Softcore is fail... Hardcore is the way to go!

General Discussion
It's not a game unless you can lose :)

And the market in hardcore is truly amazing. I've geared both my characters 100% legit. No gold buying, no gold transferring, and no item flipping. Just selling found items.

Never going back to softcore.

Tips for those thinking about making the change
  • Look into a wired connection. Stability is key
  • Play with friends. If you do dc/lag, they can save your life. I've had my character saved because of it
  • Survivability is your friend. Mitigation, vitality, and general survivability will go a long way to making the journey last. Just don't neglect that dps!
  • Don't rush it. Take your time and get it right
  • 04/09/2013 08:32 AMPosted by jonclau
    im sorry to tell you this but it requires the same amount of skill to play hc as it does sc.. and this game requires barely any skill

While kind of true... what it really requires is a different mindset.

Rather than charge head first into battle without gauging the situation first, you force players to look at the enemy and affixes.

In hardcore:
    Elite pack with Vortex and Arcane/Plagued? Better hide behind some walls/corners.
    Elite pack spammed a Frozen? Run to an open spot.
    Elite pack with Waller and Desecrator? Better keep Serenity open in case Waller is spammed on your hero.
    Elite pack of Mallet Lords and you're a melee character? Better run away if your mitigation is low.

In softcore:
    Elite pack with Vortex and Arcane/Plagued? Didn't notice. Fight on.
    Elite pack spammed a Frozen? Didn't notice. Fight on.
    Elite pack with Waller and Desecrator? Didn't notice. Fight on.
    Elite pack of Mallet Lords and you're a melee character? Didn't notice. Fight on.

yes all it requires is that you are more careful with what you are doing and stack more vit.. i run around with 15k hp and can get 3 shotted if im not careful because i use force armor.. that being said i run aroudn wrecklessly and dont even pay attention yet i still barely ever die on mp7.. if i actually wanted to never die i could get 40-50k hp easily and do mp7 with no effort.

in conclusion, this game is easy and hardcore is easy too you just have to stack more vit, not be completely terrible, and hope you dont lag or get disconnected!
    yes all it requires is that you are more careful with what you are doing and stack more vit.. i run around with 15k hp and can get 3 shotted if im not careful because i use force armor.. that being said i run aroudn wrecklessly and dont even pay attention yet i still barely ever die on mp7.. if i actually wanted to never die i could get 40-50k hp easily and do mp7 with no effort.

in conclusion, this game is easy and hardcore is easy too you just have to stack more vit, not be completely terrible, and hope you dont lag or get disconnected!

If it was so easy for a wiz, why are there only 31 P100 wizards in the world? Only 7 in the americas?

It's different in softcore because of the availability of items. In hardcore, you have a limited selection at any given time because of the death gear sink. Something that's a brim in softcore can sell for 30m in hardcore. There's a discrepancy in supply.

I recommend rolling a hardcore character just to take a look around on the AH. Prices are so wildly different that it's damn near a culture shock.
    Softcore is fail.... Hardcore is the way to go.... a lot more fun and you actually have to have skill to play and you focus on a lot more then damage only. There is no Rmah either, yes if you have bad connection you wont make it anyway but this will be fixed soon by blizzard well atleast it was mentioned, I my self have lost 2 chars to connection but that's ok... only makes you work harder next time around. In hardcore your fun stays a lot longer then it does in softcore.

A lot less Credit card accounts on hardcore then there is on softcore and I like to play legit without using real money so hc fits me right.

HC>SC all day long, thoughts?

wow another fail post , oh yes i want to work for a long time in HC to die to a glitch or stupid mistake and start over , which will happen eventually,an oh ya more skill ? LMAO d3 takes no skill at all to play.game is way to easy.
    credit cards did not ruin the game, the dupers and botters did.

And gl playing HC keeping your char alive while getting 3007 errors.
    If I could play offline, maybe.
    Why not both?
    I like to get completely blitzed on !@#$%^-*! and play Diablo 3, probably not a good idea to do that then try and play hardcore. I make a lot of mistakes and zone out a lot and die, but darn it I have a good time.
    The only reason I don't agree = Lag.

EVERY TIME I join a game WITHOUT fail the first pack of monsters ALWAYS lags and I die or come close to death.

Unfortunately I'm not HC compatible with that issue.
    I just started an HC char, and it is the bees knees. Just try it. Roll a Barb if you're scurred :).

I also said I'd never do HC because of disconnects, etc., but the experience has been amazing. I feel like HC is the real D3. Softcore is ruined because death means nothing, so gearing choices have no complexity. Go for DPS. To wit, emeralds dominate the price of SC and amethysts HC. Item economy of Softcore is utter crap because of botters. They aren't that much of a problem in HC :). Seriously, visit the HC AH. Have a look.
    It's not a game unless you can lose :)And the market in hardcore is truly amazing. I've geared both my characters 100% legit. No gold buying, no gold transferring, and no item flipping. Just selling found items.Never going back to softcore.Tips for those thinking about making the changeLook into a wired connection. Stability is keyPlay with friends. If you do dc/lag, they can save your life. I've had my character saved because of itSurvivability is your friend. Mitigation, vitality, and general survivability will go a long way to making the journey last. Just don't neglect that dps!Don't rush it. Take your time and get it right

Right, same here all 100% legit although I do flip some items and that's totally legal.

In hardcore you are inspired to play with friends more often and especially after 1.0.8 is live where as in softcore it feels like more efficient to solo because you can do what you want even after 1.0.8 is live.

Every item in hardcore is valued and keeps its value, for example a mempo that's worthless in softcore is worth atleast 25-50 mill in hardcore. Some mempos without C.C. are being soled for hundreds of millions.

Hc just keeps the fun longer for you gaming D3 and you can even PvP without loosing chars and if you do decide to try out HC and your having a bad connection I suggest you find some friends who you can game with because they save lifes if you happen to disconnect. Anyway Blizzard is looking into this issue on how to fix deaths due to disconnects, stay tuned.

Want a new adventure and challenge?? Walk the corrupted earth with a hardcore character and fight the forces of evil~~

-NeLLy
    I liked HC for a while, but losing a character is just such a huge setback. It is (was?) also very difficult to find mid level items on the AH, so I spent a lot of time grinding the previous act to make sure I was ready for the next one.
    Just started HC...
    It's just 10 times more exciting than SC mp 10 farming!

It totally bring back the feeling of the game... treasure every rare drop...
    That's fun I lost in SC for a long time...
    @Judicator ( I wish you luck on the next one if you decide to try again and btw that's smart the way you play it.)

@Luffy (Definently a lot more fun and exciting due to the thought any second can be your LAST!!)
    till blizzard finds some way to fix the lag issues hardcore is a failure. nothing wrong with getting killed because you screwed up. but getting killed because blizzard poorly coded there and it has load lag at times and server lags is a failure
    hardcore is the way to go. play smart and put thought into every item, skill and move ur toon makes and you will make it to 60. i cant explain how much more satisfaction i get from farming inferno on hardcore and making a strong character than i do on softcore. also all my 60s in hc are still alive and kicking (butts). i think a lot of people used to softcore go for pure damage and then get mad and say hardcore is stupid. server lag deaths are a problem that need to be dealt with though
    @Wobble, I agree.

Blizzard has announced that it will address the (Connection Death) Issue, but when? I don't know hopefully soon. I my self have lost 2x barbarians both around 150-200 worth characters so far but only made me try harder and have made a 3rd barbarian where I have grinded out 400 mill worth of items on her. My account 100% Legit never used real money and I like to stay that way because you keep your fun longer I think.