Bring back the Skill Tree please

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
I'll make it as simple as possible

Q. What is skill tree?
A. The "skill tree" is eventually a concept of ability accumulating system that can be traversed differently by characters and choices, and is not necessarily a tree.

Q. Why skill tree?
A. It is one of the forms of customization a RPG should provide. Without customization, an ARPG is eventually an Action game and is why some felt Diablo 3 lacked something important comparing to its prequels - because it has near to none RPG elements. (If I wanted to play an action game, DMC and GoW are definitely better, you know what I mean, there are too many better choices.)

Q: Why full respec or skill pool is bad?
A: Full respec means you can always choose the best leveling build, ignoring the risks of making bad decisions that fail your characters midway. Did you ever feel the first 3 difficulties are boring and unnecessary? It is because they only serve the purpose of unlocking skills in the pool. A better model is you make decisions to accumulate your power, then test them in well tuned difficulties to see the pros and cons, and fix your build without falling off the final ideal character. If you make enough bad choices to stuck in Nightmare, then it is your own fault. Otherwise, we don't need so many difficulties, one is enough, we unlock everything without choices anyways.

Q: But isn't it stupid to reroll just for trying a new skill?
A: Reroll is not as bad as you think when you can have fun in the process instead of rushing from 0 to 60 mindlessly.

This is not a troll post. Anunnaki#3684 is my profile.
--

Q: After some while, all superior builds will be created, players will just copy from the Internet, if the tree and decisions will finally become redundant, why should there be a tree?

A: What you eat will finally become poops, then why do you eat tasty foods? Because even eating for nutrition can be entertaining, not to mention we are playing a game. To be realistic, Diablo 3 is not a subscription based game that is meant to be expanded and played forever. It will go to an end like every other game, what really matters is whether the players quit with smiles on their faces and whether they will pre-order your next title for the good old experiences and respect, like what we had in other Blizzard games.
They won't. They want idiots to be able to play around with random abilities until something clicks; Instead of actually thinking and mapping out where you want to go on a skill tree.

Too many scrubs made characters without putting any thought into them and rage when they can't clear nightmare and have to start a new character.

Think of D3 as a Michael Bay movie, cheap thrills.
People who really think that their ability to use skill trees is proof of their IQ.
03/26/2013 09:01 PMPosted by vexorian
People who really think that their ability to use skill trees is proof of their IQ.

3D CGI explosions! Gimme Gimme Gimme! Thought provoking entertainment is P.U.
Thanks for the bump!

Q: After some while, all superior builds will be created, players will just copy from the Internet, if the tree and decisions will finally become redundant, why should there be a tree?

A: What you eat will finally become poops, then why do you eat tasty foods? Because even eating for nutrition can be entertaining, not to mention we are playing a game. To be realistic, Diablo 3 is not a subscription based game that is meant to be expanded and played forever. It will go to an end like every other game, what really matters is whether the players quit with smiles on their faces and whether they will pre-order your next title for the good old experiences and respect, like what we had in other Blizzard games.

If you agree to the concept, feel free to add your own thoughts.
Do people who ask for stuff like skill trees and offline mode have some sort of mental defect? There is absolutely ZERO chance devs will implement these things so why keep asking for it?
Because the chance is ZERO, thus is worthy of promoting.

And if we keep asking for it, they may implement it in the expansion set.
At this point, skill trees would just be another unnecessary component adding complexity just for the sake of being complex. There will always be a mathematically superior way to level skills when it is tested thoroughly, and people would copy these builds verbatim. Sure there would be some deviations to these builds, but the absolute best players will still be using the same skill setup, not unlike what we have now.
What does a skill tree do?

Gives players the impression that they have control over how their chosen character progresses through the game. You could add enough content so there's 1,000 possible build choices to players. It doesn't change the fact that there's only 3 or 4 builds that are viable.

That is what is wrong with a skill tree.

So are players actually stupid enough to think a skill tree is a good thing or if they actually thought about what it really means & how it works. Do you think they may actually understand how pointless it is.
agreed with OP, like the writing too.
skill tree or not, an ARPG needs some sort of character customization, and not only cosmetic, in order to meet the ARPG genre.
What's wrong with thinking through a unique build with the system as it is right now, and sticking to it?
All without the hassle of having to arbitrarily respec or start a new character if you mis-click once.

It's not like someone forces you to use 18 different builds per hour. This system actually promotes diversity, because you can try out new things without fear of destroying your character.

Edit:
Also: you can adapt your builds to your play style and different situations in the game. How is that not awesome-balls?
@Blade I've replied to that already, about what is pointless and why we do pointless things like turning delicious cakes into poops.

To solve the problem, they can release a skill tree version of game, and in perhaps 2 years allow us to full respec, the 2 year time depends on the complexity of the tree and itemization.
If it feels "pointless", then Diablo 3 might not be the game for you, and I don't even mean that in an insulting way.
03/27/2013 05:04 AMPosted by Hankst
If it feels "pointless", then Diablo 3 might not be the game for you, and I don't even mean that in an insulting way.

What I was saying was some people may think when there exists only 3 or 4 ultimate builds, the entire tree and customization thing can be pointless. And my point of view is it maybe pointless after a certain time, but it is entertaining.
i think skill tree made characters unique i like the way you can change yours skills but all cm wizes sacrafice wds ww/sprint barbs and monks looks a like
^You mean like Hammerdins / Throawzons / Frenzy Barbs / Trapsins / Orb Sorcs?
They won't. They want idiots to be able to play around with random abilities until something clicks; Instead of actually thinking and mapping out where you want to go on a skill tree.

Too many scrubs made characters without putting any thought into them and rage when they can't clear nightmare and have to start a new character.

Think of D3 as a Michael Bay movie, cheap thrills.

lol I had unlimited ability to reroll in D2. Map as you may in d2 at the end of the day it was max skill, max it's synergies. In D3 many say the skills are lacking. Why because they can't faceroll the levels they want like they could in D2.

lol Sad that in D3 you may actually have to play to be able to get through the game. Shame on Blizzard. I am working on a throwing barb. Now I need to try different skills. For example will Brawler enhance my ancient spear or will they die before I can fully use the passive.
In D2 you only had to follow the formula max skill max it;s synergies.

Who knows I may even have to drop a wall or a candelabra on the mobs before i kill them.
I'll make it as simple as possible.

Q: While you enjoy rerolling chars 100 times just to try out that wacky build, or because you misplaced a point, do people actually exist that dislike this system?

A: Yes.

Q: Why?

A: A variety of reasons. Some people cant be bothered to play the same thing 100x over. That is why rushing and powerlvling exist. Some people dont have the time. Some people, dont want all the progress theyve spent on one char (plvls) to be "wasted". Whatever the reason, I think we can look at D2 and see the myriad of rush/run games.

Q: But I thought it was fun to try out new builds while lvling.

A: Thats not a question.

Q: Don't other people find it fun to lvl a new build?

A: OMG its so exciting to re-roll a char and do tomb/trav/baal runs and then some more baal runs in nm and hell with my new unique build that doesnt actually matter because the game was roflstomp easy with 8 players.

So yea I think they just looked at that and said hey, wouldn't it be cool if players weren't forced to exploit ubers exp to go 1-80 in 2 h everytime they wanted to try a new skill.
Please, make it stop.
...you guys keep missing the point by focusing on skill tree and D2: where is character customization in D3?
Not only the devs removed the skill tree (that and other things that were certainly not perfect in D2), but they just removed the all character customization concept.
Consequence: no feeling of attachment to the avatar, and leveling has no flavor; the purpose of it from 1 to 60 is to unlock the skills, nothing more than a tutorial. Parangon lvling slowly gives more power but no excitement.

For a pure action games the leveling mechanic might as well be removed. But for a franchise that shares some kind of RPG/ARPG culture, it feels something is missing.