Rollback Policy Updated for the Americas and Europe

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
Isn't turning the entire account BoA kind of uber unfair ? Imagine someone gets his account hacked, when he gets it back he can't sell his super cool 500 Mil item which is useless because it's not for his character. Am I the only one to think this is kind of extreme ??

That's particularly bad since D3 revolves ENTIRELY around items. If an entire account is BoA, that means it could become impossible for such a player to rebuild his character because, thanks to Blizzard, chars do not exist without items. Blizzard is essentially condemning the player to stick to his build/character.

It's a hard punishment for a player who is a victim of an account hack already. It's a double punishment.

This sucks for legit players that needs a rollback. That means they can't sell/trade their items.

Agreed.

They could turn the service off all together, or simply said they do not do restores like every other game out there, or they could do this. It's a simple matter of downloading an auth on your phone if you have one for free, or spending a silly $6 to protect your account. If you can't do that, then you should be lucky that you get to keep your items.

If they didn't do this, the entire market would be dupes in another 6 months, and the game would be unplayable anyway. Really try to think about it here.

If you actually played the game, which you obviously don't, you'd also know that most people have more than one character. Not only that, but if you had a 500M item, it wouldn't be sitting in your inventory, you'd immediately put it up for sale if it wasn't of use to you. The only reason you wouldn't is if you have 10 other items up for sale each worth over 500M, in which case you don't need money.
Better not get hacked or your screwed
so about items pre april the 2nd
I have a duped manticore that I had no idea it was duped when I bought it. Will I be affected and not be able to sell it or does the policy only affect dupes created after April 2nd?
03/26/2013 03:01 PMPosted by BLKDRGN
I have a duped manticore that I had no idea it was duped when I bought it. Will I be affected and not be able to sell it or does the policy only affect dupes created after April 2nd?

I honestly wish they would just bind any duped items to the account they are currently on. With that said I highly doubt you will be affected.
03/26/2013 03:04 PMPosted by bwest86
I honestly wish they would just bind any duped items to the account they are currently on. With that said I highly doubt you will be affected.

you wish, but it is not justified on a broader perspective. thus a big nono and will never happen.

you wish, but it is not justified on a broader perspective. thus a big nono and will never happen.

It needs to happen because the items should of never even been available for trade/sell. Besides the only justification Blizzard needs is the terms and conditions you agreed to, which no doubt has a section basically saying any changes can be made at any time with or without your consent.
Its a good way to reduce dupes.....but also bad....say you spent Xbillion on an item.....and legitimately got hacked. Then you got rollback....ok now you wanna upgrade this item that you sent a heap on.....and you can only vendor it......thats a little upsetting.
so I cant re sale my mh that I paid over 500mil for

I didn't !@#$in dupe nor did I know it was dupe

wish a blue would confirm this im happy to return my weapon to owner for my 500mil back
Last December, we made some changes to our regional account rollback policy for players in our Asia region. We implemented this update to protect the in-game economy from the noted rise of false compromised account claims by players attempting to gain duplicate items.

This policy has proven very effective in helping reduce the number of duplicate items in the game while still allowing us to assist legitimately compromised players, and now we’re ready to roll it out for our Americas and European regions.

[What's Changing]

Starting on Tuesday, April 2, all character equipment including weapons and armor restored via the Diablo III rollback service will become bound to the restored account. This means restored items cannot be traded with other players or posted on the auction house, but that they can still be shared with other characters on the account and sold to merchant NPCs.

As always we are committed to continuing to monitor the overall health and economy of the game and make additional tweaks if necessary.

[Protecting Your Account]

Considering that the rollback service is intended to help players whose accounts have been compromised, we obviously wish that no one ever needed to use it. The best way to help protect yourself from account compromise is to secure your PC and Battle.net account, for example by adding a Battle.net Authenticator. While no security measure is completely foolproof, we've often found that many accounts are compromised a second time simply because players do not take any action to protect themselves after being compromised the first time.

To learn more about the Battle.net Authenticator and some best practices for securing your PC against viruses and malware, check out the links below.

• [url="http://us.battle.net/en/security/"]Battle.net Account Security Website[/url]
  • [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457498"]Secure Your Gear With the Battle.net Authenticator[/url]
  • [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6SytPikDM&feature=youtu.be"]Account Security: General Tips[/url]

Glad your finally doing something about http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197590280
What do they mean by "All character equipment" ? does it affect every items on the character + the stash or only the character ?
03/26/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Mist3rHyde
What do they mean by "All character equipment" ? does it affect every items on the character + the stash or only the character ?

Everything on the account is the logical answer. Seriously though if anyone gets upset about this the simple answer is this. Don't be stupid, use an authenticator. Don't go to suspicious sites ect.
03/26/2013 03:13 PMPosted by FallenSouls
It needs to happen because the items should of never even been available for trade/sell. Besides the only justification Blizzard needs is the terms and conditions you agreed to, which no doubt has a section basically saying any changes can be made at any time with or without your consent.

like i said it is not justified on the broader perspective and you want it to be implemented to also punish legit players to "get back" at them.

that was the past, now with this system there is absolutely no need to. it is just sickening to the stomache to meet such people brimming with unwarranted hatred.

it's up to u to believe or not, but blizz being the smarter team here, will know what is the right course of action.
I don't really know how the duping process works with rollback but why can't they just rollback without it duping items? When I recover data that I accidentally deleted I don't get two files back.
I assume the dupe also worked with gold, and will probably work in the future. Which is the real reason the economy is hurting. Imagine 100bil gold getting duped over and over again. No wonder gold is worth next to nothing now and prices all around are inflated.

IMO under no circumstances should gold be restored. If you lost access to your account that is on you. If you can't take precautions to secure your account you deserve to lose everything.
03/26/2013 03:53 PMPosted by BLKDRGN
I don't really know how the duping process works with rollback but why can't they just rollback without it duping items? When I recover data that I accidentally deleted I don't get two files back.

When they do a rollback of your account, they revisit the last database backup and restore your account from there. In a duplication process, you get another account - probably someone you know - and stash your items there and then report your account was tampered with.

Thus you get two copies of the same item when they do the rollback.

I am skeptical but will not be surprised if there is a form of duping which allows people to indefinitely copy items. The key is that the dupers must identify the process in which new items are created and replicate that with their own code.
Great news. I would say it will only affect items going forward