
02/27/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Sure you will.
I just hope that update for console don't effect the PC version. They might not share account ect but I believe the content on both console and PC will be the same. If Blizzard and PC gamer need to wait for Sony's "OK" before Blizzard update D3 then I think I'll be unhappy :(
02/27/2013 07:35 PMPosted by ShadowHunter
I just hope that update for console don't effect the PC version. They might not share account ect but I believe the content on both console and PC will be the same. If Blizzard and PC gamer need to wait for Sony's "OK" before Blizzard update D3 then I think I'll be unhappy :(

No, I think not, PC most certainly will get update sooner, and console will follow after that, I predict some kind of combined patch on console to reduce the frequency of back and forth between Sony patch bureaucracy, unless it's an important security update.
Yea it will be interestin to see how much support the PS versions get. Anyone remember the PS3/360 versions of Orange Box? Zero updates whatsoever.
Don't both Sony and Microsoft charge the developers for a patch? I seem to recall hearing that this is the case. If so then yes you can expect them to make large patches at longer intervals to cut down the cost.
They will probably reduce (suppress?) the frequency of patches to adapt to consoles.
Ok. Now can we get a blue post for single player offline confirmation?
YEah, we will definitely be waiting on Sony for patch approval...Sucks but it's there network...
02/27/2013 06:33 PMPosted by Vinnie
Thanks for addressing this very important issue.

Comments like this are why they don't reply very often to questions.