Travis Day: "We frequently discuss the Diablo economy"

General Discussion
"We frequently discuss the Diablo economy -"
- Travis Day, Itemisation Blog

This encapsulates everything I hate about Diablo 3 right now.

I do NOT want to have to think about the 'Diablo Economy'. I don't want to even imagine there is one. Whilst I am fighting the legions of undead I just need to find a sword of magic power to help me in my heroic endeavours.

Economy and a fantasy action roleplaying game do not belong in the same thinkspace.

Thank you Blizzard, for making it clear, time and time again, where you are going with this game.
I don't mind having an economy, but it sucks to have it shoved down my throat through a deliberately frustrating loot system blatantly tailored to funnel people into the auction house. They sacrificed the main addictive component in the Diablo franchise (the oh shiny! effect) to make a quick buck off frustrated players. Financially successful, but ethically bankrupt. It's still refreshing to read that blog, but i'll take it with a grain of salt and wait and see how those ideas turn out.
03/06/2013 08:05 PMPosted by xxBarabbasxx
Play the game much? Got to actually play if you want that sword of magic power...

It's easy to publically check my playtime profile on this account I think, or did they nerf this function yet?
Why the hell haven't they adjusted the RMAH gold price. They are doing a disservice to the economy, their revenue... everything really.

The decimal place should have moved again over 3 months ago.
Then just play your game.

If you truly "play" the game, you should progress little by little and not trading at all.
I'm not interested in an economy.

I just want to have fun playing the game.

But it seem considerations about 'the economy' are preventing implementation of things that made Diablo 1 and 2 a lot more fun. Hence, I have less fun.
I'm not interested in an economy.

I just want to have fun playing the game.

But it seem considerations about 'the economy' are preventing implementation of things that made Diablo 1 and 2 a lot more fun. Hence, I have less fun.

But you aren't really playing the game, so how could you have fun? 1k elites will get you around lvl 60, you can't expect amazing items to drop when you've only killed a relative handful of elites compared to most (at inferno level).
I don't want amazing item drops. I do want drops that engage me and make the game play more fun. Adding 100 points to my attack damage doesn't really make the game more fun. Adding a chance to spawn random bear traps around me when I use this new hunter weapon would make the game more fun ... that's the sort of thing I'd be interested in.

There are two reasons we don't have these fun things:

1) Blizzard's creative and dev team cannot come up with a deploy them (I refuse to believe this, they have a great creative team)
2) Such itemisation will interfere with the economy.