"1 million players daily, around 3 million a month"

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 22 Next
Most of the "25%" has hung around hoping for changes, improvements, and PvP that Blizzard promised, that Blizzard has (yet) to deliver on. Hmmm, or maybe I'm wrong and they're bots. Either way, it is sad to only have 25% retention for a game with almost zero respectable story line (not counting easter eggs or hidden have to search for it story, that's actually pretty ok)...If the game were all story-based, I'd understand why people would play it once and not play it again (unless it is like a multiple choice adventure story).

Do you know that 90% of all gamers never finish their games? Or that that games that have longer time commitments are more likely to be abandoned?

D3 has a repetitive single player campaign that basically can never be finished and no competitive multiplayer. So in light of that and the nature of gaming today, 25% of players still playing is phenomenal.
Of 9 of us who started at day one, only 2 are still playing, 3 every so often, the rest have not been seen for months.
03/31/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Eribuss
the rest have not been seen for months.

Did you file a missing person report?

*ba dum tish*
Measuring the player base to justify how good this game is, is enough proof for me that this game is suffering.
Do you know that 90% of all gamers never finish their games? Or that that games that have longer time commitments are more likely to be abandoned?

D3 has a repetitive single player campaign that basically can never be finished and no competitive multiplayer. So in light of that and the nature of gaming today, 25% of players still playing is phenomenal.

what the !**!*** r u talking abt, when I beat diablo 3 on normal the credits rolled. Game Beaten. Oh my god, what are you smoking?
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/29/diablo-3-auction-house-jay-wilson/

So much for claims that Diablo 3 is dying.

The last 3 weeks I've logged on a couple times to Diablo, but I haven't even logged onto the game and literally played.. There's no point, because I'm sure I won't get lucky enough to get something worth the time spent :)

It makes perfect sense. The 1 million per day means 1 million unique players per day, and the 3 million per month means 3 million unique players per month.

Of the 3 million players per month, 1/3rd of them, on average, logs in per day.

It's not that hard to figure out...

ROFL!

Someone didn't graduate highschool.

Do you know how many days there are in a month? If you have 1 million unique players per day, and you have 30 days in a month, how many unique players do you have at the end of the month, 3 million, or 30million?

Are you f**king stupid? You really don't need a high school education to understand this. Most people play the game more than one day out of a month, Meaning if there's a million unique players on one day, and a million on the next (sticking with the average, keeping things simple, so your slow mind can keep up), then it's a fair assumption that maybe 700k of the players from the day before are now playing this next day, while 300k of them didn't play the day before (70% carryover per day). On the 3rd day you have maybe 60% of the original day playing for all 3 days, 70% playing day 2 and 3, so you've accounted for 600k+210k players, meaning 810 are returning players and 190k are playing for the first time this month. The math gets a bit more complicated the further you go out with players skipping days and playing again, but you're seeing the total unique players starting off with 1 mil on day 1, going up to 1.3mil by day 2, 1.49mil by day 3, and continuing to slow down until there are 3mil players who played at least once in that month, though most of them most likely played several times that month, or even most days of the month.

tl;dr: Each day isn't 1 million totally new players, it's 1 million unique players for that given day. 3mil a month makes total sense. 30mil a month would only work if everyone only played once a month.
03/30/2013 09:16 PMPosted by HachiKumo
Ever notice how trade channels have a number at the end? That means there's more than one. Try relogging and seeing yourself in another one.

Is there really a point in relogging and seeing whether there's more than one trade channels?

Do you mean to say there's few thousands channel out there with about average of 30 people in it?

Blizzard did this for us, so that we can relogging one by one at one time to look for traders?

Most of the channels have like 70-90 people in them actually, but I agree the way to change through them (relog) is flawed. Then again, nobody's hailed Blizzard's D3 social integration as groundbreaking. I'd rather have the old D2 style chat rooms as well.
I like pizza
That's like 8% of the copies still being used, CONGRATS!

You sold 12 milion copies based on D2 popularity, yet you couldn't keep the players even for half year :)

Furthermore - 3rd party sites, ebay etc are overwhelmed with gold. Even today they manage to sell EVEN MORE gold at the same price so I think at least one milion (of the 3 milions that still occasionaly play the game) are bots.

Thrieve in glory, JW :)

EDIT: Blizzard doesn't give a F*** if you like the RMAH, or not - they made tons of money. The game is just bad and has really low replayability - people who want to would buy stuff on ebay anyway.
D3 is in the top 5 most played game world wide. D3 is the same game as D2, we just have been playing D2 for so long that we are just so used to play D2 all the time and it has been a long time sense a new diablo game comes out and for those people that can't see that then you guys are just so stupid it not even funny anymore.

ROFL!

Someone didn't graduate highschool.

Do you know how many days there are in a month? If you have 1 million unique players per day, and you have 30 days in a month, how many unique players do you have at the end of the month, 3 million, or 30million?

Are you f**king stupid? You really don't need a high school education to understand this. Most people play the game more than one day out of a month, Meaning if there's a million unique players on one day, and a million on the next (sticking with the average, keeping things simple, so your slow mind can keep up), then it's a fair assumption that maybe 700k of the players from the day before are now playing this next day, while 300k of them didn't play the day before (70% carryover per day). On the 3rd day you have maybe 60% of the original day playing for all 3 days, 70% playing day 2 and 3, so you've accounted for 600k+210k players, meaning 810 are returning players and 190k are playing for the first time this month. The math gets a bit more complicated the further you go out with players skipping days and playing again, but you're seeing the total unique players starting off with 1 mil on day 1, going up to 1.3mil by day 2, 1.49mil by day 3, and continuing to slow down until there are 3mil players who played at least once in that month, though most of them most likely played several times that month, or even most days of the month.

tl;dr: Each day isn't 1 million totally new players, it's 1 million unique players for that given day. 3mil a month makes total sense. 30mil a month would only work if everyone only played once a month.

Or to make it a little more simple:

No matter what, I am included in the 3mil players each month since I play at least once a month.
I am included in the 1mil players today, because I played.
I was included in the 1mil players yesterday, because I played.
I wont be included in the 1mil players tomorrow because I wont play.

My neighbor plays everyday, therefore, he is included in both the 3mil players each month (since he plays once or more per month) as well as the 1mil players everyday since he plays everyday.

Bottom line, you have 3mil different players on Diablo per month, from whom 1mil random players play everyday. Those 1mil different players change everyday, but are always taken from the 3mil sample.

Hope it helps :)

EDIT: Grammar.
lol u guys retarted? can't do simple math? Last I checked, 1 million * 30 = 30 million (try it out on the calculator)
03/31/2013 02:13 AMPosted by Krine
lol u guys retarted? can't do simple math? Last I checked, 1 million * 30 = 30 million (try it out on the calculator)

Lets try it like that then...

Buy 3 different types of fruits per month (apple, banana, orange) and I eat 1 different one everyday:

Monday: Apple
Tuesday: Banana
Wednesday: Orange
Thursday: Apple

Easier for you to understand? Now multiply by 1mil and you have the number in OP.
03/31/2013 02:13 AMPosted by Krine

Yeah, 1 million * 30 = 30 million. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on here, and I've explained why. At this point I'm forced to assume you're just trolling. Or incurably stupid - I don't judge.
Who the f*ck cares how many players still play this game. I played megaman X on my snes last week because It makes me happy
03/29/2013 12:51 PMPosted by MountainMan
So much for claims that Diablo 3 is dying.

I suppose that is true if you are saying that they no longer have to claim it since it is now proven! :-P
I guess everyone missed the part of article that actually explained the numbers. The claim was not that 1 million daily/3 million monthly play Diablo 3, it was that 1 million daily/3 million monthly utilize the Auction House.

I usually vendor all my bleh items and trade decent items with friends, I'm not part of the 1 million daily/3 million monthly Auction House users on most every month with rare exceptions. My wife on the other hand uses the Auction House daily, my son never does. So, at least in this house hold, we have a 66% skew to players who play who are not counted in those numbers.

Just some food for thought.
hmmm strange...jay wilson says the auction houses ruined the game and everyone accuses him of scapegoating to cover up for his own failures, but then they take his word as gospel when he says millions of people are still playing.

i don't get it.....