bring back RUNEWORDS!!!!

General Discussion
This thread is directed at the d3 team and also the gamer community for discussion. I hope that the d3 team considers bringing back runes and runewords a la d2. It would make the game a lot more fun. They would have to ensure that runes had the same rarity that d2 had so that they would be very valuable and not easy to get (for the high-end runes).
03/06/2013 06:30 PMPosted by DOWNFALL
+1 to runes, runewords, saphires, diamonds, skulls, and magic/rare/legendary jewels

and then,
on top of that,
all the TRUE innovations we expected in D3 as a sequel.

i.e. u need to go above and beyond what is listed above, and don't just try to pass off runewords, jewels, etc. like "here's the expansion, guys!", because we know u will do that, D3 team, you sorry excuses.
^ agreed. I'd also like to see the return of jewels and charms. And a better variety of legendaries for sure.
and then, on top of that,all the TRUE innovations we expected in D3 as a sequel.

Amen
If implemented with care, I believe the players would be back.
god forbid they use any of the ideas from d2.

That game is antiquated and dated, in today's gaming world there is no place for a game that relies so heavily on archaic systems such as those.

/sarcasm
^_^ hope they will see this thread!

bbs.battlecn.net <=== check this site if you know the language
Think about what you are asking. You are asking that they add runes, which have a rare drop, and allow us to combine them to create items.

That can easily be alleviated by adding new crafting stuff and new rare materials.

The whole idea behind runewords in D2 was bad though. It gave too many abilities that other classes shouldn't have had, as well as made it critical to have a number of them for specific stats.

No, they shouldn't add them as they were in D2, they should simply make useful rares and legendaries, as well as crafting recipes that have random but good stats. However, in doing this, they also need to make sure that they don't have certain required stats. That removes the ability to customize our characters.

Runes were just a hassle to manage, take out the middle man and leave it at items.
Think about what you are asking. You are asking that they add runes, which have a rare drop, and allow us to combine them to create items.

That can easily be alleviated by adding new crafting stuff and new rare materials.

The whole idea behind runewords in D2 was bad though. It gave too many abilities that other classes shouldn't have had, as well as made it critical to have a number of them for specific stats.

No, they shouldn't add them as they were in D2, they should simply make useful rares and legendaries, as well as crafting recipes that have random but good stats. However, in doing this, they also need to make sure that they don't have required stats. That removes the ability to customize our characters.

Runes were just a hassle to manage, take out the middle man and leave it at items.

Runewords are the single best idea in Diablo 2. Tone down the power (ie give abilities but don't give such good abilities) and they would have been fine. Mostly the auras and enigma were the culprits.

Honestly though, any system is better than the abortion that is diablo 3.

Runewords were pretty much crafting with the exception of needing to find a specific weapon or piece of armor to place the runes in.

There would literally be no difference between having runewords and crafted items. Like I said, they just need to add specific rare crafting materials.

Runewords were pretty much crafting with the exception of needing to find a specific weapon or piece of armor to place the runes in.

There would literally be no difference between having runewords and crafted items. Like I said, they just need to add specific rare crafting materials.

And specific items, and specific crafting material/items can be traded/sold. And the crafted item would guarentee all the properties only values differ (ie like legendary items should be). Thus a player who crafts the item knows it will be decent/good, but likely not "best" and definitely not a giant pile of crap.

Absolutely, but isn't that what they are doing with drop itemization now? The stats will be decent/good, though there will still be some chance of getting a giant pile of crap. It's certainly a step in the right direction though.

I have not seen anything with crafting yet, but I can almost guarantee that new crafting will be added with specific stat types with or before the expansion. They just need to create recipes similar to how the hellfire ring is designed, where one can choose a str, int, or dex item. They could easily create alternate tabs for these main stats and make items that have a secondary or even tertiary stat type that will also be guaranteed, such as crit and haste.

But when comparing to the "best" items, you always have the chance of getting crap, which should be the case to an extent. For instance, making an insight back in D2 that only had a lvl 12 meditation aura. How pissed were you when it wasn't 17? =P
Yeah I would love to see them put something like Runeword's in the game.
I'd LOVE some kind of runeword system for D3. I really would.
El Eld Tir Nef Eth Ith Tal Ral Orth Amn Shael ~ those were the common runes i "still" memorized XD
03/06/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Wolf

and endlessly more interesting and rewarding

dont forget that