A returning player's frustration with the AH

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
Want to make money quick? Pick up all magic\rare\legendary items that are ilvl 60 or higher, salvage them, sell crafting mats. You will make a ton of gold just doing this, not to mention the gold and items you'll get from farming. This is what I have been doing since I came back a few weeks ago and I've made 14 mil. I know it's not much, and it's not even enough for me to afford an upgrade for my character, but it's definitely a steady stream of income and eventually I'll be able to buy that 1200 DPS main hand i'm looking for.
04/15/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Darmath
Want to make money quick? Pick up all magic\rare\legendary items that are ilvl 60 or higher, salvage them, sell crafting mats. You will make a ton of gold just doing this, not to mention the gold and items you'll get from farming. This is what I have been doing since I came back a few weeks ago and I've made 14 mil. I know it's not much, and it's not even enough for me to afford an upgrade for my character, but it's definitely a steady stream of income and eventually I'll be able to buy that 1200 DPS main hand i'm looking for.

It's more than what I've made trying to sell the items themselves. I'd like to use up the 120-something demonic essences I've found but I haven't found a cost effective method. I certainly can't afford to make marquise gems and it's too expensive to craft armor and weapons still. Just feels like a source of what could-be money is going to waste for no good reason.

I was able to make a little off of combining some gems I had lying around. But once again the startup costs of a gem business are a little out of reach right now.
a) There are tons of dirt cheap gear on the AH. Like literally thousands. I don't know what you're talking about.
b) You hardly play the game. I don't know why you expect to be making lots of gold.
c) Again, you don't play the game. You might want to try that first before flipping.
d) Searching the AH is child's play. If it's taking you an hour to search for one upgrade, you're doing something horribly horribly wrong.

I guess I have poor expectations. I've been playing the game a solid 4+ hours a day for the last month and haven't been able to make much from the rares that I've found. I just can't really spend much more time than that.

Searching the AH is stupidly inefficient. I completely disagree with you. Legendaries have affixes that can't be searched for simply because rare items in that slot don't roll that affix. You can't change item slots unless you delete the name of the unique item you were searching for. You can't sort by minimum bid. Pretty much every time I use the AH something that is unintuitive about it makes me frustrated.

My problem with rares is actually more of an annoyance from the fact that I just finished off hell on 3 different characters and finding gear at reasonable prices was very difficult. At level 60, decent gear is much cheaper than I've made it sound.
It's more than what I've made trying to sell the items themselves. I'd like to use up the 120-something demonic essences I've found but I haven't found a cost effective method. I certainly can't afford to make marquise gems and it's too expensive to craft armor and weapons still. Just feels like a source of what could-be money is going to waste for no good reason.

I was able to make a little off of combining some gems I had lying around. But once again the startup costs of a gem business are a little out of reach right now.

There was actually a post by one of the devs that said that they were looking to change the way items are crafted. That using white items and crafting mats would be the new system and would not cost any gold. This makes a lot more sense in my opinion, seeing as white items are COMPLETELY useless in the game in its current state.

Perhaps with the addition of the Mystic, we will see some interesting uses for white items and the crafting system overhaul should make crafting more fun and less expensive.

I hate to beat an old horse (or whatever that saying is), but I would really like to see the Horadric Cube back in the game like it was during the beta. Crafting items in Diablo 2 was AWESOME. I loved collecting the materials and rolling pairs of Blood gloves, looking for dual stat, crushing blow, attack speed, and high life. And this was not a monetary investment mind you, just a time investment. If Blizzard wants to keep people playing their game, they need to have more things like this rather than everything being a gold sink.

Time is something that is fairly easy to come by for everyone. Gold is not. Plain and simple.

There was actually a post by one of the devs that said that they were looking to change the way items are crafted. That using white items and crafting mats would be the new system and would not cost any gold. This makes a lot more sense in my opinion, seeing as white items are COMPLETELY useless in the game in its current state.

Perhaps with the addition of the Mystic, we will see some interesting uses for white items and the crafting system overhaul should make crafting more fun and less expensive.

I hate to beat an old horse (or whatever that saying is), but I would really like to see the Horadric Cube back in the game like it was during the beta. Crafting items in Diablo 2 was AWESOME. I loved collecting the materials and rolling pairs of Blood gloves, looking for dual stat, crushing blow, attack speed, and high life. And this was not a monetary investment mind you, just a time investment. If Blizzard wants to keep people playing their game, they need to have more things like this rather than everything being a gold sink.

Time is something that is fairly easy to come by for everyone. Gold is not. Plain and simple.

Thanks for the response. I like the way you've worded this. Because for me, the time investment in Diablo 3 is simply an investment in trying to get gold. And I suppose that is the fundamental root of the problem for me. If my time investment felt like it was leading me to directly improve my gear, I probably would be happier. As of yet, my characters at farming level are still using gear that was entirely bought on AH (with the exception of a belt that dropped last night).

I think your statement helped me understand my true frustration about D3 right now, which is that you can't progress in a reasonable amount of time without a crap-ton of gold. The allure of the AH being right there to speed up the process, but not being able to afford any upgrades once you've already bought the best introductory level gear you can find, is very frustrating. I'm not trying to be a whiner, though some people have responded in a way that makes me feel like I'm whining.

Excuse me everyone, while I suck it up and go farm for a while.
so basically you are saying that you don't have enough gold to buy things you want BUT

a.) you have not played for quite a while and just came back lately

b.) do not want to spend real money for purchases (im fine with this as i also do not use real money and all my gold are made from pickup and self found items sold in GAH)

and you somewhat blame AH for this? heck some of my friends who came back and with only a couple of million with them are actually happy that they can get really good gear (able to do mid MP levels in a reasonable fashion) for so little as to compared to where they were before. If you do not want to spend real money on this game, the only real solution is to put in the time to actually farm (believe me 2-3k elite kills is not even close to what you need). Real money aside, these kinds of games will always be a farm fest. More time playing = more resources gathered. You can complain RNG or what but in the end, chance will always favor those who spend more time. As for the new craftable items, the crafting price on them is reasonable enough even for "low tiered" players considering what they can give you. Take bracers and shoulders for example. Since you basically get to have at least a guaranteed 200 main stat of you choice, the only real thing you need to roll for a shoulder is AR to match the a vile ward (whose prices dropped so low anyways because of how easy it is to craft really good shoulders). Add in a crit chance for a bracer and you can easily beat the tens of millions valued high crit chance + main stat bracers out there for less gold. In the end, gaining gold without using real money will always necessitate patience and hard work. Put in the hours in game playing and actually killing stuff.
so basically you are saying that you don't have enough gold to buy things you want BUT

a.) you have not played for quite a while and just came back lately

b.) do not want to spend real money for purchases (im fine with this as i also do not use real money and all my gold are made from pickup and self found items sold in GAH)

and you somewhat blame AH for this? heck some of my friends who came back and with only a couple of million with them are actually happy that they can get really good gear (able to do mid MP levels in a reasonable fashion) for so little as to compared to where they were before. If you do not want to spend real money on this game, the only real solution is to put in the time to actually farm (believe me 2-3k elite kills is not even close to what you need). Real money aside, these kinds of games will always be a farm fest. More time playing = more resources gathered. You can complain RNG or what but in the end, chance will always favor those who spend more time. As for the new craftable items, the crafting price on them is reasonable enough even for "low tiered" players considering what they can give you. Take bracers and shoulders for example. Since you basically get to have at least a guaranteed 200 main stat of you choice, the only real thing you need to roll for a shoulder is AR to match the a vile ward (whose prices dropped so low anyways because of how easy it is to craft really good shoulders). Add in a crit chance for a bracer and you can easily beat the tens of millions valued high crit chance + main stat bracers out there for less gold. In the end, gaining gold without using real money will always necessitate patience and hard work. Put in the hours in game playing and actually killing stuff.

Thanks for the response, I'm definitely seeing the parts of my post that where my own misconceptions and expectations.

I think the AH searching topics should still be improved, but in general I am readjusting my expectations due to good posts like yours.
Don't use the AH. Keep your gold to craft yourself some gear.

I mean, the new crafting recipes. You can either farm for them, or buy them really cheap. Then, just focus on farming Demonic Essence and crafting materials!

You can probably get a few upgrades easily.
I didn't buy any AH items until I was well into Inferno with most of my chars. SO playing self found is viable BUT you need patience because you aren't going to progress very fast.

I started having less time to play, so I used some of the giant pile of gold I had collected to do some upgrades across all of my chars.

It wasn't THAT expensive. Yes, if you want godly gear that is the most popular then you will have to compete more with other buyers AKA pay through the nose (which I cannot do).

I recommend doing AH searches focusing on the affixes you want for the char you are gearing. If you leave the search open to rare items and not just legendaries you can do pretty well. My current characters didn't cost me hundreds of millions in gold to equip.

Best of luck and have fun!
04/15/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Darmath

I did some math and selling directly to vendors is more cost effective than salvaging and selling materials. It's faster as well. Assuming you average 1500-2000 gold to sell to vendor, you are getting more than what the AH pays for crafting materials.
I always set my max buyout to 50k/100k for budget gear. I'll never have the best gear but that's just how it is if I don't dedicate months of time farming.
Diablo is based on random luck and certainly I need to try harder to simply accept that.

This, I've got over 1000hrs and have never found an item worth over 100M gold, yet I see people who find 200,300, 500M gold items every day and they haven't even put in half the time that I have in game play. Lesson of the story...yes D3 is a cruel lottery ticket game, if you don't win the lottery of getting a BIS drop that you can sell and therefore buy the gear that you do want/need...your best bet is to invest in acquiring gold, buying and flipping yourself. yes it's risky (I've gotten burned, even once I had to eat 90+M gold on an EF flip that backfired)...but in the long run it's the only viable alternative if you want BIS type items (Mempo, WH, EF, Inna's whatever your character may need). I can honestly say I've bought things on the GaH for cheap and sold at the RMAH for double (the gold cost), then simply bought GEMS with that money and sold the GEMS off at the GaH for anywhere 30-50% profit (off my initial gold investment). It sure is a crappy way to ensure you have the funds to buy gear, but if you are as unlucky as I have been, it's about the only way (other than straight out buying gold).

Hope that helps...
More great responses, thanks everyone.
04/15/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Bullfrog

I did some math and selling directly to vendors is more cost effective than salvaging and selling materials. It's faster as well. Assuming you average 1500-2000 gold to sell to vendor, you are getting more than what the AH pays for crafting materials.

What are the average number of materials expected per salvage? Is there a website out there that has them?
04/15/2013 12:33 PMPosted by dreams81
did not read.

Agree, a wall of drivel from a guy that stopped playing a month after release.
04/15/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Supes
yes it's risky (I've gotten burned, even once I had to eat 90+M gold on an EF flip that backfired)...

I'm missing something here. So I'm imagining you bought an EF for ~150M and ended up only being able to sell it back for ~60M, or some similar numbers. That doesn't sound risky to me, that just sounds like a poor move. "Risky" would imply that you bought it for 150M and then hours later, Blizz put out a hotfix that reduced its worth to 60M by nerfing something or another.

I don't do any flipping so maybe I'm missing something, but if I were to flip, I'd look for items with a fair market value of X (based on comparable items) that was listed at less than 0.5*X. Then I'd buy and list at 0.9*X.

So I don't really understand how it's "risky" at all... If the value of the EF was greater than or equal to what you paid for it (which it must, definitionally, be, since you in fact paid that amount), then it seems unlikely that its value could have possible dropped at the rate you're implying.

Color me confused.
Try playing without the AH. Seriously. You'd be surprised how often this is suggested here to make the game fun again.