Dull simplicity with better graphics

General Discussion
Over time, game developers have shifted from including all the variables that could go into a game towards the few variables needed for it actually to be a game.

Dull simplicity with better and better graphics is what it amounts to.

For instance take Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete. There are 122 different types of units each with their own advantage against other types. Take into accound the building order of your castle, resources, map size, difficulty, artifacts, terrains, etc, and you have an enourmous world with a real challenge to learn it all and test yourself against what you have learned. Each time you play you learn something new that can be applied to your next playthrough. Each map posses a different challenge making no two plays throughs the same.

Diablo 3 has numerous creatures but only a few are distinct and pose a separate challenge to fight against. The real challenge is honestly battling the different combination of elite skills which is not difficult to learn. You need NOT learn the heirarchy of any item type because level requirement and stats are the only important factors, which the best are lvl 63 and the stats can be bought off the AH. Learning different skill combinations was a huge and fun task when the game first came out but honestly I don't know of anyone now who plays that hasn't looked up online which skill combinations work best (opposite of what Jay Wilson said would happen with D3, imagine that). I believe it was said that D3 was made so that anyone could pick it up and play, and when that is the case, it is usually a game that will quickly become boring and seem like a worthless $60. Once you are through the static content, you are through the content, end of story.
Agree,

I see this happening more and more lately.

Morrowind GOTY edition kept me entertain for a long time, then Oblivion was Meh as far as gameplay with great graphics.

Speaking of Might and Magic, Swords of Xeen is a fantastic game but is quite old and the graphics are ...........
Old doesn't bother me one bit because the old games typically are more challenging and more rewarding. Recently I have been playing Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire which I must say has so many components that it has made me all the more eager to play and learn them!

Also BattleToads on Sega Genesis! Man what a brain challenge!
So then Blizz needed to go to the mensa crowd (top 1% of the IQ rating). And have them design D3 where the only ones that can fully understand the game would be other players that are mensa level IQ. Would that solve the problem?
04/17/2013 04:52 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
So then Blizz needed to go to the mensa crowd (top 1% of the IQ rating). And have them design D3 where the only ones that can fully understand the game would be other players that are mensa level IQ. Would that solve the problem?

So, You think that because I can understand and do well at a game like D2Lod that I am some kind of super genius?

Well, thanks for the compliment but we dont really need to go to extremes ok?
Is there a dynamic economy with many components?

Does the weapon tier have a purpose?

Why do our characters enter a static phase once we hit level 60?

Why are two level 60 Wizards exact replicas if you simply swap gear and switch skills?

What happened to random maps?

How is it that dungeon levels now seem pointless?

Why is does it seem like char levels 1-59 are a hoop to jump through before the true characters are playable?

Why have levels 1-59?

How is it that at level 60 when real potential is unlocked that our characters are rather static other than our stats we get from those pictures we equip?

What happened to unlocking a new tier of gear that just made our character look awesome AND play awesome?
there comes a point where added complexity is just bad for the game. Morrowind was great, but I didn't use half the skills available (spear comes to mind) because I had no motivation to, since there were plenty of other options to do the same exact thing, often better.

Oblivion was perhaps too dumbed down compared to Morrowind, but skyrim found (or at least came close to) the happy medium where you have a variety of options that don't overlap too much.
04/17/2013 05:08 PMPosted by sheltem

So, You think that because I can understand and do well at a game like D2Lod that I am some kind of super genius?

Well, thanks for the compliment but we dont really need to go to extremes ok?

Oh and it took a super intellect to understand D2:LOD. I was using an extreme to see if that is what the OP is looking for. I said nothing at all about D2:LOD. In fact that game is only about 1-2% harder than this game. Players of that game that were new or that sucked at gaming only made it harder on themselves than what it was.
Same trend in game studios as in Hollywood movies: Indies are having a hard time and the biggest selling movies/games are those insufferable summer blockbusters full of special effects. They're decent entertainment, I guess, and very expensive to make, but lack any cultural value or endearing features - and they will never win an Academy Award.
D3 is to games what Transformers is to movies. Eye candy, not brain food.