No Serenity? No Problem...

Monk
Like most monkeys, I used serenity for the majority of my D3....career...? LOL

For the past 2 months, I've figured out a way to get away from serenity. I have 2 sick builds that are very similar but can be used in different situations. I can farm mp10 with one of them

BoH - Blazing Wrath
SSS - Fulminating Onslaught [u]OR[/u] Wave of Light - Empowering Wave
Blinding Flash - FaIth in the Light
Overawe
Thunderclap
Cyclone.

One with Everything
Guardian's Path (I'm a skorn monk so if you are dual then use fleeting or seize or whatever you like)
Combination Strike OR Guiding Light in groups with a melee ally

My stats without enchantress are:
49K HP
All Resi 580
Armor 3400
1.57 atk/sec
54.5 CC and
Lifesteal (LS) 5.30
235K unbuffed DPS.

I don't have any spirit regen gear (unless you count Inna...LOL)

If your stats are lower, then just use the builds at lower MPs, simple fix.

Now, the key is.... Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS. Meaning: you cannot and should not spam ANY SKILL, ever. Even your mantra should never be spammed. Once every 3 seconds...that's it.

The SSS build is better for the higher MP or in groups with people that have characters not as good as yours. It gives you a bailout. I only use SSS on elite packs or if I know an elite is not going to be around for a while (dead ends, just had a double pack, etc). Between packs, I'm hitting with overawe and blind.

Each skill is both defensive, and massively offensive. SSS just by itself is several things in 1 (instant full health with minimal LS, ranged, momentary invulnerability, massive dps, , splash damage, nightmare with living follower or allies nearby). Blind can give you a second or two to get out of a tight squeeze. Cyclones are massive for LS. Thunderclap knocks back every 3rd hit. The list goes on and on.

I use WoL build for MP9 solo and Mp8 groups <----as long as the group is decent. Same sort of thing applies, it's defensive because it knocks back and also is a great source of LS.

Now, here's where it gets intense. A lot of people don't realize that Blinding Flash with Faith in The Light Rune increases ALL ATTACKS. Not just your main attack, EVERYTHING.

So if I have my BoH active with either combo strike or guiding light buffed, then I hit overawe, then I hit blind, then I hit SSS (all within 1 second)...it's a move I like to call Holy Trinity lol. Can do 20M damage plus splash if it crits right.

You can do the same thing with WoL but hit WoL twice (might have to throw a few punches between each bell but it'll fire before 3 seconds is up).

Message below if you have any questions. If not, happy slaying :)

GG and GL out there.

Omni
04/18/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Omniscient
Now, the key is.... Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS

Why not? as long as you have a steady flow of spirit regen,

I spam WoL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEoS_9otTE
i spam all day n dont die
We're FORUMONKS not MONKEYS. That just sounds silly...

Do you have a banana fetish or something?

¯\(º_o)/¯
do you have a big banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzT7ms5kwU

its !@#$ but a good watch ;)
04/18/2013 06:28 PMPosted by yuhhaur

04/18/2013 10:35 PMPosted by smokymkpot

So you're telling me you never use any other skills other than your basic attack and WoL? That's it? nothing else?.....seems like a waste to me

You realize that by combining Overawe and WoL together you do 48% more dps with it, yes?
Favorite replacement for Serenity: Dashing Strike. Rune of Choice: Quicksilver.

No cooldown, low spirit/spammable, high mobility for oh !@#$ and getting around the map. SSS has too long of a cooldown for my liking. Unlikely you're going to kill anything that really needs to die in one cast in a group situation on high MP's. As for mobility, you can dash to any destructible/enemy, I run ahead of the group and get my EP's on mobs, then move forwards to pull even more, then dash back sometimes before they even catch up. For defensive purposes you can get out of almost any %^-*ty situation, and engage packs where you want, get through clogged doorways/corners, whatever. Also other runes can provide even more utility (movespeed/stun)

As for spamming skills, this build I'm using allows for lots of spamming. This is my CM wiz/group build of choice (except I use overawe if not with another monk) and sometimes I'll switch the rune on EP to The Flesh is Weak for the damage buff. Not the best for killing elites solo, but great for solo COTA.
04/19/2013 10:45 AMPosted by punisher
Unlikely you're going to kill anything that really needs to die in one cast in a group situation on high MP's.

The point is that you're using SSS in conjunction with other skills. 10-20M dps + splash is pretty good every 30 seconds. This will pretty much one shot an entire pack for me on Mp7 and do quite a bit of damage on packs for MPs higher than that. There are just too many ways SSS can be used for me not to love it on MP10.

If anything, the replacement for Serenity is not SSS, it's blind.

I can almost guarantee that dashing strike on MP10 is not going to be very useful.
Now, the key is.... Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS. Meaning: you cannot and should not spam ANY SKILL, ever. Even your mantra should never be spammed. Once every 3 seconds...that's it.

COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG

You are using 2h. thats why you cant spam.

I spam bells all day long. and it heals 1/2 my hp each time.
overawe + 3 bells before 3 second buff is over. rinse and repeat.
obviously for dw....
OMFG .. so once every 3 seconds is not spam .. really just really LMAO !
with that gear you could choose talents at random and do mp10
COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG

obviously for dw....

We must have a different definition of spam....i consider spamming to be mashing the buttons until you're blue in the face (ie: CM Wizard). If you are doing this with WoL....you would technically not have enough spirit for anything else. You would get up to 40 spirit or 75, depending on the rune, and then you would be at 0 spirit again over and over.

What you've described above is exactly what I recommend....build up spirit, hit overawe, hit 3 WoL whille attacking with FoT....build up spirit, hit overawe and 3 bells...etc etc.
04/19/2013 01:45 PMPosted by setsae
OMFG .. so once every 3 seconds is not spam .. really just really LMAO !

No it isnt lol. Spamming is button mashing IMO....just keep hitting it and hitting it (even when you don't have spirit for the skill) so as soon as you have enough spirit for the skill, it's immediately spent.

What I like to do is calculate what skills to use and when, depending on my situation, not just mash buttons over and over.

If i engage and have little to no spirit, I just use blind and build spirit.

If I have medium spirit, I'll use overawe and blind until i build spirit.

If I'm at max spirit I'll hit overawe, blind and SSS successively.

Of course, sweeping wind is top priority so all of the situations above except situation 1 are assuming I have that going.

Using spirit efficiently is very important.
"Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS. Meaning: you cannot and should not spam ANY SKILL, ever."

wrong

So you're telling me you never use any other skills other than your basic attack and WoL? That's it? nothing else?.....seems like a waste to me

You realize that by combining Overawe and WoL together you do 48% more dps with it, yes?

04/19/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Omniscient
i consider spamming to be mashing the buttons until you're blue in the face

You realize by combining Overawe 48%, FITL 30%, GL in coop for 16%, and in 5seconds Nirvana time you can spam 8 bells, non-nirvana 7seconds you can get a steady 1-second interval bell spamming? Oh and I missed out a 8% from combo strike!
04/18/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Omniscient

to agree with the previous poster...

The fastest way i can kill ghom on mp6 is by spamming wol-emp.wave. and i've tried !@#$loads of builds i can afford to build. and i have no where near your stats. with 140k pdps my monk kills mp6 ghom (36mil hp) in just under 16s with bell spamming.
04/19/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Omniscient

I use Quickening, and I'm able to use mantra activation with Wave of Light.

Also, Forumonkey sounds like "four monkeys"
04/19/2013 10:00 PMPosted by Kupo
I use Quickening, and I'm able to use mantra activation with Wave of Light.

I like quickening for Tempest Rush builds and that's about it. The splash damage and knockback from thunderclap is just too good to ignore.
20 mil damage every 30 secs?!?!

Wow, that si like 666,666.67 dps.

That is right up there with, like, say, any basic spirit generator attack![/quote)

Did you even read the post? LOL Can you do 666Kdps AND fill your health AND be temporarily invulnerable AND do it from a distance AND prevent yourself from being surrounded AND do splash damage on top of that with any other skill in the monk arsenal? The 666K is the cherry on the sundae, pal. Try running MP10 without your precious serenity and see how it goes. You missed the TITLE OF THIS POST. Look up and read again.

"Monk is NOT A SPAMMING CLASS. Meaning: you cannot and should not spam ANY SKILL, ever."

That is correct. Let me put it this way....by not spamming sayyyy WoL, I increase my total dps by 78% every 15 seonds for 3 seconds at a time. Is that simple enough for you?

You realize by combining Overawe 48%, FITL 30%, GL in coop for 16%, and in 5seconds Nirvana time you can spam 8 bells, non-nirvana 7seconds you can get a steady 1-second interval bell spamming? Oh and I missed out a 8% from combo strike!

LOL i think.....this is what I was trying to say....? Not even sure what Nirvana is though. Good band. Kurt Cobain, such a tragedy. Read my post lol.

[quote="85675421304"]COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG

obviously for dw....

I wanted to retouch on this genius's theory of "why i can't spam" a skill. Let's say you are a dual wield with 2.5 aps...which to be honest is quite a bit. You might have slightly more but whatever. Poor old me has only 1.6 aps with my Skorn. Lets do the math...using 6 spirit per attack of thunderclap:

1.6x6 = 9.6 x 35% increase from GP = 12.96
2.5x6 = 15

OMG 2 more spirit per second???????????????????? That's like soooooooo much better! Holy crap. Get me an EF right away please. Sensing the sarcasm? You shouldn't spam skills as monk, ever...period. 78% total dps increase every 12 seconds for 3 seconds, bra.