Now that Blizz admitted AH is not best idea...

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Let's get down to bussiness of how to fix this without taking away feature many people got used to but still making those who do not want AH happy

What I am proposing, is creating simple check-box like with hardcore, when you create character. You would simply tick AH Character on and off. And what to do with old characters? Allow one time only switch for them.

But now, how to motivate people into playing without AH, if they can play with it and buy eq? You have to hang the carrot on a stick little closer to their nose. So what if, for example, all non-AH characters got flat passive magic find bonus, let's say at least 75% so it will make huge impact right of the bat.

And one last thing, I would leave commodity functionality of AH on for all characters, since trading gems have become really pivotal and biggest achievement in terms of AH being good for a game.

I am sure this would not be that difficult to implement in future patches and would really propel the game in new direction and give many people reason to come back.
Announce a date where it will be removed and implement the trade system on the console. A new ladder in addition would be amazing.
Hi All,

The AH is there to allow people to get items that they dont normally happen to pick up, it serves a purpose.

Thanks

Lap Chi
*Asia Server #3850
I'm not on board with fragmenting the already small player base.

TBH, I think Blizzard is wrong about the AH. The AH really is not the problem. I know this because every game without an AH will end up with a user-run website that hosts a price list for items. Then the community adopts it as law and trades are conducted in online forums. Case in point: D2JSP. This is no different than an AH.

The problem here is that there are no ladder resets, so as players get richer and richer, they end up with near perfect gear and then have nothing left to upgrade. They either stop playing or continue to stockpile enormous amounts of gold.

Jay Wilson's quote about the AH hurting the game is just another example of how ignorant he is about this game. He really has no idea how to design a Diablo game.
No clue how AH can hurt this game, unless it's gear envy from people who won't use it expecting to be geared just like those who do.

Choose the game you want to play and have fun. We don't need a check box turning it off per player, that's silly...
03/29/2013 10:38 AMPosted by turnstiled
Mind-boggling how few people are asking for an option to play without the AH, vs. the ones calling to wipe everyone's progress from the past year, just to suit their personal desires.

To be clear: A ladder reset is NOT a character wipe. Characters are moved from ladder to non-ladder at the end of the ladder season. They can still be played, forever and ever.
The RMAH turned a game into a full time job for some, and made Bots so rampant I think 2/3 of the active players are really bots.
03/29/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Beefpile
Mind-boggling how few people are asking for an option to play without the AH, vs. the ones calling to wipe everyone's progress from the past year, just to suit their personal desires.

To be clear: A ladder reset is NOT a character wipe. Characters are moved from ladder to non-ladder at the end of the ladder season. They can still be played, forever and ever.

Never said anything about a character-wipe.
Nah,

No band-aid flat MF fixes. Fix the base chances instead and bring them in line with D2.
Remove the MF cap also. This just made itemization even worse.
People use to have choice between something with MF even if it was missing one of the key affixes like CD. Now, there is no choice, its either has all the key affixes or its junky.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8508000855?page=15#297

Heres an earlier post of mine where I try math and how blizzard adjusted drop rates based on AH/RMAH.
No clue how AH can hurt this game, unless it's gear envy from people who won't use it expecting to be geared just like those who do.

Choose the game you want to play and have fun. We don't need a check box turning it off per player, that's silly...

It has hurt the game big time, since Blizzard set drop rates really low because of the AH. They expect people to go to the Gold AH to get upgrade gear or farm for days to get one upgrade. The second problem is the Real Money AH, if basically killed the Gold AH, making people pay real money for upgrades.
So now your choices are to:
1) Pay real money for upgraded gear.
2) Farm for god awful amounts of hours (were talking at least 10 times as long as in D2) for upgraded gear.
3) Quit playing D3

Most people who bought the game or got it free from the Annual Pass have picked option 3. Blizzard has stated that they sold 12 million copies of D3 (this is world wide), only 3 Million play in any given month. Now lets play the optimist and say that only 1/2 are bots thats 1.5 million playing world wide. Likely only a few hundred thousand in the US if that.
it is not the AH that got the problem.
it is that the dropping is based on AH, this is the problem.
for example, the dropped item level during 1-60 runs always has lower level than you needed that time, this tells us that, the whole dropping mechanism is to encourage players to exchange items, instead of encouraging players "self found".
one more example, in A1, when you are at less than level 20, you can hardly buy items suit for your level in the NPC store, however, when you reach A2, you found in the NPC store, there are items suit for your level when you are at A1, this is one thing tells us that Blizzard design the game to encourage people to use AH.

yeah, again, AH is not the problem, the dropping mechanism based on AH is the problem.
these two are distinguishably different. AH will always be there, hosted by Blizzard or not.
however, the dropping mechanism based on AH will make the gaming experience very unrewarding, eventually, player will lost the pleasure of playing it.
03/29/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Jacara
The RMAH turned a game into a full time job for some, and made Bots so rampant I think 2/3 of the active players are really bots.

I see how incentivizing people to bot, which is hard to crack down on, could have a negative effect on gameplay and the economy.

Maybe allowing people to buy gold in the GAH and eliminating RMAH would help.

Did Blizz specifically say the RMAH hurt the game, or did they refer to the Auction House to imply either one? The GAH is a way to trade gear and pay for repairs, crafting mats, etc. It hurts no one.
03/29/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Bullfrog

I see how incentivizing people to bot, which is hard to crack down on, could have a negative effect on gameplay and the economy.

Maybe allowing people to buy gold in the GAH and eliminating RMAH would help.

Did Blizz specifically say the RMAH hurt the game, or did they refer to the Auction House to imply either one? The GAH is a way to trade gear and pay for repairs, crafting mats, etc. It hurts no one.

The lead Game Designer stated in a interview.
03/29/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Jacara
It has hurt the game big time, since Blizzard set drop rates really low because of the AH.

So, bad game design hurt the game, not the AH itself. If they had included the GAH and not tweaked drop rates to penalize self-found players we would all be fine. User on either side would have what they want.

I have been self-found since I started playing and only recently did some GAH upgrades because I had a bunch of gold and I have less time to play and I wanted to be able to get through elites without dying 3 times.

So both styles of play worked for me to a degree. In higher difficulties, I have less confidence that the occasional gear trade in the AH isn't necessary.
03/29/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Bullfrog
It has hurt the game big time, since Blizzard set drop rates really low because of the AH.

So, bad game design hurt the game, not the AH itself. If they had included the GAH and not tweaked drop rates to penalize self-found players we would all be fine. User on either side would have what they want.

I have been self-found since I started playing and only recently did some GAH upgrades because I had a bunch of gold and I have less time to play and I wanted to be able to get through elites without dying 3 times.

So both styles of play worked for me to a degree. In higher difficulties, I have less confidence that the occasional gear trade in the AH isn't necessary.

Basically yeah, the AH its self isn't the problem (other than the RMAH, which was a really bad idea to start with) its the fact they made the drop rates reliant on people using the AH.
Why not just add a no AH mode for those who don't want one? Don't ruin a great part of the game to suit less than half the game's population.

Also, AH and RMAH didn't hurt the game. The having farm for months on end to try to find one slight upgrade making people feel they HAVE to use it and having to farm act 3 or vaults of assassin in act 2 over and over because there's no other good place to farm it is what hurt the game.
Heres some info about Jay Wilson's interview:

http://techland.time.com/2013/03/28/diablo-3-director-admits-auction-houses-really-hurt-game/