"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 1)

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 5 6 7 22 Next
Sorry, the adding sockets answer and tone of the response just sounds idiotic. The fact that a socket completely changes the value in items from worthless to useable is reason enough that it should be a big priority with itemization.

I can't tell you how many times I say "damn, wish that had a socket"

Being able to add sockets to items completely would change the game, it would make a ton more items competitive with manticores, skorns, etc.

IMO if it was tedious to add a socket then the solution is simple.

Have every item guarantee at least one socket so you don't have to keep adding them.

It's like item enchants in WoW. Yes, it gets tedious having to reenchant every item you find. But it gives you some sense of upgrading the item's power.

You also get several enchants to choose from with varying expenses. The point is, it gives us a choice.

Giving the Blacksmith the ability to socket an item doesn't mean it's going to be tedious to socket every item. It means that you now have the choice in whether or not you want to invest some gold into giving that item something you desire.

Just like Enchanting, it adds depth and customization. Adding more socketables to the game helps add more depth as well. There are some things that should be removed from the game because they're tedious, however sockets are not one of those things.

The Mystic would add tons of depth to itemization. She should not have been cut just because players would feel mandated to evaluate every item they find. Tedium is only a valid argument in some circumstances.

For instance, if you had to run to a specific vendor to vendor specific types of items. That's a level of tedium where you could justify just completely removing that requirement. There comes a certain point where you draw the line.
When a Legendary drops I see it but hardley hear it. Have you guys talked about adding a slider for the Audio just for legendaries so if I wanted to music and the other sound effects lower besides the Legendaries I would be able to do so. The idea is when a Legendary falls i want to see it, hear it and feel it!!. A lot of us has amazing sound systerms hooked up to our computers and it would be nice for a sound effect like the legenady drop that would be louder then the rest of the game system, thanks .
03/20/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Alex
please if you make possible to put a socket into items. Make those items ccount bound. PLEASE

I think this would work, that way you aren't doing it for profit but it greatly benefits the player and it opens up the options to use different weapons.

I am baffled at the DEV team for refusing to allow us to socket items (via whatever method they seem necessary...gold sink, some "new UBERS" I don't care at this point).

I just want my Immortal King Boulder Breaker with 1600+ DPS, 100 CD, and 5 HOTA reduction to actually be freaking viable MP10 option versus a well rolled SKORN...but alas it would be "too much of a chore" according to Mr Cheng and crew.
When a Legendary drops I see it but hardley hear it. Have you guys talked about adding a slider for the Audio just for legendaries so if I wanted to music and the other sound effects lower besides the Legendaries I would be able to do so. The idea is when a Legendary falls i want to see it, hear it and feel it!!. A lot of us has amazing sound systerms hooked up to our computers and it would be nice for a sound effect like the legenady drop that would be louder then the rest of the game system, thanks
please tell me im not the only one who started reading last months responses because the link on the latest blog forwarded me there.... took me 10mins to figure it out..fml
It takes 1 week to respond to 6 questions and they want to spread it out to "multiple weeks" just to stall for time?
And Travis Day shows his true, toe the line, colors.

Pathetic answers to pathetic questions.

Stop doing Q&A's they are a waste of time.

PATHETIC.
03/20/2013 03:17 PMPosted by kukabuka
WHAT ARE THE ODDS PART 2 IS 10X LONGER THAN PART 1?

watch out for that Rng
Like I keep saying Blizzard is out of ideas. I'm so glad I have PoE. I think we're done here.

/throws in the towel
Like I keep saying Blizzard is out of ideas. I'm so glad I have PoE. I think we're done here.

/throws in the towel

You're probably not giving your items away, but if you do, you know where to ring.

I wonder when is part 2. We got some information out of part 1, but it's not satisfying enough! We require more minerals!
If they're looking into allowing Leoric's signet to roll more XP, it looks like they're looking into making other items roll higher stats as well.This makes me think that it won't be 1% crit, and more like 6-9%.

Check lamentation or Inna's Favor. The max crit chance roll is 1% on those lvl63 items. The max crit chance roll is 1% on belts. That belt will be good, but not godlike.
03/20/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
All of these systems have their positives and negatives, so we want to make sure we make the right choice and consider all other changes we plan on making before deciding which systems we want to implement.

It's evident that Blizzards approach to creative game mechanics is ALL trial and error. Too bad you don't just take the information that people are giving you on the forums and utilizing it instead of following the words of the dinosaur game designers that you've hired that obviously, seemingly on purpose, DON'T get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H309NrwvIs#t=1m56s

The music queues no reaction. No outbursts of excitement.

It ends with polite applause.

D3 is a game some people still play and no one is particularly excited by.

"We're possibly considering some changes we talk about a lot at the office..." is not going to change that. Quarterly patches bringing in things the game should have shipped with won't either.

I want to be excited by this game or I wouldn't even post. This expectation seems too high for Blizzard to meet. Certainly for today anyways, but I'll continue towards p100 just in case something interesting happens.
Please don't implement item customization if it means making the items bound on account. Unless you implement it in a way so it's possible to undo the customization (for a cost) so the items are back to not being bound anymore, back to the way they were found. That way it's possible to customize your items and trade those items when you don't need them anymore.

Any way you do it... please don't make us overpowered. Item customization makes everyone more powerful thus making the game easier unless you increase the challenge somehow. Hmm... maybe the increase in monster density does the job.
Blizzard, the ideas are there for you. This is the time to step up and implement the ideas.

It is really demoralizing with the timid attitude towards change, and at the rate that you are fixing the game it shouldn't be surprising that many people are upset.

So far you have touched on some sensitive areas of itemization, but there are still more out there such as the pursuit of certain stats. I hope you adress these in future "parts."

/throws in the towel

Seriously, are you botting?

How on Earth you have the patience to play a 'boring' game to kill 1.5m trash to reach level p91

And you're playing PoE while leveling? You're super human or what?

If you grind that much, doesn't you gear anything legit?
You can't be like me right? I'm supposed to be the unluckiest player in this game.
Please don't implement item customization if it means making the items bound on account. Unless you implement it in a way so it's possible to undo the customization (for a cost) so the items are back to not being bound anymore, back to the way they were found. That way it's possible to customize your items and trade those items when you don't need them anymore.

Any way you do it... please don't make us overpowered. Item customization makes everyone more powerful thus making the game easier unless you increase the challenge somehow. Hmm... maybe the increase in monster density does the job.

Eh, how about you trade them before customizing? Let the buyers customize themselves.

How izzit a game when even customizing your own character's gears is a chore.

Restoring BOA item by unbinding is a good idea though =D