[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

Wizard
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
07/08/2013 06:04 PMPosted by MisoHoney
Could you explain this further? Int Tyrael's seem to be going for cheap right now. My main concern is that you are losing ~200 Vit and a slot of AR from not having a Zuni Chest.

I made a set with Tyrael's Might instead of a Zuni just to try it out. I got to keep my crafted bracers and just got rare pants instead of rare pants/Lacunis. I know it's less vit, but I will buy another wizard hat with what I need. My other setup will be Zuni chest/rare pants/Lacunis.

Tyrael's just gives you movement without the IAS, so when I finish the other set, I have to drop IAS from somewhere.
Could you explain this further? Int Tyrael's seem to be going for cheap right now. My main concern is that you are losing ~200 Vit and a slot of AR from not having a Zuni Chest.
I was thinking of running High Vit Innas Pants with a Skorn setup - I don't think I can deal with less than 24 MS.

as he said, as long as you can overcome that ehp lost it can prove to be very useful. The 15% to demon and 4% to elite are huge dps boost at some areas. For example the oasis which had snakes, the halls in act 1, whole area in act4 and most mobs in act3 (specially craters). Whenever you encounter an elite+demon combination it's almost an easy win for you get the whole 15%+4% bonus. Also some mobs with much higher HP's are demons -like the colosal golgors and tremors , with tyraels you kill them just as fast as normal trash. Id recommend act3 as the best spot
So I finally got around to trying this build, well a variation of it, and since I'm a fan of trash farming in FoM I started out there. At first I had some trouble, tried the variation with Celestial Orb for aggroing and while it's not as bad as I thought it would be (CO really does aggro like nothing else) it's just not fast enough. I tried using PO for aggro and procing AD but even though PO has the same range as CO and is spamable it just doesn't aggro any where near as much.

So instead of trying to herd mobs together in large packs I decided to try and get from pack to pack fast and finally settled for this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bZXhTS!gTW!cYccYc

And it is working quite nicely in terms of clear speed, there is just one problem, I keep getting my channeling interupted by Chargers. So I figured I'd try it in a different area so headed over to the Dahlgur Oasis and again I keep getting interupted by the Overlords smashing with their hammers, so I went to Weeping hollows and again, those fat duders just keeps knocking me back, interupting my channeling and thus lifesteal and I keep dieing.

Damage with LL and AD is really good and it is quite fast since scramble is almost constantly up but all these knock-backers are really ruining my day. 3-4 deaths per run is not ok and makes what could have been pretty fast run into a completely frustrating experience.

I tried using teleport to avoid the chargers but that also interupts my channeling and scramble is much better for mobility since I have no dots to proc CD on teleport while moving between packs. What am I doing wrong, if anything, and am I really going to have to ad !@#$ing Frostnova to this build aswell??!
My friend lent me his gear so I tried this build out. I quite like it but the lack of range attacks is really annoying. It's still a toss up for me between sleet storm and black ice. Sleet is really great for those huge dense packs whereas I'm more comfortable with ice because of the range.

The lack of movement speed and manoeuvrability of a wiz really hurts this build.
07/08/2013 06:04 PMPosted by MisoHoney

Your last sentence is what I was eluding to. Not that Tyrael's itself is expensive, but that making up all that lost EHP can be.
@Mental

Link your profile so we can get a better idea of what you're working with.

NM, I think I found you. Give me a few minutes.

Ok, right off the bat your biggest problem is that you're relying completely on Blood Magic, yet you lack the dps to make 1.5% enough healing. Even then you'll need Frost Nova in the build in order to survive some things with only Blood Magic. I can get up to almost 600k on the sheet if I wanted to, and BM still isn't enough sometimes against certain elite and affix combinations.

You can remedy this in a couple of ways if you don't want to use Frost Nova:

1)- Get a wand with APoC, LS, and socket. This will let you keep your 2p Nat's, 2 sources of APoC, and you should be able to heal through more stuff. Downside is you're going to lose a lot of DPS not having CHD on your weapon.

2)- Get a Storm Crow or a really good rare Wizard hat for APoC, and switch to a weapon with CHD, socket, LS. You'll lose your 2p Nat's, but the dps loss won't be as big the first suggestion.

Also, Scramble's cute and all, but it's really not needed with the mob density changes. Every time you move like 10 feet there's a new pack of mobs. And if you don't want to rely on Frost Nova, that means you're going to need better defenses (your AR is already kinda low for a non-freeze build). Reactive Armor with good dps and high LS can let you heal back some of the damage you take whenever you get hit, and it procs off of several elite affixes which makes it quite good for survivability and dps. Ice Armor with the Ice Reflect rune can be good, too, since the problem you're facing is mostly melee type mobs. The frost nova the armor procs can be pretty amazing at times and it doesn't take an attack turn. And of course, Prismatic or Pinpoint are options as well.

You're using Lacuni AND Inna's pants. Pick one and ditch the other. You're losing out on way too much mitigation going with both for marginal dps gains.

LL+AD takes some getting used to. The problem it seems like you're having is that you're trying too hard to keep an AD boosted channel going, and getting frustrated when you have to break that channel. You can't play the build like that really (at least not very effectively compared to other variations). Basically what you have to do is just play the build like you don't even have AD in it, use LL only as an AP generator for when you need it, and if you just happen to get a 5 stack then take advantage of it for as long as you can. If you have to break channel or get interrupted, don't sweat it, and don't stress trying to stack back to 5. Just go back to playing normally from there. If you get to an elite pack where you know you can just stack to 5 right off the bat and channel forever until they're dead without ever having to break channel, then great! Do it! But if not, again... don't stress it. Just play normally.

The above, along with what you describe, is exactly the reasons why I hate using LL+AD. On paper it sounds amazing. And there are times when you can do some really massive damage with it. But there are more times when you can't, when both LL and AD are wasted slots in the build for a majority of the time. Some people are ok with being a badass 25% of the time and just OK for the other 75% of the time, but I'd rather be a badass 100% of the time, so I prefer SS builds that are much more fluid and "always on".

Also, I highly recommend Teleport in the build. Playing a melee type build without it can be a massive headache. And since survivability is such a big thing for a build like this, Safe Passage is the obvious choice. If you get to a point where survivability is no longer an issue for you, then go with Wormhole for all your mobility and speed farming needs.

I hope some of that helps.
@Mental

Link your profile so we can get a better idea of what you're working with.

NM, I think I found you. Give me a few minutes.

Ok, right off the bat your biggest problem is that you're relying completely on Blood Magic, yet you lack the dps to make 1.5% enough healing. Even then you'll need Frost Nova in the build in order to survive some things with only Blood Magic. I can get up to almost 600k on the sheet if I wanted to, and BM still isn't enough sometimes against certain elite and affix combinations.

Yeah, the build that was in the profile is purely testing out for trash farming in FoM where Blood Magic suffices as the only source of ls. I actually tried it with BM and a 3% ls dagger that I have, APOC is fine with the kind of packs you get in that area, but knock back still kills me instantly at times. By the looks of it there is a small, small delay between landing after a knock back until you can start channeling again and in a high damage environment like no-freeze FoM, it just kills me, instantly. Might be my imagination though and I just don't have enough EHP is all...

I managed to squeeze in a bit of play time this morning and tried safe passage and even though my RoF CC isn't enough to use it as freely as I would like, it still worked very well. The only problem I see with it is that I have no dot skills of any kind to proc tele when moving between packs and for getting a high kills/min average, mobility is key in FoM. I'll keep testing and see what I can come up with and post a small vid of it so you can get an idea of what I'm after.

You can remedy this in a couple of ways if you don't want to use Frost Nova:

1)- Get a wand with APoC, LS, and socket. This will let you keep your 2p Nat's, 2 sources of APoC, and you should be able to heal through more stuff. Downside is you're going to lose a lot of DPS not having CHD on your weapon.

2)- Get a Storm Crow or a really good rare Wizard hat for APoC, and switch to a weapon with CHD, socket, LS. You'll lose your 2p Nat's, but the dps loss won't be as big the first suggestion.

I have a SC and I also have a couple of decent Nats boots, it's gonna lose me some dps but I'll definatly try it, after all, the old cliche is still as true as ever: dead=0dps

Would a slow weapon be better, I think I read somewhere aps doesn't effect the damage other than that your sheet dps gets higher but you'll also use more AP when channeling. I'm thinking a spear might do well?

07/09/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Malakai
Also, Scramble's cute and all, but it's really not needed with the mob density changes. Every time you move like 10 feet there's a new pack of mobs. And if you don't want to rely on Frost Nova, that means you're going to need better defenses (your AR is already kinda low for a non-freeze build). Reactive Armor with good dps and high LS can let you heal back some of the damage you take whenever you get hit, and it procs off of several elite affixes which makes it quite good for survivability and dps. Ice Armor with the Ice Reflect rune can be good, too, since the problem you're facing is mostly melee type mobs. The frost nova the armor procs can be pretty amazing at times and it doesn't take an attack turn. And of course, Prismatic or Pinpoint are options as well.

Again scramble is only a test build for FoM and I might have to face the fact that for all content/elites, FN might be the option for me since I don't think I can get the gear together to get enough mitigation and EHP for a all content FN-less build. Unless it's possible to do with a Skorn at +5% ls but then I'm back to APOC being a problem. Maybe it could work with EA - Absorbation or some other AP generating skill?

You're using Lacuni AND Inna's pants. Pick one and ditch the other. You're losing out on way too much mitigation going with both for marginal dps gains.

Hopefully come friday I can get some time to farm some DEs and get a couple of decent/useable bracers. Gonna try it with my AR/Armor BT pants and if it works well maybe get a couple of decent rare pants.

LL+AD takes some getting used to. The problem it seems like you're having is that you're trying too hard to keep an AD boosted channel going, and getting frustrated when you have to break that channel. You can't play the build like that really (at least not very effectively compared to other variations). Basically what you have to do is just play the build like you don't even have AD in it, use LL only as an AP generator for when you need it, and if you just happen to get a 5 stack then take advantage of it for as long as you can. If you have to break channel or get interrupted, don't sweat it, and don't stress trying to stack back to 5. Just go back to playing normally from there. If you get to an elite pack where you know you can just stack to 5 right off the bat and channel forever until they're dead without ever having to break channel, then great! Do it! But if not, again... don't stress it. Just play normally.

The above, along with what you describe, is exactly the reasons why I hate using LL+AD. On paper it sounds amazing. And there are times when you can do some really massive damage with it. But there are more times when you can't, when both LL and AD are wasted slots in the build for a majority of the time. Some people are ok with being a badass 25% of the time and just OK for the other 75% of the time, but I'd rather be a badass 100% of the time, so I prefer SS builds that are much more fluid and "always on".

Also, I highly recommend Teleport in the build. Playing a melee type build without it can be a massive headache. And since survivability is such a big thing for a build like this, Safe Passage is the obvious choice. If you get to a point where survivability is no longer an issue for you, then go with Wormhole for all your mobility and speed farming needs.

Yup, got around to try it a bit more this morning and you are pretty much spot on, also I noticed that on a large pack of trash LL will proc to 5 stacks really fast. So I kited around a bit gathering some mobs and put out a few LL, tele into the middle of the pack and start channeling SS. While doing so the LL duders are still up and procing AD so you will get a few AD boosted DS and EB off making the damage extremely frontloaded. If I can keep channeling it's all good but if not, I did exactly what you suggested and didn't sweat it and used non AD boosted SS to mop up. Worked pretty well but you are right in that it takes a bit of practice to get it right. Not sure it's good for Elites though since it takes too long to kill them and, like you said, LL and AD isn't useful enough to warrant the skills slots for a few seconds of incredible damage. Maybe on low MPs for DE famring but MP 10 elites just takes too long to kill.

07/09/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Malakai
I hope some of that helps.

Are you kidding, I did not expect such an in depth answer. The idea is to eventually make it a viable option to SNS for DE farming/all content so your input is very helpful to say the least.
07/10/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Mental
Yeah, the build that was in the profile is purely testing out for trash farming in FoM where Blood Magic suffices as the only source of ls. I actually tried it with BM and a 3% ls dagger that I have, APOC is fine with the kind of packs you get in that area, but knock back still kills me instantly at times. By the looks of it there is a small, small delay between landing after a knock back until you can start channeling again and in a high damage environment like no-freeze FoM, it just kills me, instantly. Might be my imagination though and I just don't have enough EHP is all...

Part of it is the EHP thing, yea. The other part is just avoiding the knockbacks in the first place. You can tell when they're about to do it, and it doesn't track, so it's easily avoidable... unless they're offscreen and you can't see it coming, which is super annoying. EB can help a lot with survivability since it doesn't take an attack turn, and the 1.5 second delay can actually be a boon at times. You get knocked back and then the explosion goes off while you're recovering and heals you. With only BM it's not noticeable, but with LS weapon + BM, or especially with a Skorn, it can save your butt many a time.

I managed to squeeze in a bit of play time this morning and tried safe passage and even though my RoF CC isn't enough to use it as freely as I would like, it still worked very well. The only problem I see with it is that I have no dot skills of any kind to proc tele when moving between packs and for getting a high kills/min average, mobility is key in FoM. I'll keep testing and see what I can come up with and post a small vid of it so you can get an idea of what I'm after.

Although I'm sure I already know what you're going for in FoM farming, a video is always great.

Would a slow weapon be better, I think I read somewhere aps doesn't effect the damage other than that your sheet dps gets higher but you'll also use more AP when channeling. I'm thinking a spear might do well?

A good spear, mace, or Skorn all work really well in Sleet Storm builds. Especially a Skorn with the huge Lifesteal. If you use a Skorn, I highly recommend Reactive Armor. Since your weapon damage and LS will be so high you'll oftentimes heal back more than you get hit for if it crits. And ranged trash mobs often kill themselves by attacking you. It's really quite an amazing ability, and still very, very underrated both in terms of survivability and dps.

Again scramble is only a test build for FoM and I might have to face the fact that for all content/elites, FN might be the option for me since I don't think I can get the gear together to get enough mitigation and EHP for a all content FN-less build. Unless it's possible to do with a Skorn at +5% ls but then I'm back to APOC being a problem. Maybe it could work with EA - Absorbation or some other AP generating skill?

A Skorn-centric SS build is definitely capable of dealing with everything the game can throw at you. It's what I started off using back in late February/early March, and it's also what I normally use when going SS. Here's the build I use for it:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZQSjhT!aWg!YaZaaa

Power Hungry and 1 source of APoC (helm) takes care of all my AP needs. My gear changes a bit when doing that build. In goes the SoJ, Tal's amulet, Zuni chest, Storm Crow, and Skorn... out goes the Mara's, rare hat, Skull Grasp, Tyrael's, and wand/source. Sometimes I'll swap out Sparkflint for Archon Destruction and Power Hungry for Glass Cannon when doing VotA runs, too.

Right now I'm using a 1H setup since I find it faster and more enjoyable when farming trash in places like Oasis, FoM, etc. With 3 sources of APoC and all this extra RoF CC (I'm at 98% RoF CC with Deep Freeze buff active) I can sustain SS + Chain Reaction without ever letting up except for maybe Keywardens when they're by themselves. And I can stutter-lock most elite packs until they're dead with Frost Nova if I want to. I don't always need to nor do I like to, but it's an option if they have nasty affix combinations.

The idea is to eventually make it a viable option to SNS for DE farming/all content so your input is very helpful to say the least.

It's definitely a viable option, moreso than most people give it credit for. It's just a bit more gear intensive in some ways. It's been my main build since March, and I used to play SNS, Archon, Blizzard/Hydra, and Disintegrate before that. SS is a lot more suited to my playstyle preference, and I'm at the point now where I can farm just as fast, if not faster (like in VotA). 5-minute MP10 VotA clears with 2H SS + Wormhole (about 6 minutes if I use Safe Passage) is really nice without having to rely on Frost Nova.
This is such a great thread, I been reading all the SS guides, because that's what I told myself when I am going wiz; do not want to go SNS, but perhaps I will give all other builds a try.

I started SS yesterday, struggling as usual with new toon, coming from barb<WD, need to learn my wiz way now with builds, skill key placement and rotation.

Because i really havent decided on gearing path nor build path yet, I always start off slow with brand new toon :p

1 thing I noticed about Sleet Storm is that it does not display crit yellow damage (i have white damage turn off), so it's like WD's Plague of Bat rune, am I correct, only white damage?

I am with skorn, so I really find Reactive Armor more enjoyable than Pinpoint Barrier.

It's not as fluid as my CoB doc yet, but hopefully I will get there someday.

mits
Hey malakai.

In your opinion do you think Nat set or sacrificing some paper dps for higher crit is worth it? you've probably already done it all and currently you go with super high crit (ROF) included. If I can get up to 70% crit and only lose like 20k dps that's probably worth it right? i'll be able to use explosion more so the dps is made up through that because CM will kick in faster?

My set up now is ok but I think higher crit is the key.

any food for thought?
Does arcane dynamo snapshot w/ sleet storm?
I think it does. malakai used it in a video and it killed gnom 10 sec faster. I assume it works.
So what you think of this :

Skorn w/ ls.
All ias/crit damage/damage gear, no cc (should be cheap)
Frostburn gauntlets
Stone of jordan w/ ice blast cc.

Buy itemw under the assumption it has max crit chance already even though it doesn't.

5 stacks arcane dynamo, channel sleet storm and change to all tank/crit chance/apoc gear (20 apoc way more than enough) and equip shield.

Since sleet storm snapshots damage (includes crit damage), and does not snapshot crit chance, you can almost mimick a 500k+ dps wiz for a very cheap price.

Crit chance doesn't snapshot but crit chance bonus to ice blast does (very unusual).

Thoughts?
So I finally got around to playing a bit more with the SS build and got a pretty good deal on a decent Skorn and you are right Malakai. Skorn seems to be the easiest way to go for all content/vota runs if you don't want to use FN. Only tried it on MP 8 so far and I still have a bit of gearing ahead of me to pull it off without hickups but it definatly got me a bit more optimistic and excited about SS.

I also got me a cheap 3% ls mace and managed to get a pretty lag free recording session with a FoM run and that also made me a lot more optimistic about the Sleet-Scramble variation. Swapped GC for Blur and 3% ls on weapon and Blood Magic made my first complete run without dying a single time possible. More SS specced gear with higher mit should make using GC possible and potentially dropping Blood Magic for a dmg oriented rune on Magic Weapon.

Results were a bit better than I had expected aswell considering the gear. Did a roughly 80-90% clear, was hoping to get knock-backed and slaughtered to show that off but no luck :)
Results are usually better just going for the hotspots for a 60-70% clear but it still only took me about 5:30 from entering fields to exiting. I forgot to check the number of kills I got but 80-90% usually nets somewhere around 600 kills, so not too shabby for being at a concept stage still.

I did try LL+AD again but it feels way to similar to the no-freeze SNS variant I use, high instensity build, and I was really after something a bit more relaxing to play. Still a bit of button mashing with DS and EB but not too bad and as I think you mentioned in the concerns thread DS+EB with CM is pretty much unbeatable for damage, especially in such a high density are as FoM.

So without further ado I give you Sleet-Scramble, a trash farming build

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HMYmEZQeo
Spent ~ 1B on gearing a SS Wiz and can currently do MP8. Still getting used to the build. Would appreciate feedback.
07/14/2013 05:58 AMPosted by MisoHoney
Spent ~ 1B on gearing a SS Wiz and can currently do MP8. Still getting used to the build. Would appreciate feedback.

horrible horrible horrible ... smh no comment

jk... I think you're doing good just keep upgrading as you get more money. I prefer 1 hander and switching to skorn for tough crowds.

right now im not using SS but I have gear to do SS or CM/WW or archon. keeps me happy to switch between diff builds depending on how I feel
07/14/2013 05:58 AMPosted by MisoHoney

I think you did pretty well so far. The great thing about going the Skorn route is that you don't need a crapton of EHP to make it work since you have all that extra healing. But even still, the big thing that stands out is that your EHP is still kinda low. More armor, AR, and HP are in order. Until then you can always try swapping Force Weapon for Blood Magic and see if that lets you go higher than MP8.

MP8 to 9 and/or 10 is a pretty big jump in mob health, so if you start to run into problems sustaining your AP, try changing Astral Presence to Power Hungry. Make sure you only pick up health globes during elite fights when you need AP or you'll waste them. As such, be sure to avoid Pickup Radius on gear lest you accidentally pick them up when you don't need them.

(side note: wouldn't it be great if Power Hungry gave a stacking AP regen buff instead and the amount of regen was increased by Pickup Radius?)
So without further ado I give you Sleet-Scramble, a trash farming build

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HMYmEZQeo

Not bad. Good use of Time Bomb, although I think CR would let you kill stuff faster and might help a bit more when casting it as you're moving. Have you tried using it instead of TB yet?

Also, have you considered Blizzard instead of Sparkflint? Dropping one as you're leaving a group that's about 3/4 dead might be good for your farming style and speed things up more than Sparkflint does.
I am digging SS more and more, with past weekend i had more time to play and get my wiz skills up to par, understanding the timing for all skills involve and adjust my playstyle.

Played CoB WD like a barb, and now I am making my SS wiz play like WD lol

Once my control skill is mp9-10, will get into gearing more and involve EB. (I only play mp6-8 now)
Explosive Blast is something I am not very used to yet, because SS does a lot of damage before the 1.5 sec explosion(mobs die from SS before EB goes off), so i played as a suicide bomber running or tp into mob packs.

@Malakai
When you were running skorn, what level of stats did you end up going for mp10/uber?
By that I meant the following targets that you would suggest for 2hand skorn SS wiz unbuffed:

I feel like these are bare minimum for mp10/uber, but would like some successful skorn SS wiz opinions, thanks.
3300+armor
500K EHP
200K dps
40cc
below 1.20 aps
Since you're not freezing anything and you don't attack from range, how does a SS Wiz handle fallen maniacs?