Use Of Dyes For Legendary/Set Items

General Discussion
I'd like to see this done in a future patch. I think it's kind of a drag that if you have a Legendary or Set item, that you're stuck with either having that color or using a Vanishing Dye on the item. For example I had my Wizard in all Royal Dye gear, but just bought Zunimassa's Trail & they are white. I'm kind of OCD about things matching, so I'd prefer to be able to dye my boots Purple or all the rest of my gear White. Plus, it would help for having a little bit more customization of characters allowing people to differentiate themselves & stand out. I'm sure quite alot of people would like to see this change happen as well.
We're keen on the idea as well, and we're currently working on making dyes usable with Legendaries. As I [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593623207?page=2#21"]mentioned previously[/url], our artists actually have to go back and redo the textures on each of the Legendaries in order to make them dye-compatible, which is why it isn't a quick-fix.

When we have an update for you on this, we'll make sure to let you know. :)

Thanks for replying! :) Sorry I didn't see the other post about it... Too bad no-one thought about this before launch & we wouldn't have to worry about it now. :(

As far as everyone making comments about "skinning" Legendaries, idk about that. I want to play Diablo 3, not Aion. -_-
ID all has taken them what is probably going to be 12 months to implement, dying/skins/any character customization is going to take another 12, at least.
We're keen on the idea as well, and we're currently working on making dyes usable with Legendaries. As I [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593623207?page=2#21"]mentioned previously[/url], our artists actually have to go back and redo the textures on each of the Legendaries in order to make them dye-compatible, which is why it isn't a quick-fix.

Is there a transmog in the works, too?

Wearing a Mempo on my Wizard completely ruins the aesthetic. That's not even accounting for the fact I hate the way it looks in general, it doesn't fit with anything else she wears period.
Apologies for the slight necro, few months old here, but only Dye related thread with a blue post in it worth reading.

It amazes me that Blizzard, with all its financial advantages, doesn't spend more money hiring people who think outside the box.

our artists actually have to go back and redo the textures on each of the Legendaries in order to make them dye-compatible

Why on earth would you waste time doing that? If this is seriously the kind of thinking that goes into developing games at Blizzard.... no wonder it takes forever to deliver, and then when it shows up it requires months of fixing stuff that the community has to help you become aware of.

Your artists shouldn't have to even touch the textures on any of the legendary or set items. All the textures required already exist in the game. It's like reinventing the wheel, who would waste time and money doing that?

If I were a paid Blizzard employee I would be more than glad to spell it out for you, but I'm not, so I'll leave it at this. Every equipment profile in Diablo 3, in terms of sheer permutations and combinations, has a numeric value attached to its pixel appearance. All you have to do is rearrange these values according to the dyes, not according to the gear.

e.g. "if dye used on item=set, display value item=<insert equivalent item with same appearance different color>"

You don't change the code on the items, you change the code on the dyes, and if what you're saying really... is that the set items and legendaries are entirely incompatible with the dye code in the first place, then you guys have made some far deeper errors in your game design than I would expect from a reputable company.

P.S. the post [you mentioned] was a 404 link.
08/30/2013 05:34 PMPosted by justhackitup
It feels like its being scrapped .

No, it will be included as a Loot 2.0 feature and it makes sense for it to launch alongside the mystic transmogrify option.

Your artists shouldn't have to even touch the textures on any of the legendary or set items. All the textures required already exist in the game. It's like reinventing the wheel, who would waste time and money doing that?

Every equipment profile in Diablo 3, in terms of sheer permutations and combinations, has a numeric value attached to its pixel appearance. All you have to do is rearrange these values according to the dyes, not according to the gear.

Ehm, that's not quite how it works. An artist needs to sit down with 3D item model and literally repaint it's texture map accordingly. If the dyes simply changed the hue value of the piece, what you're saying would make sense but they're not. Each individual piece has an array of colors attributed to the components of it's 3D model, not to mention how those will affect it's lighting values and possibly it's secondary visual effects.

Now consider that there are over 250 Legendaries in the game, with that being raised to around 300 with RoS. Now also consider that around 80% of those actually have 6 models each (one for each class).

That's over 1500 separate 3D models that need to be repainted to accommodate 20 different colours.

That's no small task and definitely not a quick-fix my friend.
Those poor artists. Gotta be a pretty boring job. Wouldn't doubt they've got some interns handling this one, lol
1 - create a female hero

2 - buy 100 vanishing dyes

3 - ????

4 - profit
@DamienJohn - couldn't off said it better myself. Changing models is never as easy as flipping as switch. I see this all to often on the forums people assume making changes is easy well clearly it isn't or changes wouldn't take so long. I assume this is something they will announce at Blizzcon as a feature of RoS

Ehm, that's not quite how it works. An artist needs to sit down with 3D item model and literally repaint it's texture map accordingly. If the dyes simply changed the hue value of the piece, what you're saying would make sense but they're not.

I don't think you understood me... at all.

Nothing I said has anything to do with hue values or changing textures. I thought... I was pretty clear. I don't know if you just didn't read all of what I wrote or something got lost in translation, but it's very simple.

All the textures are already in the game, you assign code to the dyes that use values from another piece of armor... so you essentially use a dye to swap the physical appearance of one armor with another... not sure how you got that confused with "dyes should be able to effect textures or hues".... cuz I didn't even remotely say that.
04/17/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Sinag
Good Job Vael, now make it happen. I just hate Innas Temperance being Aqua blue against a pitch black IK set, them bright pants OMG

Same against Natalya's Set too btw!
Actually, IK isn't pitch black... It's weird grey with small Tron blue swarovski crystal stuff... I'm seriously hoping that Crusader's set color pallet involves black, silver and a little white only - zero blue whatsoever.

There are some aspects of appearence beyond dye fixing, by the wy, like golden parts of lvl 62 armor...
5 months in the making, I hope this is featured with the 2.0 changes.
what i don't get is why was this not done to begin with. i don't understand did blizzard not foresee that people would not want to be stuck having to use vanishing dye because they like their gear matching.

stuff like this should have been done when the game was being developed. there should be no such thing as a none dyable item with the exception to weapons and shield.
I am looking forward to this as well! I always just use vanishing dye as nothing matches unless you have the same of a set and that is not advantageous in this game.